L.K.S. Audio MH-DA004 Dual ES9038PRO DAC - Van Damme's double impact?
Dec 27, 2021 at 3:19 PM Post #4,351 of 4,419
@leondikim Yes, I have been running at 1.3v using the Belleson regulators. I think I've got a couple of months on the modifications. Listening to DSD512 exclusively.

As b0bb has mentioned previously, it's not a beginner's mod. I used a preheater, temp probes, and hot air to get the regulator chips to release from the board.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2022 at 6:27 AM Post #4,352 of 4,419
@leondikim Yes, I have been running at 1.3v using the Belleson regulators. I think I've got a couple of months on the modifications. Listening to DSD512 exclusively.

As b0bb has mentioned previously, it's not a beginner's mod. I used a preheater, temp probes, and hot air to get the regulator chips to release from the board.
Hello monolithic, may you share the sonic differences you experienced with us?

Jan 4, 2022 at 3:34 PM Post #4,353 of 4,419
@Xoverman I cannot attest solely to the sonic differences of only the 1.3v regs versus the 1.2v regs. I made the voltage change to support moving from DSD256 to DSD512 and have made other changes to the front end to support the change in format. DSD512 presents a larger soundstage and more low-level detail using the modified dac.

Aug 1, 2022 at 10:41 AM Post #4,354 of 4,419
Is there a list generic (i.e. inexpensive) mod that can be done on this device?

I'm thinking capacitor changes and maybe diodes and resistors?

Aug 3, 2022 at 8:57 AM Post #4,357 of 4,419
just a question again, any reason to use Vishay caps? I thought the Wima caps are an inexpensive but good cap. Thanks again

Aug 4, 2022 at 1:21 AM Post #4,358 of 4,419
just a question again, any reason to use Vishay caps? I thought the Wima caps are an inexpensive but good cap. Thanks again
The caps are Vishay Roederstein, current production version of the classic Roederstein film on foil 1% tolerance polyproplyene cap of the 80's and 90's used by Krell, Pass and others.
Wima does not make an equivalent cap today.

ES9038Pro is very unforgiving if you choose to use substandard parts.
If you want to experiment with something cheaper you will have to do the work to bring the 9038 under control within the limitations of your component choices.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2022 at 7:00 PM Post #4,359 of 4,419
If anyone ever cares I've got the DAC for sale for a while now.
Probably still is a good DAC for new comers :wink:

Dec 27, 2022 at 7:19 AM Post #4,360 of 4,419
If anyone ever cares I've got the DAC for sale for a while now.
Probably still is a good DAC for new comers :wink:

If I may ask, that's your next target after the DAC listed for sale? Are you after anything specific? Thanks!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Dec 27, 2022 at 4:06 PM Post #4,361 of 4,419
If I may ask, that's your next target after the DAC listed for sale? Are you after anything specific? Thanks!
I mean, I'm just selling it to get more gear, my next purchase is probably the Sus :wink:
I'm guessing you see my current DAC in my Signature... I've got a few more things up my sleeve for sale I'll post soon, just wondering why no one is interested in the LKS since there's this huge thread and the quality is still good for the DAC.

Dec 31, 2022 at 7:37 PM Post #4,363 of 4,419
I mean, I'm just selling it to get more gear, my next purchase is probably the Sus :wink:
I'm guessing you see my current DAC in my Signature... I've got a few more things up my sleeve for sale I'll post soon, just wondering why no one is interested in the LKS since there's this huge thread and the quality is still good for the DAC.
I have not followed this thread for a while but I am getting back interested into the mod history of the LKS DAC. Not sure if you modded your LKS, but if you did and are happy with the results, why sell this DAC since it has a near 300 thread interest and assuming you are pleased with the results ?

Even in stock form, this DAC sounds pretty amazing.

Dec 31, 2022 at 7:41 PM Post #4,364 of 4,419
Is there a list generic (i.e. inexpensive) mod that can be done on this device?

I'm thinking capacitor changes and maybe diodes and resistors?
Is there a comprehensive list of the mods that proved to be successful that has been done so far to this DAC ? Perhaps the list can be broken down section-by-section which would explain which set of mods upgrade or impact what part of the DAC, IE: Power Supply, USB, 9038 chips, etc.

Thanks.

Dec 31, 2022 at 8:16 PM Post #4,365 of 4,419
I have not followed this thread for a while but I am getting back interested into the mod history of the LKS DAC. Not sure if you modded your LKS, but if you did and are happy with the results, why sell this DAC since it has a near 300 thread interest and assuming you are pleased with the results ?

Even in stock form, this DAC sounds pretty amazing.
I did not mod mine, so it's an open canvas for whoever wants to try their modding skills.
Selling mine in favour of Susvara or whatever headphones will win me on my TOTL chain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back