La Figaro 339
Mar 6, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #2,161 of 6,903
Yup, ideally the transformer should have a load on it...otherwise it can act like an ignition coil, but I don't think it would ignite at headphone voltages...nevertheless the recommendations are to have a load connected when on.

Mar 7, 2014 at 8:50 PM Post #2,163 of 6,903
popcorn.gif

Mar 8, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #2,165 of 6,903

Goodbye LF339

Mar 10, 2014 at 3:36 AM Post #2,167 of 6,903
The new amps have the silver logo. I ask the Boss... As for the special 6J5 tubes, I think you can only have that if you ask a special wiring to the Boss...

Mar 10, 2014 at 4:31 AM Post #2,169 of 6,903
Something funny and a bit of a gamble: i just scored a pair o nosf 6as7g tubes under the 'Haltron' label. The site did not show a picture so I mailed them to ask for a description of the tube. They described it as having the inscription 'Haltron, 6as7g/ sa, 1834', made in England and with a curved brown plastic base. Sounds a lot like a relabeled gec. Don't know if that can be but if yes I struck a great deal at 35 EUR for the pair. Or my greed got the better of me and I'll end up with 2 duds. Anyone have these?

Mar 10, 2014 at 5:35 AM Post #2,171 of 6,903
No, actually it's from a guy on ebay who sdlls mostly old junk. I know what you're thinking but bear with me: a couple of months ago he offered a huge lot of ts 5998 on sale, with the specific mention that sold was sold, no warranty and he did not want feedback. Those tubes had pics and looked good so I chanced it at about 50 eur a pair. Frankly, I thought they would probably not be working and I was the only fool to have bid on them. Well, they arrived, nos 5998, no fakes, terrific sound and in my 337 now. I mailed him stating that I was very happy and would love to gice positive feedback but he refused, explained he had purchaseda gigantic lot of all kinds of tubes from a french army depot that closed down but didn't know about them (his actual area is militaria) and had no means of testing them, hence the 'sold as is' condition. By the time I received the tubes the rest of the ts had sold out, could have kicked myself for not having purchased more of them.

So, touch wood, I hope this one pans out as well. Before anyone asks, he only had one pair of the Haltrons. Will post pics when they arrive.

Mar 10, 2014 at 5:59 AM Post #2,173 of 6,903
Nope, direct sale, I sent him a mail last time with a list of brands and types of 6as7, 6088, 6sj7....asked him to contact me if he was selling more as he offers them as he cleans his inventory and he came through on the haltrons and on a pair of thompson. Purchased those too but at 7 eur per tube, no idea how they will sound. But the proof of the pudding is in the eating, we'll see when I get them.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back