La Figaro 339
May 21, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #826 of 6,909
This page shows the reference 339 and Yuking says Bendix 6080 is the king of tube and that "dynamic and resolution, everything is perfect"(google translate)

Keph, is this your amp? Caddock resistors all around, BC caps and upgraded PT... Yummy!

I searched to those caddock and they are pricey!

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=zh-CN&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=fr&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.diybuy.net%2Fthread-416700-1-1.html

Here are shots from that page:

May 21, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #828 of 6,909
Quote:
This page shows the reference 339 and Yuking says Bendix 6080 is the king of tube and that "dynamic and resolution, everything is perfect"(google translate)

Keph, is this your amp? Caddock resistors all around, BC caps and upgraded PT... Yummy!

I searched to those caddock and they are pricey!

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=zh-CN&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=fr&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.diybuy.net%2Fthread-416700-1-1.html

Here are shots from that page:

oh yeah for that one only the buyer uses the 6080.but his(Yuking) favorite tubes is the 5998A and the GEC CV1067..and that not my amp..mine is the less beef versions..
Quote:
keph sold his modded 339, he's crazy. He misses it now, that's what you get for selling a great amp :wink:

Stop making me think about my 339..
frown.gif

If only i have many money i would still have my Modded 339 and my WA6SE now..

May 22, 2012 at 9:22 AM Post #829 of 6,909
All apologies Keph, I missed that info! Sorry for your 339, it must have been a sweet amp! I'm thinking about modding it, but I really don't know tube amps that well. I would like to change the power caps and coupling caps...

May 22, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #830 of 6,909
Quote:
Got my Bendix 6080wb (red lettering shows JAN-CEA-6080WB). I love the sound! It is hard to describe but the music it produces is incredible so far! I cannot really compare to the western 6AS7G I have but this sound incredible! I was afraid because Skylab didn't like 6080 with his 337, but I had such a deal on a NOS pair, and seeing Yuking is using those Bendix in his reference 339, I said why not!
biggrin.gif

I am not disapointed! But when used with 6SJ7 I find the sound a little dull and liveless. I tried using it with EF800 telefunken and the sound is back to life! I think the Bendix are very sensitive to driver tube.

Also I received a pair of Tung Sol Mesh 6SJ7GT. Very nice they are completely silent background. The most silent background of all my driver tube including GEC Z719, EF800 TFK, RCA jan 6AC7... Not a hint of hum, that is very pleasing!
As for the sound, TS 6SJ7GT with RCA or GE 6AS7G it is incredibly good! But with Bendix not that good, less relief, less highs and air, resulting in warmer sound when increasing volume to counteract this effect.

On the other hand Bendix with EF800 TFK is very alive and maybe better bass and more air than EF800 with 6AS7G ! That's really strange as the combination are not predictable!

I will give it more burning time to really judge the sound!

WoW! nice tubes the red labeled Bendix looks "hot". I guess TS 6SJ7GT was not cheap wasn't It ?
They are a great sounding and unique tube, definitely worth it  to have .
My pair of TS6SJ7GT needed 30 hours or so to get it best. Having sort of good sounding tubes I must only take care to have spare ones to keep it as a backup to be enjoy with my lf339 for long,long years. Rolling the tubes is a lot of fun but further progress can be done only by upgrade with better parts or modding the amp which I gonna do in near future.I think modding with better parts will release dormant potential in this amp and bring it to the higher level.

May 22, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #831 of 6,909
Well I had a pretty reasonable deal on them! Both bendix and TS were reasonably priced strangely! Looking at your TS mine I noticed they are different, not only the lettering but also the upper clear spacer is not the same on mine.
The Bendix are strange to describe soundwise, very different from 6AS7G, but overall the sound has more presence, pace, speed than 6AS7G. I really love to have the option now and also because those tubes are so beautifully masculine! The rod is gold plated and the mica are ceramic woohoo! Those graphite plate are massive too! It's maybe a placebo effect but those tubes sounds solid and fast!
In my setup as I have a EQ I don't have any bass lacking, in fact I found the tighter bass of Bendix to have more impact, more control and slam than RCA 6AS7G or GE 6AS7G. Surely the later are very warm but can sometimes sound mushy and wooly in comparaison. I could live happily with both and for sure having the choise is nice.

