La Figaro 339
Nov 11, 2021 at 3:55 AM Post #6,603 of 6,909
I'd just go for it. The added heater current is 0.3A, which is only about 10% of the nominal for a 6080 plus a 6SJ7. It's not going to set your amp in fire. Besides, the heater voltage from the trans is too high to begin with. Adding a bit more load helps taming it down a little bit.

Nov 11, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #6,604 of 6,909
I'd just go for it. The added heater current is 0.3A, which is only about 10% of the nominal for a 6080 plus a 6SJ7. It's not going to set your amp in fire. Besides, the heater voltage from the trans is too high to begin with. Adding a bit more load helps taming it down a little bit.
I'll give it a try. Sounds like if somethings goin bad it shouldn't be too hard to notice?

Nov 18, 2021 at 5:26 PM Post #6,607 of 6,909
Fun never ends! I painted the tube shield in black but I was dismayed by my crafting in general, so one day when I was buying stationary in Target and found this pencil box. Works perfectly!

IMG_1286.jpeg

Nov 18, 2021 at 6:05 PM Post #6,610 of 6,909
Looks nice! From whom You need to protect the tubes? :wink:

Oh, for lowering the noise due to the electronic field created by the cables below the tubes (339i does not have a proper shield)

Nov 18, 2021 at 6:07 PM Post #6,611 of 6,909
Nov 18, 2021 at 6:35 PM Post #6,613 of 6,909
Nov 18, 2021 at 7:41 PM Post #6,614 of 6,909
Does any metal work?
It is called a Faraday cage and anything metal will do. (Obviously audiophile grade gold plated unobtanium will work the best - This is a joke)).
As far as I know a top cover is not needed but based on my expirements the results are better if you ground the enclosure to an exposed metal point on the chassis of the amp.
Being frugal I found a no cost solution - took an old window metal mesh screen and cut out a piece and folded it into a rectangle. Used two binder clips to keep it together and an alligator clip lead for ground.
It did help for hum from the tubes but with certain tubes I could not eliminate it completely. Still, using the cage, the hum was lowered and playing music mostly masked the hum. YMMV
1637282408391.png

You can cut the mesh to size for your amp and I am sure that there are more elegant methods to keep it together etc, but this is just to show the concept.
Have fun!

Nov 18, 2021 at 8:31 PM Post #6,615 of 6,909
It is called a Faraday cage and anything metal will do. (Obviously audiophile grade gold plated unobtanium will work the best - This is a joke)).
As far as I know a top cover is not needed but based on my expirements the results are better if you ground the enclosure to an exposed metal point on the chassis of the amp.
Being frugal I found a no cost solution - took an old window metal mesh screen and cut out a piece and folded it into a rectangle. Used two binder clips to keep it together and an alligator clip lead for ground.
It did help for hum from the tubes but with certain tubes I could not eliminate it completely. Still, using the cage, the hum was lowered and playing music mostly masked the hum. YMMV
1637282408391.png

You can cut the mesh to size for your amp and I am sure that there are more elegant methods to keep it together etc, but this is just to show the concept.
Have fun!
I was just gonna use some like , copper mesh like you use for rats lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back