La Figaro 339
Jun 2, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #3,046 of 6,903
Liu, curious to see if your HD800 arrive and if it did, can you share with us on it's SQ with the 339?  Thx in advance.

Not yet. They are coming from Canada but should be here by the end of the week. I am also really curious of the pairing and shall report back.

Jun 4, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #3,051 of 6,903
Sounds good!

They're here
cool.gif

Jun 5, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #3,055 of 6,903
I have a question to those experienced with this amp and other amps:

As I get more acquainted with the 339 with vocals, I know what people mean now about intimate. But what exactly do we mean by intimate? More than all my other amps, I experience a feeling of voices almost whispering directly in my ear, giving me goosebumps. I will take a description from another product altogether (Asr's review of the Audio-Technica 2000), not even an amp, that best enapsualtes my own impressions here:

" Heck, it's probably equally adept at doing brain-melting female vocals with 0% subtlety, setting up a female vocalist practically right in your lap and deepening the lower register for a true private one-on-one feel. Again, the 0% subtlety which just cannot be overstated - the AD2K can make a straight man want to have, let's say, relations with the female vocalist due to how close & full it'll make the female's voice sound."

I would like to apply this description also to how I feel vocals sound on the 339 through my HD 650s and the DT 880s. This nearness and eroticism has something akin to Ultrainferno's image of a vocalist (whether male or female) seductively winking at you (and only at you) in a smoky club. This sounds like magic, but what exactly is happening here? Does this mean there is a compromise in stage at the frequency range where vocals are most prominent? Is intimacy a code-word for a smaller stage? 

In any case, "food for thought" here I guess. I would be interested if certain tubes accentuate or attenuate these qualities. Through Telefunken EF 86s, I have been unable to control my emotions lately listening to vocals through this amp, not so much eroticism though. It has caused goosebumps to appear and tears to drop these past days, as I explore vocals more frequently. I don't know why this effect is particularly strong through this amp in comparison to my others. 

Have a nice day!

Jun 5, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #3,056 of 6,903
  I have a question to those experienced with this amp and other amps:

As I get more acquainted with the 339 with vocals, I know what people mean now about intimate. But what exactly do we mean by intimate? More than all my other amps, I experience a feeling of voices almost whispering directly in my ear, giving me goosebumps. I will take a description from another product altogether (Asr's review of the Audio-Technica 2000), not even an amp, that best enapsualtes my own impressions here:

" Heck, it's probably equally adept at doing brain-melting female vocals with 0% subtlety, setting up a female vocalist practically right in your lap and deepening the lower register for a true private one-on-one feel. Again, the 0% subtlety which just cannot be overstated - the AD2K can make a straight man want to have, let's say, relations with the female vocalist due to how close & full it'll make the female's voice sound."

I would like to apply this description also to how I feel vocals sound on the 339 through my HD 650s and the DT 880s. This nearness and eroticism has something akin to Ultrainferno's image of a vocalist (whether male or female) seductively winking at you (and only at you) in a smoky club. This sounds like magic, but what exactly is happening here? Does this mean there is a compromise in stage at the frequency range where vocals are most prominent? Is intimacy a code-word for a smaller stage? 

In any case, "food for thought" here I guess. I would be interested if certain tubes accentuate or attenuate these qualities. Through Telefunken EF 86s, I have been unable to control my emotions lately listening to vocals through this amp, not so much eroticism though. It has caused goosebumps to appear and tears to drop these past days, as I explore vocals more frequently. I don't know why this effect is particularly strong through this amp in comparison to my others. 

Have a nice day!

Perhaps it's the 339's ability to capture precisely the natural warm tone of the said vocals rendering an almost 3D holographic perception of the singer in one's headphone?  Sounds like this amp sure does create the critical midrange fabulously in both timber and layering.

Jun 5, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #3,057 of 6,903
Perhaps it's the 339's ability to capture precisely the natural warm tone of the said vocals rendering an almost 3D holographic perception of the singer in one's headphone?  Sounds like this amp sure does create the critical midrange fabulously in both timber and layering.

Well it really does. This also happens to some string instruments on my traditional Chinese music, in particular with the guzheng and guqin ("zithers"). The erhu can also create this very intimate effect. The feeling is almost like the equivalent of two warm fingers gently massaging the inner ear, but this sounds like sorcery and I would like to know the science behind this. Why is it in this particular frequency range does the 339 produce this feeling?

I should add the same thing occurs with my RCA Reds. I have not yet tried critical comparisons between power tubes (mainly because my variety here is lacking).

Jun 5, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #3,059 of 6,903
calm down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back