La Figaro 339
Nov 5, 2013 at 5:23 AM Post #2,041 of 6,903
Carlitos, I don't know who you're talking to but yeah I have fixed it as I had that problem with EF80 with vanilla 339. The problem was the wiring in the adapter. There was a bad solder to the metal enclosure of the adapter with the ground connector in the adapter, bad solder joint spotted with a ohmmeter. It's hard to solder against solid thich aluminium without solder flux a,d scrapping the surface. You need a strong iron too.

Anyway I made mods to my amp with battery cell for imput bias and at the voltage I'm running the EF80 are no more suitable for me. All my other imputs tubes sounds great though with my adapters (Pentodes strapped and pure triodes types)

Nov 9, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #2,044 of 6,903
Hi All, I got few pairs of Tungsol 5998 and TS 6sj7gt meshplate that I collected for this amp, now no longer needed ,so let me know if you guys keen on it 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/689043/tungsol-5998-and-tungsol-6sj7gt-meshplate

Colin

Nov 11, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #2,046 of 6,903
If I'm eye-ing on the HD800, is this amp a good match?

I'm also currently using the 5693 reds, any good drivers that I should try?

Hd800 with 337/339. Not good match..i bought my 337 from a hd800 owner who just had upgraded from a hd650 (super pair!) to a hd800.. He hated it...and to my ears also..not so good pairing.. Better get a hd650 or he500.

Alternative for 5693.. And maybe best driver tube existing ...ultra rare tung sol 6sj7gt mesh plates.. (Pm me..maybe i canhelp u with that last one)

Nov 11, 2013 at 10:57 AM Post #2,047 of 6,903
There's lots of people who love the 339 with the HD800 Hifimanrookie, I haven't heard it myself so I couldn't tell. Maybe it's not a good match for the 337, I don't know but the 339 loves all my high impedance headphones (and the lower ones)

Nov 11, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #2,048 of 6,903
There's lots of people who love the 339 with the HD800 Hifimanrookie, I haven't heard it myself so I couldn't tell. Maybe it's not a good match for the 337, I don't know but the 339 loves all my high impedance headphones (and the lower ones)

Thats true what u about ur last line..but i still have to read any experience about people having a hd800 who like it with a 339 or 337. Most like it with hd650 and he500.. But as always..its all personal...lots of People love grado's 325 also..but i found those unbearable bright...as i didnt like the he400... To agressive... But. Have million who love it..even that they admit of its inherited shortcomings..
At the dutch meeting ur were at (and a personal listening session with a hd800 owner who wanted to buy my amp)also, not one liked the hd800 with my amp.. And it would be curious that the 339 would be so different soundwise then the 337 as we both know the basics of both amps are the same...the 339 just is a upgraded design.. But its possible that lafigaro did some alterations to make it more compatible with the hd800... Or with the lcd (2.2) for that matter as on my 337 those two cans sounded not on its best..but hd650 and he500.. Pure bliss

As always..its to my ears... I am now waiting for a limited edition hifiman he5 code-x ..am curious how good they will sound... So my he500 and 337 (for a superprice) can be found on the confidentials if someone if interesed.. :p

Nov 11, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #2,049 of 6,903
LCD is nice on the 339. At the meet your 337 sounded way more ss like than the 339 so that might be the reason for you not liking certain headphones.
My suggestion is to audiotion or talk to people who have the combo. So not either of us
rolleyes.gif

Nov 11, 2013 at 1:17 PM Post #2,050 of 6,903
LCD is nice on the 339. At the meet your 337 sounded way more ss like than the 339 so that might be the reason for you not liking certain headphones.
My suggestion is to audiotion or talk to people who have the combo. So not either of us :rolleyes:

U could be right..but back then i had svetlana tubes (power) in it with ts meshplates (driver)..so it sounded very ss.. I can remember u saying that on the meet..that it was very SS sounding..lolz...u had ur woo audio amp with u.

I actually listened to the hd800 (the guy who wanted to buy my 337, had a hd800, visited me twice) for two hours on and off..but this time with bendix 6080wb graphite plates and also with my TS5998.. In combo with 5693 red hots or mesh plates..we tried many combo's .. But no one gave us that feeling the combo with the he500 or the hd650 (he had both sennheisers) gave us..on certain occasions we even agreed that the hd650 sounded better then the he500!
.. On his violectric v200 the hd800 sounded so much more better..to our ears!

But i agree with u...best is to listen to people WHO OWN both for a longer period....as the soundsignature is maybe something u have to get customed to... Maybe its because of the he500 i dont like the hd800?

Nov 11, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #2,052 of 6,903
Would hd800 be a side or upgrade from he500?

Advice: better ask this on the he500 thread..as its been talked about there a couple of times now. There are people who own both. So i guess they can answer ur question better then us here on the 339 thread. :wink:

Nov 11, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #2,053 of 6,903
Hey guys, just wanted to point about the excellent customer service from La Figaro.

So pretty much my 339 took almost a month to arrive.  None of it was La Figaro's fault; it appears FedEx or whomever decided to sit on their hands with it and didn't tell either of us.  I waited 3 weeks until I contacted La Figaro asking about my shipment, and La Figaro pretty much immediately looked into it, called FedEx, and got the ball rolling finally in a very short amount of time.  About a week after that, the package finally shows on my door.

Anyway, when I open the package it's pretty clear the amp got messed up beyond belief.  I'd say La Figaro packaged it pretty well, but FedEx has its ways apparently with messing things up.  One of the tubes (wrapped fairly well) is literally completely smashed into little glass bits.  The metal front is scratched and has a pretty big chip in it, no idea how the hell you manage to chip a pretty big piece of solid metal off when it's sitting in a box.  Also, one of the transformers has broken from its retaining screws and is only connected to the amp now by its wires.  Some screws have managed to come out entirely.  However the hell FedEx managed that is beyond me.  

Anyway, I contacted La Figaro, and as soon as I explain that the amp's pretty much destroyed, they tell me the new one is currently on its way.

So pretty much, FedEx is horrible but La Figaro is pretty damn good with their customer service. 

Nov 12, 2013 at 7:47 AM Post #2,055 of 6,903
Advice: better ask this on the he500 thread..as its been talked about there a couple of times now. There are people who own both. So i guess they can answer ur question better then us here on the 339 thread. :wink:

Thanks I'd do that.

BTW, how is the 5693 reds compared to the EF86?
If there's not much difference I'd stick to the native 5693s.

Does Yuking sell the converter?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back