L.K.S. Audio MH-DA004 Dual ES9038PRO DAC - Van Damme's double impact?
Aug 16, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #256 of 4,419
I'm not having any issues with the Amanero. Works fine. For the moment I'm using it almost exclusively to play .dsf rips from my SACDs. DPLL is at 06. Music is on a 1TB Toshiba HD into an ASUS laptop running JRiver and out through the USB cable packed with the DAC (currently researching a better, reasonably priced, cable). What comes through is what's on the file. There's great audio, there's better audio; there's worse audio. I have also played PCMs through the Amanero with DPLL at 01. On occasion, when music is not playing it makes a shwsh sound for a moment or two.

My issues were that with different filtering on different DSD files, the unit acts like it is possessed, different howling noises and statics....etc....etc....that was why I asked for replacement module, and even so...still happening.

Aug 16, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #257 of 4,419
People keep saying that Yggdrasil is awesome with 16/44.1khz it would be an awesome comparison with LKS MH-DA004 because I find this to my liking :p (Pun from Diablo 2, Ref Act 2)

Aug 16, 2017 at 1:46 PM Post #258 of 4,419
People keep saying that Yggdrasil is awesome with 16/44.1khz it would be an awesome comparison with LKS MH-DA004 because I find this to my liking :p (Pun from Diablo 2, Ref Act 2)
Lol.....the speed of modern DAC is so slow man, and so some manufacturers are trying to match up the speed with R2R and Delta Sigma technologies to keep their products life-cycle for more than 1-2 years. They can also throw in some FPGA like a fancy little dandy and charge for $10,000.

But and then, seriously, these DAC progressing is so slow that most of the China done right products with Ancients technologies such as Discrete Class A output, simple circuitry regulatory and design with different paths just need some little tweaking here and there to accommodate, and in the while improving the quality of which coming off from the DAC chips themselves @ affordable prices and Great quality.

What I want to see is to have these Dave or Jason to compete with LSK DAC in the next 5 years. Does it make sense to pay 10k for a unit that can only last up to 5 years ? Idk...not for me

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2017 at 5:57 AM Post #263 of 4,419
Last edited:
Aug 17, 2017 at 10:29 PM Post #266 of 4,419
Is it worth doing a cap replacement for the 950X too? I still need to send a proper picture of the revised board for that matter.
That needs a different type of cap, something like a Nichicon R7 between 47uF and 220uF, just be mindful of making too changes at once, the DAC is going to sound quite different with each mod.

Aug 18, 2017 at 7:57 AM Post #268 of 4,419
That needs a different type of cap, something like a Nichicon R7 between 47uF and 220uF, just be mindful of making too changes at once, the DAC is going to sound quite different with each mod.

Now, the next thing I would like more improved is that I want more vertical senses of spaces. What should I start tinkering with ?

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2017 at 10:59 PM Post #269 of 4,419
Now, the next thing I would like more improved is that I want more vertical senses of spaces. What should I start tinkering with ?

The older LT3042 PSU that comes with the enhanced USB is quite good but there is considerable room for improvement.
It can be rebuilt to give substantial improvement in instrument separation and the low end response becomes deeper by about 0.5-1 octave lower
7732963.jpg

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/lks-audio-mh-da003.745032/page-8#post-12035366

I am using the above board in the 004.

The 004 even in stock form has very good vertical separation, the rebuilt PSU board improves on this further.
You need to use a head phone or speakers capable of providing good vertical sound staging.

The HD800 is very good at this, it bests the SR009 in this respect, as for speakers it needs to be quite tall, my primary speaker is a Martin Logan Summit which is about 5ft tall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back