L.K.S. Audio MH-DA004 Dual ES9038PRO DAC - Van Damme's double impact?
Sep 11, 2017 at 8:27 PM Post #303 of 4,419
Hi all,

I have had the Lks 004 Dac for a few weeks now and for the most part I am very pleased. The only gripe I have is, it keeps loosing the lock after its on for a while. I placed a small fan blowing on the Dac chips and problem went away. I also find that the two heat sinks furthest to the right looking at the front get extremely hot, so much you can't touch them for more than a few seconds. Also the caps closest are very warm.

My question for the Dac chips would be, are there better heat sinks that can be used?
As far as the other chips what could be done about correcting the heat issue there. Maybe moving the chips below the pcb possibly mounting to case, or is there a more efficient part. I really don't want to use a fan.

Thanks

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #306 of 4,419
Bobb what if we swap out Nichicon for Blackgate Capacitors ? 50V-47mF right ?

The caps on the XO supply should be types like the Nichicon R7 (solid polymer) or NOS Sanyo OSCON SGs (organic electrolyte), these are becoming hard to find.
Use the same value as the OE part to start.

Blackgates are audio caps and are not suitable for power supply bypass tasks on high speed digital circuits running at 100MHz+.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #313 of 4,419
Finally I can use this DAC in bandwidth 01 without stalling issues (cold/hot) doesn't matter, and why does it matter ?

IMG_1886.JPG

IMG_1884.JPG

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #314 of 4,419
RCA is Single Ended and XLR is balanced. The 004 was designed from the ground up to be Balanced with Mono power supply into each channel and DAC , output stage.
I know that rca is single ended but I want to know if someone have noted differences.
I miss some impact and dynamic that I had in my last Dac.. I used rca in my dynahi with it but of course they are different dacs with their respective differences. So maybe I am missing something with the rca outs...

Sep 15, 2017 at 8:14 AM Post #315 of 4,419
For reasons I am uncertain of my Amanero board went dead a few days ago. I wrote to Jinbo at LKS supposing I would need a replacement. He suggested that I first try flashing the board with the latest firmware. He told me he was preparing detailed instructions for doing that. So I waited. Conclusion of the story is that it worked perfectly and my board is up and running. Jinbo's instructions are detailed, one step at a time, illustrated and entirely in English. I've made a very few clarifications and turned it into a .pdf. As I wrote to him, this kind of support on mu-sound's support page would go a long way to getting this great product the recognition it deserves outside of East Asia.

I tried to upload the file here, but do not see it. If I haven't done it correctly perhaps someone could PM me. In any event if it doesn't show I'd be happy to send it if you would PM me.

Attachments

• DA004 USB update note (e).pdf
    373.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back