L.K.S. Audio MH-DA004 Dual ES9038PRO DAC - Van Damme's double impact?
Aug 15, 2017 at 11:29 PM Post #242 of 4,419
@b0bb i think you might have mentioned that LKS may have done this to tame some of the harshness from the 575-50 in place, though that applied more so to the 003 design.

Is it worth investing in an upgraded crystal soon after given the possibility of this?

I suspect the reclocker on the 9038 is also sensitive to crystal quality. I was thinking of starting with the crystek cchd-950x though I'm happy to take suggestions here. Will consider the Pulsar once I've tried a cheaper alternative to understand impact at first.

The 950x + associated parts is about 50USD not much of a risk to try. The sound will change and you may have to replace the caps around the XO regulator, the choice of audio caps for bypass of high speed digital loads like an XO seems odd to me.

Aug 16, 2017 at 2:09 AM Post #243 of 4,419
The 950x + associated parts is about 50USD not much of a risk to try. The sound will change and you may have to replace the caps around the XO regulator, the choice of audio caps for bypass of high speed digital loads like an XO seems odd to me.

Do we have to replace caps around the crystal if we use pulsar clock ?

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2017 at 3:16 AM Post #246 of 4,419
The device is on for around 17 hours now and it's really not that hot, my amp is hotter.

Aug 16, 2017 at 6:53 AM Post #249 of 4,419

I'll try get some pictures of the revised PCB by early next week, as the area has been revised. Would there be any side effects or difficulties of using a 14 pin DIP socket when switching the XOs ? Switching the caps for Panasonic FMs are priority first.

Aug 16, 2017 at 6:54 AM Post #250 of 4,419
I don't think 004 has over heat problem. People only worry about the heat being dissipated toward the Capacitors which reduces the life time of the 004.

The device is on for around 17 hours now and it's really not that hot, my amp is hotter.

You may have the revised version where the output transistors that used to reside next to the I/V caps has now been placed on the other side of the PCB far away, hence doesn't seem too hot.

Aug 16, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #254 of 4,419
Any difference in sound quality after revised version?
Don't think any of us have the new and the old revisions side by side yet. Though its possible there is a difference given the revisions.
If nit picking, then sure, may be very nuances differences. There are even Jensen Capacitors vs Mundorf one, and mine has Jensen Capacitors inside :) and older USB power card, which I later got a replacement sent in. Majority of it shall be very similar and the same

Aug 16, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #255 of 4,419
And yes, the Native DSD is horrible on Amenero, even with my new replacement card--sad. Though PCM on it is awesome and better than Xmos
I'm not having any issues with the Amanero. Works fine. For the moment I'm using it almost exclusively to play .dsf rips from my SACDs. DPLL is at 06. Music is on a 1TB Toshiba HD into an ASUS laptop running JRiver and out through the USB cable packed with the DAC (currently researching a better, reasonably priced, cable). I also block the #4 USB contact which carries the 5 volts, unnecessary for the Amanero. Slightly better sound as a result. What comes through is what's on the file. There's great audio, there's better audio; there's worse audio. I have also played PCMs through the Amanero with DPLL at 01. On occasion, when music is not playing it makes a shwsh sound for a moment or two.
I don't think 004 has over heat problem. People only worry about the heat being dissipated toward the Capacitors which reduces the life time of the 004.
I have put heat sinks on pairs of the warm transistors and a strip of Reflect-a-Gold between them and the 22uF caps. I think it also helps to turn the top cover around so that the screened opening is over these transistors and caps. Looking forward to how the Panasonic caps sound.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back