L0rdGwyn's DIY Audio
Jan 11, 2022 at 7:22 PM Post #3,842 of 6,805
Would love to see photos of the Jota. Loved the sound of their PX-25, which I got to play with years ago. Had a number of customers using Jotas on the Talon Khorus back in the day when I used to work for them. Wonderful Amps!

jgwtriode
Mine is the high current version requiring high current 300B's (300BXLS). Limits the tube rolling options for sure, but it gets almost 22wpc out of an SET. I've had a lot of amps pass through my hands over the years, and this one remains my favorite.

Jota.jpg

Jan 11, 2022 at 7:25 PM Post #3,843 of 6,805
The stock crossovers will need some work, they use sandcast resistors (ew), film caps, iron core inductors. Will most definitely be swapping out the resistors, likely the inductors, and MAYBE the caps if I can find equivalent values at better quality (the crossovers use some very oddball cap values). All of the Klipsch drivers are proprietary, can't say how they compare to other designers specifically, but I will say the most recent iteration of their Heritage line (version IV) has been very well received. I've seen members on Audiokarma say they would take the new Heritage line over vintage Altecs like the model 19 and many old JBLs. Pretty hard to find a bad review of these speakers, specifically the Forte IV and Cornwall IV, most everyone seems to say they are a knockout. The horn speaker / high-sensitivity speaker market is pretty small, I've signed onto living in that niche given I am running single-ended class A tube amps. My 801A amp is a beastly 7-watter :) the 99dB in room sensitivity of the Forte IV is a good match, loved what I heard from them when demo'd. Other players in the high-sensitivity market that aren't ultra expensive are Volti Audio, Zu Audio, Omega, Fern & Roby...open baffle is another option but again, not great having exposed wires / drivers with cats. Klipsch is a nice choice since they are a mainstream brand that isn't bonkers expensive, I don't have to cry if something breaks, I can just get it replaced without too much stress.
Add Tekton to the list -- my Lores are 98dB sensitive and rock the house with 22 watts. Rather unconventional design by audiophile standards (whizzer cone guitar amp drivers, anybody? :laughing: ) but they're a lot of fun and pretty cheap to boot.

Jan 11, 2022 at 7:34 PM Post #3,844 of 6,805
Add Tekton to the list -- my Lores are 98dB sensitive and rock the house with 22 watts. Rather unconventional design by audiophile standards (whizzer cone guitar amp drivers, anybody? :laughing: ) but they're a lot of fun and pretty cheap to boot.

Oh yeah, totally forgot Tekton Design! Right there with the rest of them sensitivity-wise. Decware also has some pretty high-sensitivity designs.

Jan 11, 2022 at 7:47 PM Post #3,846 of 6,805
Zach sends me unfinished black and white ebony VC cup photo. Will be finished in a gloss, should make the contrast pop.

IMG_20220111_194038.jpg
OK, I'm officially jealous. That's gorgeous!

Jan 11, 2022 at 8:26 PM Post #3,848 of 6,805
Zach sends me unfinished black and white ebony VC cup photo. Will be finished in a gloss, should make the contrast pop.

IMG_20220111_194038.jpg
That's the wood I always dream of for a VO, I even asked Zack if he would be able to take a custom order but he denied because of workload, this was in 2020.

Jan 11, 2022 at 8:37 PM Post #3,849 of 6,805
That's the wood I always dream of for a VO, I even asked Zack if he would be able to take a custom order but he denied because of workload, this was in 2020.

Yes, he is quite busy all the time these days!
Especially after the ZMF November event.
This was in exchange for the custom amplifier I made him recently.

Jan 11, 2022 at 9:09 PM Post #3,850 of 6,805
Mine is the high current version requiring high current 300B's (300BXLS). Limits the tube rolling options for sure, but it gets almost 22wpc out of an SET. I've had a lot of amps pass through my hands over the years, and this one remains my favorite.

Jota.jpg
Hot Damn that is one sweet amp. I really wanted to get an Art Audio Amp was close to getting one on incentive pricing. Just didn't quite work out. But I talked to 4 or 5 customers that swore by this high current version on thier Talon Audio speakers. I will bet that thing looks ridiculous in the dark when it switched on.

Thanks for sharing,

jgwtriode

Jan 11, 2022 at 9:12 PM Post #3,851 of 6,805
OMGosh that is stunning. I really like darker wood. My Auteurs in Blackwood and my VC's in Leopard dark stain, but wow really nice for a lighter colored wood.

jgwtriode.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2022 at 10:07 PM Post #3,852 of 6,805
Oh yeah, totally forgot Tekton Design! Right there with the rest of them sensitivity-wise. Decware also has some pretty high-sensitivity designs.

I've been curious about Decware's horn and slot loaded designs. It's interesting how Omega, Zu and Tekton all get pretty different voicing out of similar full range drivers.

Jan 12, 2022 at 8:20 AM Post #3,853 of 6,805

IMG_20220111_194038.jpg

Those are going to look killer, Keenan.

Zach told me if he hits the cups with a wipe of alcohol, you can see what they are going to look like to a certain extent.

I bet you can already picture them, right beside one of you amps :)

Jan 12, 2022 at 3:33 PM Post #3,854 of 6,805
Yes, he is quite busy all the time these days!
Especially after the ZMF November event.
This was in exchange for the custom amplifier I made him recently.
Please post some pictures when you get the final product.

Jan 12, 2022 at 5:02 PM Post #3,855 of 6,805
Please post some pictures when you get the final product.

I sure will. Here is a pic of the bookmatched cups before sanding.

Cups.jpg

Worked on the bronze Airmid today, made some good progress, think that will be all for now, off to do some yoga 🧘‍♂️

PXL_20220112_215632901-2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back