L0rdGwyn's DIY Audio
Jan 9, 2022 at 2:22 PM Post #3,811 of 6,808
Ive noticed that on most, if not all OTLs, that the power button/switch is always located on the left hand side of the front face plate, and jack is on the right.

Is that by necessity based upon design ?

Jan 9, 2022 at 2:33 PM Post #3,812 of 6,808
Ive noticed that on most, if not all OTLs, that the power button/switch is always located on the left hand side of the front face plate, and jack is on the right.

Not at all, sides could be reversed and work just fine!

Jan 9, 2022 at 2:53 PM Post #3,813 of 6,808
Not at all, sides could be reversed and work just fine!
Thats good to know. I will let my amp builder know to swap the two.

Jan 10, 2022 at 1:19 AM Post #3,814 of 6,808
Thats good to know. I will let my amp builder know to swap the two.
Oh that Lampizator of yours, Not that I can afford it right now but the new Baltic looks beyond sweet and the review seems to indicate it is quite easily worth it 6K pricing. My ridiculously modded Oppo however is still offering improvement with each upgrade of my system. Latest software changes with Majiority Clean and Hungry Bears MC Installer, just took it noticeably farther. But after finishing paying Keenan for the Airmid, need GEC's and Tung Sol's. But after that it's starting a Lampi Piggy
Bank.

Happy Listening!

jgwtriode

Attachments

• 93356084_0_g.jpg
    93356084_0_g.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 0
Jan 10, 2022 at 2:10 AM Post #3,815 of 6,808
Oh that Lampizator of yours, Not that I can afford it right now but the new Baltic looks beyond sweet and the review seems to indicate it is quite easily worth it 6K pricing. My ridiculously modded Oppo however is still offering improvement with each upgrade of my system. Latest software changes with Majiority Clean and Hungry Bears MC Installer, just took it noticeably farther. But after finishing paying Keenan for the Airmid, need GEC's and Tung Sol's. But after that it's starting a Lampi Piggy
Bank.

Happy Listening!

jgwtriode
I'm looking at the Baltic 3 as well! I emailed Rob about sending in a used GA TRP I found online to be updated and he highly recommended Baltic 3. Regardless, after my amp purchase, I'd like to upgrade my DAC.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2022 at 2:29 AM Post #3,816 of 6,808
Bank.

Happy Listening!

jgwtriode
You know how you have truly, absolutely reached Game Over territory? When you stop looking at other gear, and are blissfully enjoying the music.
I'm so in that position, I wasnt even aware there was a Baltic 3 out. LOL!

So a quick look at the specs, says it comes both SE and balanced. Wow that is interesting. One negative I noticed is the option to add in a preamp isnt even available as an option on it. I use the hell out of my preamp function on my TRP. I set both my speaker amp and GOTL to a certain gain, and control the volume from my recliner with the Lampizator remote.

A thread @jgwtriode and @cdanguyen08 might be interested in following is here. The Lampi owners over there tube roll like madmen, so its a handy reference guide for when yall join the Lampi club.

BTW, one of the N. American Lampizator reps, Fred, is a member here. Drop @Gopher a message and he can help guide you guys on which DAC to get. Honestly, any of their DACs are killer, and the Baltic 3 should be no different. Now, if anyone wants to buy me their new flagship, The Horizon, I wont be mad at you.

Jan 10, 2022 at 3:10 AM Post #3,817 of 6,808
I used to have a Atlantic SE+ and bought a Spring and at first definitely liked the spring more as they both have a way different sound signature. Now after selling the Atlantic I’m sadly missing the musicality of that Dac. The midrange had the most realistic sound quality to it but the topend could be soft at times (only compared to other dacs like the spring.) . If I could go back I’d maybe swap back to the Atlantic.

The reason why I switched because my turntable setup did what the Lampizator did but better where the Spring sounded totally different and it complimented each other better than the tt/lampi combo. Still I miss it and would love to keep the spring AND a lampi down the road. The Spring does digital really well in its own way and I like the topend a bit more than the lampi but that is the only place it succeeds it where the lampi dominates in the midrange greatly!