As for the TS 6SJ7GT they are a welcome driver that is warm sounding, I would mirror what you have found that they are not very detailed but overall the relaxed presentation with the black background is very nice to have. I don't know if it's because the tubes have burnt in but now I really like Bendix with TS combination, it's warm and fast with good bass!
Also I noted that TS 6SJ7GT produces more low bass than tfk EF800 (with Bendix noticeably, and with 6AS7GT also but more because there are less highs), but I would have to do more listenning analysis to determine if it's not memory playing with me senses!

May 22, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #832 of 6,909
Quick noob question...

This amp has 2 volume controls correct? 1 for left and 1 for right? How do you perfectly match the volume for left and right? It seems to me you could get it close but not perfect.

May 23, 2012 at 5:01 AM Post #833 of 6,909
It is easier to balance the sound from left to right actually. I don't have that problem because I control the volume from my preamp which is DAC...
If you want absolute balance with your sources just use a mono record or sound test and balance the knob position.
But in reality it is not that difficult to use the two knobs, it's old school! Audiophile preamp or very expensive passive preamp used to be like that 20 years ago..

May 25, 2012 at 3:45 AM Post #838 of 6,909
Very nice!! I wish I got them while I could have... Anyway those are beautiful tubes! I love the bugle boys!
Quote:
Here are the 7236's with the EF80's.
Listening to the new Silversun Pickups through the LCD-2's. The bass slam is best yet from this amp.

May 25, 2012 at 3:57 AM Post #839 of 6,909
Quote:

Also I received a pair of Tung Sol Mesh 6SJ7GT. Very nice they are completely silent background. The most silent background of all my driver tube including GEC Z719, EF800 TFK, RCA jan 6AC7... Not a hint of hum, that is very pleasing!
As for the sound, TS 6SJ7GT with RCA or GE 6AS7G it is incredibly good! But with Bendix not that good, less relief, less highs and air, resulting in warmer sound when increasing volume to counteract this effect.

These look gorgeous! Maybe I should get me a pair (34€ matched). How do they glow?
I never saw or found a pair of 7236 for sale, nice find Sluker!

May 25, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #840 of 6,909
Quote:Originally Posted by telecaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have a plan to upgrade this amp:
I want to put these in place of those samyong caps and no name resistors:

I still wonder what filter cap I'm gonna use.
I was going electrolytic all over but I heard It's best to avoid them as much as possible. So I choosed MKP instead.

And I want to swap the coupling caps with those :

The problem is only parts would cost me 200€... Also I need to learn to safely discharge the current!

Anyone knows if it's worthwhile to increase the cap values everywhere?

Always it’s possible to improve things,  Lf339 was designed to provide a good performance/cost ratio. But the sound can always be improved on.

I modded my previous La figaro amp 332c by simply replacing output coupling caps. The 332c was designed to work with high impedance cans in my case with hd650, it is good sonding amp but weak in bass region. Rolling tubes do not resolve issue with the bass, it does but just slightly.The chassis  was to small to put in proprer value (uF) film caps, the stock output coupling caps is 40uF but there was left room to put another caps wchich I did, doubled the capacity to 80uF had a little effect so removed the stock caps and go with 2x150uF Mundorf M-Lytic HV - electrolte  bypased with 1uF M-CAP Supreme Silver & Oil. This time the improvement was huge in all regions the highs, mids and the bass went strong, dynamic and deep like newer before.

The output capacitors will have some impact on the final sound. Solen, MKP, Vishay or Mundorf MKP are good choice and you don't have to bypass them.
The stock value(capacity) is 130uF increase the capacity for example 220uF  will allow extend bass response into 32 ohm headphones.If higher impedance headphones are used you can stick with smaller value of output capacitors.

You have to be careful it is a tube amplifier and there are dangerous voltages present! it will need some understanding of electronics ability to solder and use simple test equipment such as a multimeter.Remember that even when switched off there is still a high voltage. To discharge the high voltage stored in capacitors in power section you can use a 25 watt bulb with connected leads, short the circuit betwin +&- will seftly discharge the caps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back