L.K.S. Audio MH-DA004 Dual ES9038PRO DAC - Van Damme's double impact?
Aug 25, 2017 at 9:34 PM Post #288 of 4,419
What is the amperage for the Power supply card into USB ? I bought a transformer and it has 2x secondary of 15V. I wonder if I should parallel them up for double amperage or ....it would blow stuff lol

About 180mA (120mA for card + 60mA for the XOs)

Transformer voltages are specified at full load, 15V seems high you should measure the secondary voltage with no load, I expect it to be between 18-20V, the max DC voltage would be 1.4x that number.

If the AC input to the regulator is too high it will overheat.

Aug 26, 2017 at 1:24 AM Post #289 of 4,419
About 180mA (120mA for card + 60mA for the XOs)

Transformer voltages are specified at full load, 15V seems high you should measure the secondary voltage with no load, I expect it to be between 18-20V, the max DC voltage would be 1.4x that number.

If the AC input to the regulator is too high it will overheat.
I will go with 7V secondary then. Thank you!

Aug 26, 2017 at 9:26 AM Post #291 of 4,419
Whitigir, Are you using an RFI filter on the AC input? If so, which?

Thanks.
I plan on using one from Furutech right after the main one and switch ? With crimped on wires or soldering, but I think for now I need to get a good transformer and a slot to fit him it first
furutech-ac-1001

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2017 at 12:41 PM Post #292 of 4,419
I plan on using one from Furutech right after the main one and switch ? With crimped on wires or soldering, but I think for now I need to get a good transformer and a slot to fit him it first
furutech-ac-1001
Oh, I see. Interesting. Isn't that an IEC? I thought the plan was to piggy-back on the existing IEC. Will hopefully look forward to a picture.
Would love to hear your reaction to the change, as I use the USB a lot. Of course I've already insulated the USB socket.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #293 of 4,419
Oh, I see. Interesting. I thought the plan was to piggy-back on the existing IEC.
Would love to hear your reaction to the change, as I use the USB a lot. Of course I've already insulated the USB socket.

Cheers!
Oh yeah, I am going to piggy back as well on the same socket. Simply parallel the wires into the Furutech filtering and then connect it to the transformer.

Sep 3, 2017 at 9:32 AM Post #294 of 4,419
Last edited:
Sep 3, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #295 of 4,419
Apparently the Wired 4 Sound DAC had a heat problem with its ESS 9038 chip (Sound familiar?), originally delivered without a heat sink. So they developed a massive heat sink for their lone chip. This is described by W4S with a good picture here: https://www.computeraudiophile.com/...ings-the-best-decision-unequivocally/?page=58

Owners are sending the DAC to the factory for the heat sink, though it looks like one that can be installed by a user or a dealer, but it is large.

It seems some of the 9038 designs (like LKS) run the chip very hot, and some (like the Oppo Sonica) run the chips cooler and don't require heat sinking. Any comments from the stronger technical members?

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2017 at 5:35 AM Post #298 of 4,419
I've just taken delivery of this wonderful machine thanks to all the reviews posted here. Not had much chance to listen yet but I'm hoping it's a huge upgrade on my blusound node 2.

Has anyone managed to get dsd256/512 native working in roon or hq player?

Sep 10, 2017 at 6:22 AM Post #299 of 4,419
I've just taken delivery of this wonderful machine thanks to all the reviews posted here. Not had much chance to listen yet but I'm hoping it's a huge upgrade on my blusound node 2.

Has anyone managed to get dsd256/512 native working in roon or hq player?

Yes, with Windows Amanero driver selected in ASIO mode, both Roon and HQPlayer have no problem playing at DSD 512 rates (provided PC keeps up).

Sep 10, 2017 at 6:34 AM Post #300 of 4,419
Just an update; I've held off from fitting the caps as it still seems the unit is breaking in. Quite glad I did wait. Certainly some of the dynamic swing has recovered, if not quite T+A level, but good enough. In virtually all other respects its pulling ahead of the T+A now, even in DSD 512 mode.

The Amanero PCB is running the latest firmware, now compatible with Linux Native DSD. It's connected to a Allo Usbridge to great effect. Certainly in the same category sonically as the JCAT Femto, and able to stream DSD 512 in roon very well (just about with NAA). Just beware the current latest firmware is very occasionally glitchy, though not nearly as much of an issue with the Usbridge as that tends to be stable once locked. There's currently no Windows driver for the latest firmware either.

I have noticed underneath the chassis that LKS has added a heatsink strip and mounted all of the output transistors against it, which no doubt also lowers the heat stress on the I/V caps on the other side.

@b0bb : any suggestions where I can find a DIP socket that's suitable for the LKS PCB, for when I get around to changing the XO? Will take your advice and stage each change in a slow progressive manor.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back