L0rdGwyn's DIY Audio
Jan 17, 2022 at 2:52 PM Post #3,871 of 6,784
I used to have a pair of GradoMagnums with zebrawood cups that looked similar. Ironically, when I first met Zach I asked him to make a pair of Atticus in heavily contrasted zebrawood, but his blanks didnt have the high contrast stripes to them.

Zebrawood would be a good alternative with a similar aesthetic for sure.

Jan 17, 2022 at 4:41 PM Post #3,872 of 6,784
Hopefully they have enough wood for a Ltd run of this. Looks amazing!
Well I think the point here is that this is kind of a unique one off thing. And rightfully so, it should be! Something unique, especially the book matching, in return for something as unique and special as that 45 Zach now has. So honestly I kind of hope not.

Happy listening,

jgwtriode

Jan 17, 2022 at 5:54 PM Post #3,873 of 6,784
Nothing major to report, just sharing a pic of the finished black and white ebony VC ear cups. Finish is gloss lacquer.

IMG_20220117_112430.jpg
Amazing congratulations!
Thanks! I'm sorry to say doing a run with this wood isn't practical. It is hard to find, takes years to dry it out, large quantities just aren't available unfortunately.
I´m sad now but I can understand the reason. You both trade it unique pieces of audio gear.

Jan 17, 2022 at 6:10 PM Post #3,874 of 6,784
Nothing major to report, just sharing a pic of the finished black and white ebony VC ear cups. Finish is gloss lacquer.

IMG_20220117_112430.jpg
Damn. That's just plain gorgeous. Honestly, I was a bit underwhelmed with the first pictures of the unfinished cups, but the gloss, contrast, and depth of grain now that they're finished has me totally 'whelmed'. :laughing:

Jan 17, 2022 at 8:25 PM Post #3,875 of 6,784
Indeed well glossed wood is gorgeous, very showy. But there is something about the feel, touch and earthy richness of raw wood that does get lost. I have some well figured waterfall bubinga and a moderate size piece of Wenge that I was going to use for a project. Basically small pieces of sheet lumber. I just love looking at them in there raw but cut and sanded form!

Happy listening,

jgwtriode

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2022 at 4:32 PM Post #3,878 of 6,784
This is awesome! What wiring method did you end up using for the input and output: shielded or twisted pair?

Cheers!

Both! I use shielded twisted pair for the input wiring to reduce noise pickup.

Jan 22, 2022 at 8:34 AM Post #3,880 of 6,784

IMG_20220117_112430.jpg

What a gorgeous set of cups :slight_smile:

Jan 22, 2022 at 10:14 AM Post #3,881 of 6,784
What a gorgeous set of cups :slight_smile:

Thanks, Joe, looking forward to getting them, should be soon.

Sorry I haven't been updating here, very busy at work, won't let up any time soon. Going to try and finish this other Airmid over the weekend. Will be picking up my Klipsch speakers on Monday, then will finalize plans of the metal grills and order materials. When I've had time, I've been playing with the idea of building a high-power amplifier (by my standards). Just ideas at the moment, poring over schematics, building sims, etc. If I do it, will go one of two different directions.

A) Triode push-pull class A design using 6336 or 6528.

B) Solid state single-ended class A design using the THF-51S V-FETs.

My girlfriend uses the stereo in my bedroom often, and truth be told, the 1.5W that 45 amplifier is putting out isn't ideal for the 90dB/W Klipsch KG1s I have up there. For low-level listening it's fine, but she has admitted it would be nice to turn it up now and then, and the low-end performance would benefit. I want to rebuild that 45 amplifier, so in theory this high-power design would replace it while I do the rebuild.

Think I still have a pair of 6336 around here for option A. With two sections per tube, would only need a pair. Design would go input gain stage > long-tailed pair > 6528 / 6336. For the input stage, gain requirements would be low without using NFB, but could either use a high-gain triode or pentode input and play with adding some GNFB.

Option B is a little more approachable as I have a functional schematic for a THF-51S power amplifier, still need to work on the power supply. It would either need a preamp stage to make it an integrated or be paired with a dedicated preamp. Messing with solid state preamp stages this morning, but could also throw together a simple tube pre. My power amplifier design as it stands right now (in simulation) can do something like 40W at less than 1% THD.

So anyway, that's sort of what I've been working on in the background, making some plans. Will post some pics of the bronze Airmid when I finish it.

Jan 22, 2022 at 11:45 AM Post #3,883 of 6,784
Did Zach make a second set of these? I see 4 cups in this picture. So is making himself a pair from this wood as well? Would not blame him at all for doing so!

Very curious!

Happy listening,

jgwtriode

Yup, the other pair is his. In fact, the black and white ebony was his idea.

Jan 22, 2022 at 12:00 PM Post #3,884 of 6,784
Sweet deal! Zach definitely has an incredibly artistic sensibility. I think that carries over into everything he does. You can actually hear it in his headphone tuning. No other headphones I have listened to are as musical or organic sounding. And as good as The Paradox Slant was in that regard and my super tweaked HD 650. The Auteur clobbered either of them particularly in that way. The VC is even more so. All though it is not as lush as the Auteur, but even in the midrange it actually sounds more like real instrument and voices playing together. The Auteur is about 80 to 85% of that with a wonderfully euphonic tonality and richness that is hard to walk away from. But, when the VC is fully broken in and your system is tuned to exploit what it does; then you know that the VC is, in fact, not just technically better but also musically and emotionally a much more satisfying headphone. The best part of the VC is how it balances tone, harmonic structure and both instrumental and vocal textures so incredibly well.

Happy listening,

jgwtriode

Jan 22, 2022 at 2:48 PM Post #3,885 of 6,784
Sorry I haven't been updating here, very busy at work, won't let up any time soon. Going to try and finish this other Airmid over the weekend. Will be picking up my Klipsch speakers on Monday, then will finalize plans of the metal grills and order materials. When I've had time, I've been playing with the idea of building a high-power amplifier (by my standards). Just ideas at the moment, poring over schematics, building sims, etc. If I do it, will go one of two different directions.

A) Triode push-pull class A design using 6336 or 6528.

B) Solid state single-ended class A design using the THF-51S V-FETs.
This is a family friendly forum. Please don't swear, even if it is your thread.

😂🤣😂

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back