L.K.S. Audio MH-DA004 Dual ES9038PRO DAC - Van Damme's double impact?
Dec 26, 2020 at 5:19 AM Post #3,107 of 4,419
Don't have a lot of Watts, but the best watt is the first watt .. my home-made flea watt amps
and old speakers .. Merry Xmas !!!
What a beautiful system. And a wonderful listening room. I love such wooden floors. Great taste!
Did you really build the amplifier yourself? And yes, it's true, the first Watt is the most important and the most critical.
Even though I have at least 280W's, I almost never reach more than 1W.
How is the deep bass with your tannoy's?

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2020 at 12:16 PM Post #3,108 of 4,419
What a beautiful system. And a wonderful listening room. I love such wooden floors. Great taste!
Did you really build the amplifier yourself? And yes, it's true, the first Watt is the most important and the most critical.
Even though I have at least 280W's, I almost never reach more than 1W.
How is the deep bass with your tannoy's?

Thanks Xoverman.
I like your v-shaped high ceiling, it adds natural reverberation to the sound.

Yes, I built six Direct-Heat-Triode monoblocks, starting from wood planks, metal plates,
drill a lot of holes, solder a lot of joints. There are no capacitors along the signal path.

The Tannoys can go ~35Hz ... shake the floor with 0.5 watt when I play Cavelleria Rusticana
Dances with Wolves...
I decouple the speakers from the floor using tiles and little screws, really help the bass.

Xoverman, I have to thank you again for your "copper wall" modification.
It yields great improvement.

I *think* you have Accusilicon clock in your LKS ?
What do you think of it ?

Dec 27, 2020 at 5:29 AM Post #3,110 of 4,419
Thanks Xoverman.
I like your v-shaped high ceiling, it adds natural reverberation to the sound.

Yes, I built six Direct-Heat-Triode monoblocks, starting from wood planks, metal plates,
drill a lot of holes, solder a lot of joints. There are no capacitors along the signal path.

The Tannoys can go ~35Hz ... shake the floor with 0.5 watt when I play Cavelleria Rusticana
Dances with Wolves...
I decouple the speakers from the floor using tiles and little screws, really help the bass.

Xoverman, I have to thank you again for your "copper wall" modification.
It yields great improvement.

I *think* you have Accusilicon clock in your LKS ?
What do you think of it ?
Yes, I have the impression the Accusilicon brings more focused imaging and better controlled bass.

Dec 27, 2020 at 5:56 AM Post #3,111 of 4,419
Yes, I have the impression the Accusilicon brings more focused imaging and better controlled bass.
Did you buy it from a place other than Audiophonics or Magna ?

Pulsar is not going to last forever so I am looking for viable alternatives.
AS318B does not seem to be on sale anymore

I currently evaluating SiTime SIT-5157 and Bliley BOVTL

SIT-5157 is a MEMS TCXO, surprisingly good expecially very deep hard hitting bass.
SiTime has increased prices, this used to sell for 30USD, it is over 50USD at the distributors today.
I am planning to get SIT-5357 which is the low phase noise variant.

BOVTL is a low cost OCXO, Bliley just starting selling to endusers, they specialize in OCXOs.
This OCXO as a proof of concept to see if it will work in the LKS, I probably order one of their higher end units with low phase noise
BOVTL rms jitter in the 10Hz-10KHz range is 160fs, CCHD950 is 226fs, AS318B is 200fs

Picture of the SIT-5157 mounted on a Twisted Pear Rhea adaptor.
@fmzip, this is what Rhea looks like
0545FF95-2056-44CB-9CCB-F6554D8C4CAB_1_201_a.jpeg

588339A3-D1DB-41CD-8989-B6D0A931369A_1_105_c.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2020 at 6:09 AM Post #3,112 of 4,419
Did you buy it from a place other than Audiophonics or Magna ?

Pulsar is not going to last forever so I am looking for viable alternatives.
AS318B does not to be on sale anymore

I currently evaluating SiTime SI5157 and Bliley BOVTL
SiTime has increased prices, this used to sell for 30USD, it is over 50USD at the distributors today.

