La Figaro 339
Jan 20, 2011 at 1:31 AM Post #182 of 6,903
Okay... Another update. 

Finally got the RCA 6080s, the GE 6AC7s, and obviously, the ones I already had (the GEC Brown Base 6AS7G + Telefunken EF80 + Stock Tubes + a Variety of 6SJ7s)

Best combos as follows:

#1 - NOS GEC Brown Base 6AS7G + NOS Telefunken EF80 - Smooth, Balanced and rich sound. Nothing is too sharp or too loud. Perfect for rock, classical, and good for all kinds in general etc. 

#2 - NOS GEC Brown Base 6AS7G + NOS GE 6AC7s - A bit less top end, but still almost as good as the Telefunken combo. 

#3 - RCA 6080 + NOS Telefunken EF80 - Sharper, crisper sound, with very tight response. Closer to a high powered solid state, but a bit thin on the bottom end. Good for Techno, Electronica, Pop. 

#
#
#
#10 - Stock tubes - Work fine...but don't expect much from these. There really is a massive amount of improvement to be had from tuberolling the 339. 

More tube impressions coming soon as shippings roll in. Getting some Russian tubes, and some RCA 6AS7s. 

Jan 20, 2011 at 3:18 AM Post #184 of 6,903
@alvin Thanks for the recommendation. Ordered a matched pair of Telefunken EF800s off ebay just now :)

In other news. Just one hour after my last post, I got the Svetlana 6N5S, and boy are they sweet (probably the second-best tube I've heard yet after the brown base GEC 6AS7G).

I should also have the RCA 6AS7s soon (2-3 hours).  Will post an updated combo list tomorrow :)

Jan 23, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #186 of 6,903
After a couple months with the DV339 I decided to sell it.  It's a great amp, but I ended up buying the Sennheiser HDR 180's which don't require external amplification.  I much prefer the sound coupled directly to the Audio-GD DAC 19 DSP, as compared to the DV339+DAC+HD600/HD800 which is significantly more expensive as well.  Although it lacks the raw power in the lower octaves, it sounds much more neutral through the midrange and upper end and might even be a bit more transparent.

Jan 25, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #187 of 6,903
After hearing the excellent review and feedback on this thread, I have purchased a 339 directly from Yuking.The amp arrived pretty quickly to Canada through FedEx, although there was some initial delay in getting the amp to travel from Sichuan, China (where Yuking is located) to Hong Kong for export. Unfortunately one of the EF80 was broken while in transit, so it took me a while to clean off the glass shards inside the amp. I'm stuck with the stock tubes for now. Communicating with Yuking was a pleasant experience, after Chinese New Year he'd ship me the replacement tube.

This is my first desktop amp...so I'm a newb regarding tubes. I purchased it with the intention to drive my DT990, and it drives it really well. I was very delighted to see the beautiful construction and solid build of the amp. I soon found out why the amp weights 11kg though....the entire enclosure serves as a giant heat sink, all that metal helps conduct heat away. I was worried at how hot the amp gets since I placed my amp on my wooden desk. But lifting the amp up and feeling my desk I'm quite relieved, the desk only gets a bit luke warm. I'm thinking of getting a metal stand to elevate the amp to give it a bit more airflow, but haven't found any thing suitable yet. Suggestions from the community is welcomed :)

Right now I'm only using my computer as source....so I cannot fully enjoy the amp because of the noisy source. Hopefully when I get a DAC I'll be able to listen to it more without wanting to rip out my ears.

Jan 25, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #189 of 6,903
I just picked up "npdang's" 339. I need to spend some quality time with it  to post any impressions. But on first listen it looks like my LD MKIII is on its way out the door. I have to agree with the comment above, that this thing is a beast in weight and size.
By the way, I want to thank npdang for a smooth transaction.

Jan 25, 2011 at 8:32 PM Post #190 of 6,903
I just picked up "npdang's" 339. I need to spend some quality time with it  to post any impressions. But on first listen it looks like my LD MKIII is on its way out the door. I have to agree with the comment above, that this thing is a beast in weight and size.
Here is a quick pic for now.
By the way, I want to thank npdang for a smooth transaction.

Jan 27, 2011 at 4:20 AM Post #193 of 6,903

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elythor /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I soon found out why the amp weights 11kg though....the entire enclosure serves as a giant heat sink, all that metal helps conduct heat away.

Oh, it is lighter than 15 kg DV337 then, right?

I don't have DV337 so can't compare. I am just quoting the weight from the FedEx packing sheet. But it does feel closer to 11kg than 15kg when I'm holding the amp in my hands. Since there is no pre-amp output for the 339 I guess there are less components and thus less weight.

Jan 28, 2011 at 1:15 PM Post #195 of 6,903
Make sense, so now we know the pre-amp weight 3 kg (16-13) 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back