L.K.S. Audio MH-DA004 Dual ES9038PRO DAC - Van Damme's double impact?
Nov 21, 2017 at 6:46 PM Post #422 of 4,419
i just tried upsample to 48k 512. it plays normally but just showing un-lock. if play 44.1 512, it shows 512 as usual. any idea?
I cannot verify it because I haven't played DSD512 yet and I do not have the DAC at the moment.
It sounds like a firmware issue.
As you use HQPlayer like me (I 'm actually an official reseller for it), did you notice a SQ improvement going DSD128 -> 256 -> 512?

Nov 22, 2017 at 1:20 AM Post #428 of 4,419
I doubt it.
At higher frequency higher bandwidth is needed. BW1-5 is low bandwidth.

Nope, the manual stated that the lower the number, the higher the bandwidth, and the more tolerances sensitivity the input signals are. That means, the lower the number such as BW1-5 can only work with sources that generated the lowest number of errors, or has better details info retrieval at higher frequency like you said.

The manual stated that the lower the number on the BW the better the sound

BA054FBB-5A3F-4A99-BB41-25FF4E4FDDA8.png

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #431 of 4,419
I bought this DAC blind a few months ago and have been pretty pleased with it so far. It is definitely not the most user-friendly DAC, but I think its build and performance are top-notch for the price.

Dec 5, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #432 of 4,419
It is definitely not the most user-friendly DAC, but I think its build and performance are top-notch for the price.

What would make it more "user friendly" for you? One thing I can think of is being able to set DPLL levels for PCM and DSD independently so that they switched automatically when the input did, the way the filters do

Any other suggestions? Perhaps LKS could adopt some for its next edition.

Dec 5, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #433 of 4,419
What would make it more "user friendly" for you? One thing I can think of is being able to set DPLL levels for PCM and DSD independently so that they switched automatically when the input did, the way the filters do

Any other suggestions? Perhaps LKS could adopt some for its next edition.

Well, for starters, they could add a (mini?) USB port for firmware updates directly from a computer instead of requiring users to physically open up the DAC and update the firmware while the power is on. I've been too timid to do the firmware update, because I'm afraid I'll accidentally fry the DAC or myself.

Dec 13, 2017 at 8:42 AM Post #434 of 4,419
Well, for starters, they could add a (mini?) USB port for firmware updates directly from a computer instead of requiring users to physically open up the DAC and update the firmware while the power is on. I've been too timid to do the firmware update, because I'm afraid I'll accidentally fry the DAC or myself.

While that would be nice, my guess is that's not possible as the issue is with the Amanero board rather than with the DAC. However, though inconvenient because you have to open up the unit, there is really no danger. The boards (Amanero + power supply for it) are removed while the power is off. While power is applied you only handle these boards away from the chassis Only about 5 volts is applied to them. Not much chance of frying anything. Then it's power off again for replacing the boards.

Have you seen the detailed instructions originally prepared by LKS? You can get them from LKS or you can PM me with an email address.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back