La Figaro 339
Jan 20, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #2,101 of 6,903
Thinking about getting this for my HE-500's along with the HRT II+ DAC. Would that be a good choice or should I look instead at Woo or Little Dot? Pretty new to this so just want something that sounds and looks good =)

Jan 20, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #2,103 of 6,903
The HE-500 sounds great out of the 339, it's pretty well documented at this point.  I can't comment on the HRT though.  

+1 i totally agree...i had a 337 (sibling of 339) and it paired perfect with my he500. U wont regret if u get a 339 or 337 for ur he500.

Jan 21, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #2,104 of 6,903
Sounds like this is the amp I am going with then. Will be my first tube amp so pretty excited. Should I stay with the ol' make sure headphones are plugged in when powering on with this amp or does it matter?

Jan 21, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #2,105 of 6,903
Sounds like this is the amp I am going with then. Will be my first tube amp so pretty excited. Should I stay with the ol' make sure headphones are plugged in when powering on with this amp or does it matter?

Noooooooooo!!!!! STOP!!!!!
- Never have the headphones connected to the amp when swtiching off and on!!! Never!!! I always connected them when the amp was on for about 15 min when i was ready to listen to it..
- And let the amp warm up for 15 min before using...the tubes need to warm up to sound on their best.
- And dont change tubes when the amp is still warm...let them cool down..and dont put cold tubes on a warm amp.
- And pls pls pls...pls pls... Put volume on zero before u switch off or switch on the amp
- And when u switch of the amp..wait a few minutes to switch it on again..
- when changing tubes..be carefull that u allign the new ones the right way..there is a lip on one side that goes into the lip in the socket..if u dont do this u can damage the socket and or tube.

TiP: get urself some good feet, like herbies audiolab tenderfoot..they are affordable and did wonders for vibration control..my 337 was very sensitve on vibrations...those feet helped a lot and to my ears the sound got fatter..more lower bass..

Another TIP: do some tube rolling... 5998's, 5693 red hots, 6080wb slotted graphite plates, sj7gt mesh plates are a good start :wink:. As this amp reacts extremely well on tuberolling..if u want more info about tubes ask ultrainferno..he knows a lot about tubes for the 339/337.

TIP 3: i found out myself that better powercables inprove the sound a bit..and Connect the TWO powerconnectors DIRECTLY into a wallsocket...my 337 sounded worse when there was some kind of box in between... But if electrixicty spikes are a concern in ur area then ofcourse pls use a conditioner of some sort..i would advice a blue circle PLC thingee...they are affordable and good.

ANDWHEN. U DO BUY HIM...have fun!!! U will love it..its a very good amp...i really cant believe why this gem has so little admirors.... Compared to the lyr this is a better amp...but somehow millions of people boight that amp..is it maybe because the 339/337 is chinese made and the shiit US made?

Jan 21, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #2,106 of 6,903

WOW... I've been away from Headfi for several years, and am now kind of lurking back here and there.  Is this now an accepted practice!!???

I was ALWAYS taught to unplug the cans, and turn the volume pot all the way down whenever powering up or down the circuit.

I learned this the hard way, making some gain resistor changes on my Larocco PPA.  I forgot I had OPA637s in all 3 channels.  They went crazy into DC oscillation and it FRIED the right driver in my HD580... which I had left plugged in.  These OP amps are crazy sensitive to gain, and DO NOT behave nicely at low gain settings.  I meant to be using the OPA627s... lesson learned.

Jan 21, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #2,107 of 6,903
WOW... I've been away from Headfi for several years, and am now kind of lurking back here and there.  Is this now an accepted practice!!???

I was ALWAYS taught to unplug the cans, and turn the volume pot all the way down whenever powering up or down the circuit.

I learned this the hard way, making some gain resistor changes on my Larocco PPA.  I forgot I had OPA637s in all 3 channels.  They went crazy into DC oscillation and it FRIED the right driver in my HD580... which I had left plugged in.  These OP amps are crazy sensitive to gain, and DO NOT behave nicely at low gain settings.  I meant to be using the OPA627s... lesson learned.

Welcome back :p

Jan 21, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #2,108 of 6,903
oh wow, I read that on another thread on here and I'm glad I asked here before trying it =O will definitely make sure I plug in only after letting the amp warm up and unplug after turning the volume to zero before turning the amp off. Will also see if I can get some good feet and maybe some tubes after some research. Thanks a TON for the tips everyone! =)

Jan 21, 2014 at 1:46 PM Post #2,109 of 6,903
oh wow, I read that on another thread on here and I'm glad I asked here before trying it =O will definitely make sure I plug in only after letting the amp warm up and unplug after turning the volume to zero before turning the amp off. Will also see if I can get some good feet and maybe some tubes after some research. Thanks a TON for the tips everyone! =)

It's different depending on the type of tube amp.  I'd highly recommend going through each page in this thread, it was discussed at one point and if you plan on purchasing the amp it will help you with tubes/questions/experiences.  

Jan 29, 2014 at 9:03 AM Post #2,110 of 6,903
Probably a repeat of a simple rule: Turn a tube amp on AFTER you have headphones/speakers connected. Turning on tube amps without a load connected is NOT a good thing. I have received this advice from tube amp manufacturers.

Jan 29, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #2,112 of 6,903
That depends how it is built really. Even Bottlehead advises to power an OTL on without load. Personally, I stick to that rule

Yep me too..the guy who had modded my 337 gave me instructions to do that..and my 337 had been working flawlessly for 2years for at least 3hours every day..my headphones were undamaged!

Feb 17, 2014 at 4:23 AM Post #2,115 of 6,903
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a proper tube amp to drive my HD650's and I'm almost sure that the 339 is the right choice. However, I also happen to have a pair of HE-5LE cans and I'd like to know if any of you tried this combo. Will the 339 have enough power? The HE-500 which seem to be a good match for this amp and HE-5LE have the same impedance but according to tech specs -5LE have lower sensitivity (87.5dB vs 89db), At the moment I'm using a 1.2mW/30ohm solid state amp to drive the Hifiman and it's more than enough power, I rarely exceed 1 o'clock on the dial. But the power output figures for 339 seem to be unavailable. 

Thanks for any help. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back