La Figaro 339
Apr 1, 2015 at 4:08 AM Post #2,657 of 6,903
Thank YOU!!! I am so encouraged by your words because they sound reasonable. I will be buying a LF 339 in a week or so. I am so excited, and my eyes are indeed keen on new tubes, mentioned in this thread, that are suitable for my headphones.

Headfonia has a very nice review if you haven't already seen it and you want to be swayed even more towards purchasing this amp 
biggrin.gif
. I personally love mine. The only gripe I have with it is that it has no RCA outs for pre amp options though the phone out can be used for this with an adapter, does sound brilliant though especially with the HD 650's.

Here is the review link: http://www.headfonia.com/lafigaro-339-my-fav-otl-amp/

Apr 1, 2015 at 4:18 AM Post #2,658 of 6,903
Thank YOU!!! I am so encouraged by your words because they sound reasonable. I will be buying a LF 339 in a week or so. I am so excited, and my eyes are indeed keen on new tubes, mentioned in this thread, that are suitable for my headphones.

Here are some driver tubes well recommended in this thread, I have been eyeing for a while but the price is so high:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4-PIECES-NOS-TUNG-SOL-QUAD-6SJ7GT-VT-116-6SJ7-VT-116A-SMALL-PUNCH-VINTAGE-TUBES-/281593663048?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41904a4e48

Power tubes; the russian svetlana + stock chinese 6N139 / shuguang 6AS7G are the cleanest I have heard and are as low as $8 - $10 per tube.

Apr 1, 2015 at 4:45 AM Post #2,659 of 6,903
  Here are some driver tubes well recommended in this thread, I have been eyeing for a while but the price is so high:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4-PIECES-NOS-TUNG-SOL-QUAD-6SJ7GT-VT-116-6SJ7-VT-116A-SMALL-PUNCH-VINTAGE-TUBES-/281593663048?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41904a4e48

Power tubes; the russian svetlana + stock chinese 6N139 / shuguang 6AS7G are the cleanest I have heard and are as low as $8 - $10 per tube.

the seller, old_guy_radiola  is quite expensive. He has nice tubes though. I did a group buy for these tubes a long time ago. They were 80€/pair. I probably can do it again if there are enough people interested, I wouldn't do it under 10 tubes though

Just reply in this thread if you're interested

Apr 1, 2015 at 7:28 AM Post #2,660 of 6,903
It's funny, I find this thread suffers the same issues of a few very specific devices/pieces of gear on Head-fi - 

The gear is SO good, that people often buy it, and have no reason to upgrade it. Often, they are so happy with it, they have no need to discuss it at length.

Throw me in that basket! I've been loving my 339 since the day I bought it, and I rarely post in this thread.

Is the unit still relevant in 2015? I say: Absolutely. 

Apr 1, 2015 at 7:34 AM Post #2,661 of 6,903
^ what are the tubes pictured?

Quote:

the seller, old_guy_radiola  is quite expensive. He has nice tubes though. I did a group buy for these tubes a long time ago. They were 80€/pair. I probably can do it again if there are enough people interested, I wouldn't do it under 10 tubes though

Just reply in this thread if you're interested

I would be in for a few pairs.

Apr 1, 2015 at 7:44 AM Post #2,663 of 6,903
On the topic of tubes, is it normal for a 6SJ7 to hum for more than 24 hours? Recently got some Sylvania 6SJ7GT's and they have been running, on and off, for a few days. Should I hold out for it or will it keep making noise? It almost sounds like a ground loop, 50-60 hz.

Other tubes have gotten better after 12-24 hrs use.

Apr 1, 2015 at 8:53 AM Post #2,665 of 6,903
I can't, other tubes have no hum in the amplifier though. More reason to get the rca mesh plates

Apr 1, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #2,668 of 6,903
Thank you. I actually very much recognize your credible name after reading this thread. I am coming from the perspective of someone who is suspicious of dilapidated threads, despite their vibrancy and vitality in the past. Much of this thread's energy corresponds with 2012-mid 2014. As someone who is new to LF339, I naturally ask why. Have they grown sick of it? Have they suddenly realized they can get better from somewhere else? Will I be buying a product that is obsolete?

I know the glowing reviews and the hiccups and failures, particularly during the disastrous customs procedures, the necessity of rolling tubes for certain headphones, posts I've bookmarked; I own HE-500 and HD-650, both of which this amp drives well.

I am just scared that the sudden lapse in activity indicates an awareness of the amps limitations not revealed in the thread.

It would be comforting to know I am wrong and that headfiers just are enjoying their music and feel no compulsion to post here.

I still really enjoy my 339.  It isn't the best OTL that I own, but it has a certain character and quality unlike other amps I've heard.  

Apr 1, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #2,669 of 6,903

Users who are viewing this thread

Back