La Figaro 339
Oct 18, 2020 at 2:30 AM Post #4,816 of 6,903
Is the D10 your DAC? I find the LF339 scales marvelously with good DACs. Do you have the yggy around to compare? :)

Ah that was in Sydney where I was using D10 or the Burson for DAC duties. Now back in Canberra after 3.5 hours drive. LF339 is in the rack and Yggy is feeding it. Good lord it's been 3 months since I use this system. How I miss it. Yggy is Yggy. There is no comparison. :)

Using HD800 now ... again haven't heard the HD800 for 3 months. :relaxed: Next will slot in the ZMF Verite Open.

IMG_1022.jpg

Oct 18, 2020 at 2:53 AM Post #4,817 of 6,903
All this while I have not use Verite with LF339. I don't know why. So this is the first time I heard Verite through LF339. It's incredible !

The last 3 months was a hiatus from headphone listening for me. I was content to use what gear I have in Sydney. It's like I need a break from Head-Fi. Now it's all coming back and I'm finding LF339 doing a dun good job.

IMG_1024.jpg

Oct 18, 2020 at 3:09 AM Post #4,818 of 6,903
Dude, OTL amps are normally for high-Z headphones, like HD800, HD650, T1, etc. But you are using them to drive low-Z planars? Is La Figaro 339 not an OTL amp, or am I missing something....:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

And you said LCD-3f sounds great on LF339, kinda hard to believe...but it may well be.:)

LF339 has been pretty well documented as an OTL that is capable of driving lower z phones well. I believe someone measured the output impedence early on in this thread and it is much lower than the ~100 ohms of most OTL amps. 5998 or 421A power tubes drop it even lower. I've heard the LCD-2C on the LF339, not my favourite headphone signature but it definitely drove it well, didn't feel anything was lacking.

Again I agree. I prefer Tung Sol 5998, 7236 and Bendix 6080 over the over priced GEC 6as7g. It's individual preference though. These days I'm very happy with the cheap Svetlana 6H13C. Fortunately the LF339 still sound good with the cheaper power tubes.

All great tubes, the Tung Sol/Chatham 6080 and 6AS7G are rarer to find but sound just about as good. I agree the Svetlanas are underrated, really beautiful warm sound, the technicalities are not missed compared to their tone. My personal favourite tube is still the GEC, but the current asking prices for those are ridiculous. Will burn them up for special occasions :)

All this while I have not use Verite with LF339. I don't know why. So this is the first time I heard Verite through LF339. It's incredible !

The last 3 months was a hiatus from headphone listening for me. I was content to use what gear I have in Sydney. It's like I need a break from Head-Fi. Now it's all coming back and I'm finding LF339 doing a dun good job.

IMG_1024.jpg

LF339+ Verite or any ZMF headphones is something I've always wanted to try. I imagine it is the best of both worlds from my HD650 and 800. A mighty stack you have there!

Oct 18, 2020 at 4:35 AM Post #4,820 of 6,903
LF339+ Verite or any ZMF headphones is something I've always wanted to try. I imagine it is the best of both worlds from my HD650 and 800. A mighty stack you have there!

Thank you. :) I had Eikon and Atticus before. Verite is my 3rd ZMF headphone.

That rack has seen quite a few amps come and gone. There was a time I had 3 tube amps in it and was busy inserting my headphones into any of them. I had Glenn OTL, WA22 and Studio Six in that rack. I do think the LF339 is good enough to sit there.

Oct 18, 2020 at 4:57 AM Post #4,822 of 6,903
Thank you. :) I had Eikon and Atticus before. Verite is my 3rd ZMF headphone.

That rack has seen quite a few amps come and gone. There was a time I had 3 tube amps in it and was busy inserting my headphones into any of them. I had Glenn OTL, WA22 and Studio Six in that rack. I do think the LF339 is good enough to sit there.
What are your thoughts on the differences between LF339 and the other amps, especially the Glenn OTL? Have always been interested in hearing one. I imagine its sound is even more customisable with the additional sockets that can be rolled.

Oct 18, 2020 at 5:31 AM Post #4,823 of 6,903
What are your thoughts on the differences between LF339 and the other amps, especially the Glenn OTL? Have always been interested in hearing one. I imagine its sound is even more customisable with the additional sockets that can be rolled.

Articulating differences between amps takes time and effort. I have sold off the Glenn OTL a year ago and about 2 months ago, I sold off the Studio Six. I'm left with Oblivion now ... and La Figaro of course.

Here's my layman review of Oblivion with comparisons against Glenn OTL and Studio Six.
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/oblivion-amp-by-ultrasonic-studios.24108/reviews

I'm kind of lazy now to do any comparisons (I just want to listen to music with these gear :) ) ... someday I might post something on LF339 against the other amps.

If I had to think of some attributes that stands out for La Figaro, it would be:-

1. Bass weight. This is what makes it special.
2. Clarity. So in addition to bass weight, it is still very clear in the high frequencies.
3. Power - this a powerful amp. It will make the headphone come alive.
4. Soundstage - is pretty wide.

Oct 18, 2020 at 7:03 AM Post #4,824 of 6,903
Articulating differences between amps takes time and effort. I have sold off the Glenn OTL a year ago and about 2 months ago, I sold off the Studio Six. I'm left with Oblivion now ... and La Figaro of course.

