La Figaro 339
Nov 13, 2020 at 7:20 PM Post #4,921 of 6,903
Yes Jedi :slight_smile: :slight_smile: EF80 are pentodes. So are the EF86. However with the adapters, they are used as strapped triodes here. I really like how these sound. Sometimes I like the more expensive EF86 better. At other times I'm thinking these EF80 are just as gorgeous, maybe a bit more mellow.

I really like the EF80, EF86 but they only work on my old LF399. On my 'new' LF339 which I bought from TinTinSnowyDog, those strapped triodes will wail like banshees. Not sure why.
I did find them to be somewhat more temperamental than the 6SJ7, some days dead quiet, some days very noisy, especially the EF80s. Perhaps there were some slight changes to the circuit. I do also plug in through a line voltage regulator, which I've found can make a positive impact on hum and noise in my tube amps!

Nov 13, 2020 at 7:25 PM Post #4,923 of 6,903
@bpiotrow13 , I just tried Burson Conductor CV2+. I was going to sell it this weekend but after I listen to it, I ask myself why would I sell it for AUD$750 ?

Sorry this is digressing from La Figaro but UntilThen will speak his mind. :ksc75smile:

The CV2+ is still a very good solid state amp that skews a bit to the warm nether region and will drive all headphones.

Nov 13, 2020 at 7:34 PM Post #4,924 of 6,903
@bpiotrow13 , I just tried Burson Conductor CV2+. I was going to sell it this weekend but after I listen to it, I ask myself why would I sell it for AUD$750 ?

Sorry this is digressing from La Figaro but UntilThen will speak his mind. :ksc75smile:

The CV2+ is still a very good solid state amp that skews a bit to the warm nether region and will drive all headphones.

Thanks, i am just listening burson cv2 with my lcd3f and am wondering if to buy la figaro to have along with burson. I am also considering wa2, but think La figaro will be more warm/colorful alternative to burson. Having read comparison of wa 2 and La figaro on Headfonia i do not think wa2 is very different to burson in that way.. i have just sold wa22..

Nov 13, 2020 at 7:52 PM Post #4,925 of 6,903
Well I'm back to La Figaro and running the Tung Sol 6SJ7GT that TinTinSnowyDog gift to me. This is a very good driver ! A bit less gain than the EF80 but just turn up the volume a notch and it's singing like a lark !

Back to back between LF339 and the Conductor, the former is more dynamic and in your face while the Burson is slightly more laid back. The LF339 has more impact and grit. Surprise? Not really that's how I hear LF339 all along. Very vivid in the high notes, tube warm and a bottom bass that will have your eyes pop out.

Between the LF339 and the Conductor CV2+, I still much prefer the LF339, especially when it's sporting tubes that sound good and are well behaved without hiss or hum.

IMG_1136.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2020 at 12:55 AM Post #4,926 of 6,903
Marrying the Conductor with La Figaro is probably the way to go. Conductor doing DAC duties to the La Figaro 339 as amp. This way I can control the volume using the Conductor remote control. :)

Have switch to using Mullard EF86 and another set of 6AS7GA.... didn't know I have so many of these el' cheapo power tubes around. These are RCA 6AS7GA. I'm quite amazed that LF339 still sound superb even with cheap tubes.

IMG_1140.jpg

Nov 14, 2020 at 1:05 AM Post #4,927 of 6,903
Saw those too, was going to link them here actually. Have bought from that seller before, very nice gentleman. They should be very nice tubes, mesh drivers are very pretty and sound just as nice in my experience :)

And so I pull the plug and bought the NEC 6SJ7GT. I thought I have given up buying tubes. Here we go again. :beyersmile: These are so new. Still have the NEC boxes. The question is how do they sound? Will find out...

s-l1600 (45).jpg

Nov 14, 2020 at 1:28 AM Post #4,928 of 6,903
Marrying the Conductor with La Figaro is probably the way to go. Conductor doing DAC duties to the La Figaro 339 as amp. This way I can control the volume using the Conductor remote control. :)

Have switch to using Mullard EF86 and another set of 6AS7GA.... didn't know I have so many of these el' cheapo power tubes around. These are RCA 6AS7GA. I'm quite amazed that LF339 still sound superb even with cheap tubes.

IMG_1140.jpg

The performance of most tubes is great, it's just that the very best sounding cost 100x more than the everyday tube. The performance of tubes is on a logarithmic scale, while the value is on an exponential one :D

Nov 14, 2020 at 1:37 AM Post #4,929 of 6,903
The performance of most tubes is great, it's just that the very best sounding cost 100x more than the everyday tube. The performance of tubes is on a logarithmic scale, while the value is on an exponential one :D

They cost 100x more because you've an universal audience willing to talk up the top tier tubes. Are GEC 6AS7G 100 times better than Svetlana 6N13C ? I've owned the best GEC 6AS7G and have used them in Euforia, WA22, Glenn OTL, La Figaro 339. They are not 100 times better IMHO. However once your mind believes it to be then you will willingly pay for it. :ksc75smile:

Nov 14, 2020 at 4:41 AM Post #4,933 of 6,903
Back to back between LF339 and the Conductor, the former is more dynamic and in your face while the Burson is slightly more laid back. The LF339 has more impact and grit. Surprise? Not really that's how I hear LF339 all along.

This is interesting, i tought burson will be more dynamic and in your face. Which one is warmer?

Definately i should not go for wa2..

Nov 14, 2020 at 4:53 AM Post #4,934 of 6,903
Marrying the Conductor with La Figaro is probably the way to go. Conductor doing DAC duties to the La Figaro 339 as amp. This way I can control the volume using the Conductor remote control

This is my intention. I would also try MHDT Orchid dac, which is more analog to burson dac. In fact i like burson more with MHDT than with its own dac. Would be interesting to see with la figaro. Suprising that you consider burson less dynamic and more laid back than la figaro, if i understand correctly? Whould be interesting to know which one is warmer.

Nov 14, 2020 at 5:13 AM Post #4,935 of 6,903
6SJ7GT + 6080WB in the LF339i tonight.

6SJ7GT.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back