La Figaro 339
Aug 15, 2016 at 6:34 PM Post #3,616 of 6,909
Just to update, I recall worrying about having enough power. I no longer have any such concern, the 339 is plenty powerful enough for my headphones and loud listening habits.

Aug 18, 2016 at 9:27 PM Post #3,617 of 6,909
Quick question, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but where the power tubes are concerned, matched pairs aren't strictly needed with the 339 correct? I have been trying to research why a cathode chaser design (which I believe this is) doesn't really require careful matched pairs, but I'm not finding much. My search will continue, but I thought I would ask around here as well. Cheers.

Aug 19, 2016 at 12:39 AM Post #3,618 of 6,909
  Just to update, I recall worrying about having enough power. I no longer have any such concern, the 339 is plenty powerful enough for my headphones and loud listening habits.

If your amp is the same as mine, then you will realize that there is probably too much headroom on the 339, if anything...

I had to adjust to the power at first.

Quick question, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but where the power tubes are concerned, matched pairs aren't strictly needed with the 339 correct? I have been trying to research why a cathode chaser design (which I believe this is) doesn't really require careful matched pairs, but I'm not finding much. My search will continue, but I thought I would ask around here as well. Cheers.

Correct. Because the 339 is dual mono designed, its is better equipped than other amps to adjust volume in each channel individually, depending on the output from each tube. Even though a matched set would be ideal, it is not strictly necessary with this amp. Several users earlier in this thread, for instance, were unable to find that second Bendix 6080 WB notched plate immediately but were able to employ both once obtained without concern for perfect matching. The same goes for something rare as a GEC; it is usually the case tubes are cheaper when purchased as singles and not matched. 

Aug 19, 2016 at 2:54 AM Post #3,620 of 6,909

I am actually wary of the 339 power and always turn the volume to zero when starting especially with change of tubes. Save my headphones and hearing.

Aug 19, 2016 at 3:19 AM Post #3,621 of 6,909

The seller gave me the LF EF800/EF80 adaptors and some really nice tubes:
  1. Matched Pair of Cetron Military JAN-7236 1983 NOS Power Tubes
  2. 2xTelefunken EF80 Gray Shield (Non-Matched) (Year Unsure) NOS Input Tubes 
  3. Matched Pair of RCA Military Red JAN-CRC-5693 1960 NOS Input Tubes

He let me hear the LF with the Cetron 7236/Telefunken EF80 - it was splendid! I was sold on the spot. I am saving the Cetron/Telefunken combo for Saturday night fever tomorrow. Shoot me a link for the Mullards I should look at. Thanks.

Here's the story on the Mullard EF80: http://www.r-type.org/articles/art-019.htm
You can find these reasonably easy but make sure you get the mesh version. I can't seem to find a pic of mine but I have these with the new logo

I can get these for around 20€/piece. If anyone is interested I will arrange another group buy (10 minimum)

Also try these input tubes out. TS made, RCA branded 6SJ7WGT with the mesh

I can also do another group buy for these but they are 40€/piece (this picture is from a previous group buy)

Aug 19, 2016 at 6:58 AM Post #3,622 of 6,909
Hello fellow La Figaro owners (well, mine is still in the mail)!

It's been fun to catch up with you guys so far (about 100 pages of posts left). I'm impressed by how many of you had started out as novices a few years ago and have become expert tube rollers in the meantime!

I expect the arrival of my 339 any day now and cannot wait to finally feed my HD650 with it. Whilst I'm happy to get used to the new setup with stock tubes, I cannot wait to get my fingers dirty. Yesterday, I couldn't resist a pair of black plated Mullard 6080, which I picked up in a local store.

What would you guys recommend to backup those power tubes? 

At a later stage I plan to also hook up my HE1000 and LCD-XC but am aware (actually thrilled) that more rolling and experimenting is necessary on the quest of the sonic climax...

Aug 19, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #3,623 of 6,909
I have to admit, I really, really love the sound of the 339. I haven't been able to determine how it differs from the SS amps I've used, but it is undeniably a beautiful sounding amp. Even my 32ohm A800 sounds fantastic with it, but of course the HD 600 pairing is certainly top-shelf. I have my HAM radio guy stopping by this morning with another set of RCA power tubes, matched again and testing better than new. I figure I will get a nice stockpile of tubes now so that in the years to come I won't have to worry. I would like to find some mesh plates if not even simply for the looks!

Aug 19, 2016 at 11:14 AM Post #3,624 of 6,909
My HAM radio connection just left me my beautiful set of matched NOS RCA 6080s with original boxes ($30 Canadian for the pair), made in Harrison NJ. he says he likely has some of the RCA 6S7JWGT mesh plates in original boxes as back in 1995 he bought out a military radar installation that was being closed so he has plenty of military tubes. I'm going to ask what he might sell them for. Shame I can't use them with my 339.

Aug 19, 2016 at 11:21 AM Post #3,625 of 6,909

Aug 19, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #3,626 of 6,909
  My HAM radio connection just left me my beautiful set of matched NOS RCA 6080s with original boxes ($30 Canadian for the pair), made in Harrison NJ. he says he likely has some of the RCA 6S7JWGT mesh plates in original boxes as back in 1995 he bought out a military radar installation that was being closed so he has plenty of military tubes. I'm going to ask what he might sell them for. Shame I can't use them with my 339.

basshead.gif

Aug 20, 2016 at 1:04 AM Post #3,628 of 6,909
Very beautiful.

Thank you, I'm very lucky, well in some ways. I survived a miserable relationship by slowly buying mid-fi gear as listening to music was one of the few things I could enjoy. I use my NAD M3 as my SS amp (speaker tap cables made by Norne Audio) and of course the 339 which is fast becoming my absolute favourite. I'm glad I went OTL as I wanted as much of a tube sound as I could get and it seems from my research that OTL is the most direct path to tubey goodness.

Aug 20, 2016 at 1:09 AM Post #3,629 of 6,909

Indeed. Let me know if you are interested in any tubes as this guy may have some. I know he doesn't have 7236 or 5998s, but he has lots of 6080s, apparently some Mullard's with original boxes. He told me in the 90s he went around buying up all the tubes that electronic stores, audio/video repair shops had as well as the radar site. His prices are fair I think, he has some RCA black plates apparently. What do you think, $30 Canadian for matched NOS RCA 6080s seem fair? That is like $22US and he delivered, plus tested my other tubes for free!

Aug 20, 2016 at 6:28 AM Post #3,630 of 6,909

Here's the story on the Mullard EF80: http://www.r-type.org/articles/art-019.htm
You can find these reasonably easy but make sure you get the mesh version. I can't seem to find a pic of mine but I have these with the new logo

I can get these for around 20€/piece. If anyone is interested I will arrange another group buy (10 minimum)

Also try these input tubes out. TS made, RCA branded 6SJ7WGT with the mesh

I can also do another group buy for these but they are 40€/piece (this picture is from a previous group buy)

@Ultrainferno
Thanks for the link. I am going to check if I can source these tubes locally first. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back