Here's my layman review of Oblivion with comparisons against Glenn OTL and Studio Six.
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/oblivion-amp-by-ultrasonic-studios.24108/reviews

I'm kind of lazy now to do any comparisons (I just want to listen to music with these gear :) ) ... someday I might post something on LF339 against the other amps.

If I had to think of some attributes that stands out for La Figaro, it would be:-

1. Bass weight. This is what makes it special.
2. Clarity. So in addition to bass weight, it is still very clear in the high frequencies.
3. Power - this a powerful amp. It will make the headphone come alive.
4. Soundstage - is pretty wide.
Totally understand, and I definitely agree with all those points. Easily tweaked with tube rolling too :)

Oct 18, 2020 at 6:02 PM Post #4,825 of 6,903
The quest for a setup that is very pleasing in musical enjoyment doesn't have to stretch to mega dollars amps and headphones.

I've heard many setups of more expensive amps and headphones but these T1.2 and HD650 with La Figaro 339 should satisfy all but the most demanding audiophiles. I spend a couple of hours today listening to this setup and I give it the nod of approval. LF339 presents music with such dynamics, clarity and satisfying bass that it's easy to loose yourself to music and the hours just slip away.

IMG_1007.jpg

Of your Beyer T1, LCD-3, and ZMF Verite, which do you think synergizes best with the 339? Which has the best bass? Both impact and detail.

Oct 19, 2020 at 6:03 AM Post #4,826 of 6,903
Of your Beyer T1, LCD-3, and ZMF Verite, which do you think synergizes best with the 339? Which has the best bass? Both impact and detail.

That's going to be an interesting test. :) Best bass - impact and details? Let me listen for a couple of days and I'll get back to you.

It's the T1.2 not the T1.1. The later version has boosted bass.

I was actually enjoying the HD800 with LF339 for it's intoxicating details until you pose this question. So now we have to consider bass. That means HD800 is definitely off the radar. My first thought would be:-

1. LCD-3f
2. T1.2
3. Verite

Now as I compensate the volume for each headphone, I'm not so sure. :) T1.2 certainly have the high frequencies dial back compared to the other 2, so you'll loose a bit of details compared to the other 2 but the bass is lower.

That said all 3 headphones are certainly enjoyable with Yggdrasil > La Figaro 339. Very different presentation though.

Oct 19, 2020 at 4:13 PM Post #4,827 of 6,903
Sometimes I feel the Focal Elex could give me more bass through the LF339i, preamp outs or headphone out - I don't think the LF339/i boosts bass all that much. A testament to its character imo. A little boost but not a lot.
Waiting to try the Empyrean from the 339i :wink:

Oct 20, 2020 at 3:05 AM Post #4,828 of 6,903
LF339 is not a bass machine. The bass weight produced is impactful, tight and controlled. It's unlike the WA5LE with 300B tubes that I heard. That is certainly more tubey.

It's a matter of preference but I certainly prefer impactful, tight and controlled bass. Glenn OTL and Studio Six are in this category that's why I like them.

Oct 20, 2020 at 2:22 PM Post #4,829 of 6,903
That's going to be an interesting test. :) Best bass - impact and details? Let me listen for a couple of days and I'll get back to you.

It's the T1.2 not the T1.1. The later version has boosted bass.

I was actually enjoying the HD800 with LF339 for it's intoxicating details until you pose this question. So now we have to consider bass. That means HD800 is definitely off the radar. My first thought would be:-

1. LCD-3f
2. T1.2
3. Verite

Now as I compensate the volume for each headphone, I'm not so sure. :) T1.2 certainly have the high frequencies dial back compared to the other 2, so you'll loose a bit of details compared to the other 2 but the bass is lower.

That said all 3 headphones are certainly enjoyable with Yggdrasil > La Figaro 339. Very different presentation though.

These are the three headphones I'm most interested in at this point. And probably will be for a while, either until I end up buying one of them or Zach at ZMF releases a planar of his own design! I've got a pair of Beyer DT 880s and 990s, LCD-2C, and a pair of Aeolus. I enjoy all of them very much, which is why I have interest in going up the brand chains. I may try to pick one of these up in the next year or so. So very interested to hear what someone thinks of them all on the 339!

Oct 23, 2020 at 4:32 AM Post #4,830 of 6,903
For context, I've been through quite a few amps. Some of which I've owned simultaneously. Below are the amps I've owned in time sequence since 2016:-

Darkvoice 336se
Feliks Elise
Feliks Euforia
Schiit Ragnarok
PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium HP
Glenn OTL amp with 6 x 6BX7gt
ALO Audio Studio Six
Ultrasonic Studio Oblivion
Woo Audio WA22
Schiit Jotunheim
Burson Conductor V2+

last but not least La Figaro 339.

I see you have (had) similar setup to mine. I have lcd3f with burson cv2+, which is fantastic. I want to have a bit darker/warmer/tubey alternative to burson (which i will keep for sure as well). I have just bought wa22, but it seems it is neither warmer nor darker than burson (maybe it is not burnt in yet). How could you compare lcd3f combined with burson cv2/wa22/ La figaro?

It seems la figaro may be the sound i am looking for. Tubey but with good soundstage/imaging/details. I was afraid of OTLs to be used with lcd3f, but you say la figaro coild do. I understand you still have both burson and la figaro so there is a difference in sound. You also do not still have wa22.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back