La Figaro 339
Feb 20, 2013 at 4:11 AM Post #1,397 of 6,909
Quote:
Anyone uses the 337 here that can comment if there's a SIGNIFICANT difference with the 339?

Cheers.

It probably should be pointed out that there are 3-4 different versions of 337, with the most significant differences being output capacitance, and the main power resistors.

Heres mine, with the capacitor bracket removed.  Not shown are the  two cooling fans I added to the chassis base to keep the resistors cool.

Bad choice of caps, results in a ~98 Hz high pass filter when used with 32 ohm cans.  Surprisingly the amp is not bass-shy at all.  But it really needs around ~250uf of total capacitance for optimum use with lower Z phones.  Mine is not going to remain stock for long.

other peoples amps...
I think they realized their error and addressed it with subsequent versions...  Not sure why they switched resistors, but there are two cases of overheat failure I know of.  Not a high frequency occurrence, but something to consider.

Another version with even more caps.

Latest rendition... re-arranged caps and 2x additional power resistors.

Theres also one more older version, similar to mine but without the preamp circuit.  WWW prices (new) have ranged from ~$800-1300 for the various models.

Feb 20, 2013 at 5:39 AM Post #1,398 of 6,909
i have the latest version of the 337 (in the last pic)...thats why its doing so well with the he500 i guess with all those extra power transistors..lolz..am in contact with a tube modder and he said he can upgrade it to an even higher level with what he calls Ultra Caps.... :)

Feb 20, 2013 at 7:54 AM Post #1,399 of 6,909
Those are the amps I looked at and that gave me the idea about switching the elecrolytic caps in the 339 for film MKP caps - If I'm not mistaken the particular caps are green and not exactly the MKP type which is the best type of film resonably priced - Anyway I was unable to source those green film caps so I choosed what was available from my supplier-

Feb 20, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #1,400 of 6,909
Quote:
Drop yuking an email a few days back. No response from him
frown.gif

That has been my experience as well. When I have gotten a response their use of English is so bad that it is impossible to communicate. I have one of their 332C amps and I like what it does, but don't try to communicate with the factory. In my experience it is useless to try. I would have ordered a 339 from them but the lack of communication skills and the lapse between attempts, sometimes months, kept me from going forward.

Feb 20, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #1,402 of 6,909
Quote:
If I can't be guaranteed to get a 6JS7GT with mesh, am I better off just ordering the 5693s?

I admit the gt mesh plates are very hard to get..am looking for a spare pair also..the 5693 reds are wonderfull tubes also..less detaillike and a bit warmer..but pairs well with the 5998's..they only look so ugly...red!!! 
Am also looking for a pair of GEC A1834 brown based..considered even better then the 5998's..only the price!!!.350gbp for a matched pair..thats 540usd good old us dollars
eek.gif

Feb 20, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #1,403 of 6,909
Quote:
Those are the amps I looked at and that gave me the idea about switching the elecrolytic caps in the 339 for film MKP caps - If I'm not mistaken the particular caps are green and not exactly the MKP type which is the best type of film resonably priced - Anyway I was unable to source those green film caps so I choosed what was available from my supplier-

I m pretty sure the output coupling caps in these amps (337) are Vishay ERO...

Unfortunately I dont have the space in my 337 to use soda can HUGE MKP film caps.  I need about 200-250uf at 400-450V.  A film cap would have been my first choice though.

WALL-Y and I have been exchanging messages and he suggested using low ESR electrolytic caps for the bulk of my capacitance reservoir, and bypass-cap it with smaller (~.5uf) film caps or paper-oil.  I have about 82x77x51mm volume space per side to work in once I remove the OEM 51uf.

Feb 20, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #1,404 of 6,909
Quote:
I admit the gt mesh plates are very hard to get..am looking for a spare pair also..the 5693 reds are wonderfull tubes also..less detaillike and a bit warmer..but pairs well with the 5998's..they only look so ugly...red!!! 
Am also looking for a pair of GEC A1834 brown based..considered even better then the 5998's..only the price!!!.350gbp for a matched pair..thats 540usd good old us dollars
eek.gif

Really, the 5693 are supposed to be the most detailed I always presumed. My 6SJ7WGT mesh plates are still burning in, can't compare yet.
Good luck on those GEC!

Feb 20, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #1,405 of 6,909
Quote:

Really, the 5693 are supposed to be the most detailed I always presumed. My 6SJ7WGT mesh plates are still burning in, can't compare yet.
Good luck on those GEC!

I haven't heard either pair, but I'd read that the 6SJ7GT with mesh was more detailed but colder, while the 5693s had less detail, but more warmth.  Since I'm using Beyers, anything I can do to make them warmer is probably a good thing.

Feb 20, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #1,406 of 6,909
Quote:

I haven't heard either pair, but I'd read that the 6SJ7GT with mesh was more detailed but colder, while the 5693s had less detail, but more warmth.  Since I'm using Beyers, anything I can do to make them warmer is probably a good thing.

Change headphone :wink:

Feb 20, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #1,407 of 6,909
Feb 20, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #1,409 of 6,909
hi guys, what has your experience been buying from yuking09.com?
I ordered a 339 yesterday but only got paypal receipt for the payment.

No order confirmation from the website.  I emailed them to specify 110v and ask for a estimated shipment date/tracking
info as I imagine someone would need to be home to sign but no reply.

Can you tell me what kind of turn around time to expect?

Feb 21, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #1,410 of 6,909
Quote:
He500-337-5998-5693..maybe a combo u would love?
biggrin.gif

I might eventually change.  I think I'll hang onto the 339 for a while :wink:  Isn't the 339 just a slightly better 337, anyway?  I need to find somewhere to audition some headphones, though--maybe a meet next time there's a meet in the area.  I actually like the Beyers as all around headphones--and I have constantly sore muscles around my jaw due to a rare condition so they're one of the only brands I've tried that don't bother me.

My one issue with them is they come up a little cold on certain genres of music.  The =C=s I currently have on help with that a little, and the RCA's really helped.  The only reason I went back to the =C=s is I'm playing through Dead Space 3 and it seemed a shame to waste RCA's on a game.  I'll order the 5693s, but may even leave the stock input tubes in for the same reason.  As soon as I'm done with the game, though I'll switch back.

Would socket savers work to switch tubes on the fly (so I can listen to music using good tubes while I'm working and put the cheap tubes in at night for games and TV) or will they just degrade the sound in general?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back