If I owned everything on vinyl I wouldn’t need the lampi but that will never happen so hopefully down the road I’ll grab a used one again and keep both. I’d greatly miss the Spring if I sold it and not making the same mistake twice.

I agree @Monsterzero. If I can muster up a spring/lampi combo I too will be in game over territory because the rest of my gear I’m totally happy with beside a wood change on a Zmf here and there.
I really tried to get into OTL based amps but DNA amps/Zmf cans are without a doubt my endgame. My 2 ch. system has been the same for years and I don’t bat an eye about changing anything there as it’s perfect in my eyes!

Enjoy your tube rolling on the TRP and don’t look at pictures of the Golden Gate or others. Lol

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2022 at 1:19 PM Post #3,819 of 6,808
I'm curious what DAC chips Lampizator uses, my understanding is they used to use R2R but switch to delta-sigma.
That is how it was explained to me, although, at least on the TRP, you could request a R2R version. Im not sure if they are still doing that.

Jan 10, 2022 at 1:58 PM Post #3,820 of 6,808
That is how it was explained to me, although, at least on the TRP, you could request a R2R version. Im not sure if they are still doing that.

I've only ever heard the Amber 3, I wonder how the higher end models stack up. I like my PCM56 DAC, would be cool to compare at a meet some day.

Jan 10, 2022 at 3:33 PM Post #3,821 of 6,808
You know how you have truly, absolutely reached Game Over territory? When you stop looking at other gear, and are blissfully enjoying the music.
I'm so in that position, I wasnt even aware there was a Baltic 3 out. LOL!

So a quick look at the specs, says it comes both SE and balanced. Wow that is interesting. One negative I noticed is the option to add in a preamp isnt even available as an option on it. I use the hell out of my preamp function on my TRP. I set both my speaker amp and GOTL to a certain gain, and control the volume from my recliner with the Lampizator remote.

A thread @jgwtriode and @cdanguyen08 might be interested in following is here. The Lampi owners over there tube roll like madmen, so its a handy reference guide for when yall join the Lampi club.

BTW, one of the N. American Lampizator reps, Fred, is a member here. Drop @Gopher a message and he can help guide you guys on which DAC to get. Honestly, any of their DACs are killer, and the Baltic 3 should be no different. Now, if anyone wants to buy me their new flagship, The Horizon, I wont be mad at you.
I was looking to get the preamp option as well. But from emailing with NA Lampizator, they can add that option which checks the box for me.

I was looking to add a speaker setup as well. What speakers setup are you running?

Jan 10, 2022 at 4:44 PM Post #3,822 of 6,808
I was looking to get the preamp option as well. But from emailing with NA Lampizator, they can add that option which checks the box for me.
Interesting. On their website, it states preamp as not an option.
I was looking to add a speaker setup as well. What speakers setup are you running?
I use Focal Aria 905 bookshelf speakers w/ a SVS SV 1000 sub for nearfield and GoldenEar T2s for big listening. Those image and stage like rockstars, but can be a bit beamy, meaning the sweet spot is a bit small.

Jan 10, 2022 at 6:13 PM Post #3,823 of 6,808
Interesting. On their website, it states preamp as not an option.

I use Focal Aria 905 bookshelf speakers w/ a SVS SV 1000 sub for nearfield and GoldenEar T2s for big listening. Those image and stage like rockstars, but can be a bit beamy, meaning the sweet spot is a bit small.
I saw that on their website as well. I was confused at first but then I went to the Baltic 3 whatsbestforum and had seen someone else get that option.

I'll take a look at them Focals! I'll have to pitch the living room for big listening to the wife.

Jan 10, 2022 at 7:00 PM Post #3,824 of 6,808

My OTL has the power switch right and HP jack left.

Incubus with 6j5s.jpg

Jan 10, 2022 at 7:30 PM Post #3,825 of 6,808
I'll take a look at them Focals!
Theyre discontinued, replaced by the 906, IIRC.

They were the highest rated for the price, at the time, so if your budget is north of 1k, im sure theyre are better out there, but they do the trick for me.
My OTL has the power switch right and HP jack left.
I'm diggin' the rusted, vintage look. Very cool!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back