SI5157 is a MEMS TCXO, surprisingly good expecially very deep hard hitting bass.
I am planning to get Si5137 which is the low phase noise variant

BOVTL is a low cost OCXO, Bliley just starting selling to endusers, they specialize in OCXOs.
This OCXO as a proof of concept to see if it will work in the LKS, I probably order one of their higher end units with low phase noise
BOVTL rms jitter in the 10Hz-10KHz range is 162fs, CCHD950 is 226fs

Picture of the 5157 mounted on a Twisted Pear Rhea adaptor.
@fmzip, this is what Rhea looks like
0545FF95-2056-44CB-9CCB-F6554D8C4CAB_1_201_a.jpeg
588339A3-D1DB-41CD-8989-B6D0A931369A_1_105_c.jpeg

I have been using the Sitime 5357 for a long time now. It is my favourite with the DAC. Never looked back.
Great definition in all the aspects of the music. It may not have the low phase of the crystek and the accusilicon but I didn't miss it one bit. It, however, has great frequency stability under temperature and vibration which can explain the good performance.
I liked the bass of the accusilicon but didn't like the treble. In my opinion, a bit too plastic.

Dec 27, 2020 at 6:29 AM Post #3,113 of 4,419
I have been using the Sitime 5357 for a long time now. It is my favourite with the DAC. Never looked back.
Great definition in all the aspects of the music. It may not have the low phase of the crystek and the accusilicon but I didn't miss it one bit. It, however, has great frequency stability under temperature and vibration which can explain the good performance.
I liked the bass of the accusilicon but didn't like the treble. In my opinion, a bit too plastic.
SIT-5357 rms jitter is not too far off from the CCHD950
MEMS XOs are more resistant to vibration, if you have the DAC between 2 large speakers
it will perform better than the conventional quartz crystal.
phase_noise.png

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2020 at 1:18 PM Post #3,114 of 4,419
Markup of some of the common mods

[3] Tantalum Vcom bypass Qty:2
Generic Yellow bead solid tantalum 100uF 10V eg AVX TAP107K010SRW
Unit in photo is a Wet Tantalum 150uF 10V Vishay 109D157X9010C2 (Expensive)

b0bb,

Is the polarity marked on the board for installation on the tantalums? If not, is there a marking on the OEM caps that are there?

Thanks for the shot of the Rhea board, I have one on the way

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2020 at 2:41 PM Post #3,115 of 4,419
My documentation starts on page 171 of this thread, but it's all for the latest generation.

It's too bad that LKS stopped using a high current regulator for the clock. I would have liked to use an OCXO, but found that the Accusilicon was absolutely excellent.
I wonder why they put silver mica in the I/V conversation stage ?

Guys,

Where exactly did you solder the .1 uf cap when using the Accusilicon clock? Is it underneath the clock or on the bottom side of the PCB, between pin 7 & 14? Ready to start surgery tomorrow, creating some work instructions for the shop floor.

http://www.accusilicon.com/docs/AS318BM.pdf

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #3,116 of 4,419
b0bb,

Is the polarity marked on the board for installation on the tantalums? If not, is there a marking on the OEM caps that are there?
It is marked on my board, remove the original cap to see if it is there on yours.

The tantalum cap will have a marking for polarity, post pictures if unsure.

Match up the polarity on both the board and cap, do not power on until you have performed this check.
Tantalums are not tolerant of reverse polarity voltage.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2020 at 3:00 PM Post #3,118 of 4,419
Where did you buy AS318 ?

I bought the last one they had at Magna.

Thanks for the explanation on the tantalum cap polarity. What type of cap is the tantalum cap replacing? I was wondering if there would be a polarity marking under the black covering of the cap if it's not on the board.

Dec 29, 2020 at 9:34 PM Post #3,120 of 4,419
hey guys, I soldered the 0.01uf film cap across the +/- power pins of the clock on the under-side of the board. The Accusilicon clock is a large format 4-pin clock that inserts directly into the holes on the LKS board. I ordered mine from Audophonics in UK when they had them. They still have Accusilicon clocks, but not the 100 mHz requried for LKS. I'll post pic here again:
IV_back_muse.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back