L.K.S. Audio MH-DA004 Dual ES9038PRO DAC - Van Damme's double impact?
Jan 28, 2019 at 2:34 PM Post #1,786 of 4,419
I have Sotm sms 200 ultra, Singxer u-1, LKS 004. Music is on Sinology NAS. Streamme via the Sqeezelite server. Why convert Squeeze DSD files to PCM352?

When I stream through Mpd / dln to Sotm and Sinology Media servers on NAS, then DSD works. But my overall sound over the Sqeezelite server is better.

Jan 30, 2019 at 2:15 AM Post #1,787 of 4,419
This is the review I have just published on my forum, hope it is of interest.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
39910791983_8069d453de_o.jpg

The LKS is a large unit, very nicely built and finished in brushed aluminium. There is no pressed steel here, it’s all milled panels. It’s quite heavy too, at 7kg. It features a large green informative display and buttons on the front panel. There is also a milled remote in the same finish.

The key feature of this DAC, and the reason it has a small cult following, is that it employs the latest ESS Sabre 9038Pro chips in dual mono configuration. Combined with this is a femto-clock with less than 82fs jitter and Nichicon, Mundorf and Wima capacitors inside. There are Cardas and Furutech connectors on the rear. It also has a fully discrete output stage, everything being laid out on a single circuit board. The power supply is a dual linear separating digital and analogue sections, with 13 separate regulators. The DAC chips have heatsinks on them and the unit runs warm to the touch.

There are several connectors on the back: inputs are co-ax, optical, BNC and AES S/PDIF, USB (at a choice of two different specifications), I2S-E (I2S over Ethernet) and I2S-H (I2S over HDMI). Outputs are either single-ended phono or balanced XLR. The volume can be fixed for use with a preamp or variable for direct connection to a power amp, the latter giving a 0 to -127dB range. If USB input is important to you, there is an upgraded version available with an Amanero USB board.

Sample rates accepted are PCM 44k, 48k, 88k, 96k, 176k, 192k, 352k, 384k, 768k; DSD 64x, 128x, 256x, 512x, 1024x; DOP 64x, 128x, 256x. There are also a total of 11 selectable filters including brickwall, linear phase, minimum phase, apodizing and hybrid. The PLL bandwidth can be set for tighter clock capture and better sound quality, at a cost of not locking onto some signals, or loosened to accept poorer connection quality. Finally, de-emphasis can be enabled for recordings made using it.

The display shows input, format & sample rate, filter, PLL setting and volume. These same functions are repeated on the excellent remote, for which you will need a CR-2032 battery. The DAC has been on the market for almost two years and revisions have been made to the cooling and some component choices. The small Chinese company listens to feedback from users and has incorporate some changes as required. It’s a mature product with a small cult following, although virtually unknown in the West.

Listening configuration

There are many possible settings, so I’ve settled on the SLOW-M Minimum Phase filter, the same as was used in my Ayre player, as a starting point. I’ve also set the PLL bandwidth to 2 as I don’t get any lock problems. Input for testing was BNC S/PDIF from the Allo DigiOne via a Black Cat Silverstar 75 cable. I intend to move to I2S at some point but I can’t use that input just yet.

The LKS is powered from my PS Audio P10 regenerator via a Coherent 6D power cable. It runs warm to the touch and I have given it over 100 hours of burn-in. I replaced the rear panel fuse in the IEC inlet with a Synergistic Research SR Red fuse. I also have an SGS grounding box connected to the unused co-ax socket ground. After a short experiment with driving my power amp directly from the LKS using its volume control, I decided the balance was too bright and light in the bass. I therefore conducted all my listening with the LKS connected to my Pass XP-20 preamp. I also tried single-ended and balanced connection to the preamp and preferred the latter using Yannis 223.5 ConnectLitz XLR cables.

Data lock occurs within half a beat which is fine for most music. I found the occasional stream missing the first note in the music as it acquired lock. It’s possible that further adjustment of the PLL bandwidth will help it lock faster, but I left it set to 2. Sources were Qobuz Studio, Spotify HQ and some local hi-res files.

The rest of my system is a Belles SA-100 power amplifier and Usher Dancer Be-20 speakers.

Sound impressions

Overall, the LKS throws an enormous amount of detail onto the soundstage, revealing just how much was laid down in the original recording. Furthermore, it can create very large dynamic swings and features attack with startling leading edge detail. It's a ‘big' and ‘fast’ sounding DAC with a rhythmic flow and sense of ‘boogie’ that makes you want to just keep listening. The soundstage is wide and deep and can occasionally be uncanny: I have turned my head thinking that someone is in the room with me more than once. Frequencies from top to bottom are naturally balanced. If there is deep bass it certainly reproduces it, but it doesn't sound bass heavy unless that's the nature of the music. The sheer amount of attack can make it sound bright on some material, but I don't think it’s balanced that way, the edge detail just fools the brain. Listening at around 88dB peak through my speakers, there is no fatigue over several hours, a good sign that there are no nasties in the playback chain.

Musical Notes

Robert Plant - The Principle of Moments - Big Log & Thru' With the Two Step: stark studio sound, extreme clarity into a distinctive acoustic. Dire Straits - On Every Street - You and Your Friend: the opening feint drum roll loading up the room, overall ambience, striking dynamics. Dire Straits - Communique - Where Do You Think You're Going: clarity, power of drumming. Paul Simon - One Trick Pony - Late in the Evening: astonishing clarity and detail in the percussion, almost overshadowing his vocals. Bill Callahan - Apocalypse – Drover: huge depth, Callahan mouthing ‘tse tse’ rather like cymbals. The Mountain Goats - The Life of the World to Come - 1 Samuel: beautiful cymbal decay, percussion, guitar body being tapped. John Patitucci - Remembrance - Messaien's Gumbo: fantastic percussion texture and shape, knockout dynamics. Dave Brubeck - Time Out - Blue Rondo a la Turk: very natural percussive piano, nice soundstage. Jewel - Spirit – Barcelona: the wah keyboard (?) in the opening and her fantastically held crescendos. Juliette Commagere - Queens Die Proudly - The Big Middle: hushed whispering in the opening. Paul Simon - Graceland – Homeless: palpable studio, infra-bass air movements.

Respighi – Belkis Queen of Sheba – Oue, Minnesota: expansive orchestra, lovely distant percussion reaching a tremendous peak later in the piece. Respighi – Pines of Rome – Lane, Atlanta: the superb organ in this Telarc recording rumbles with incredible impact during the Catacomb section. Glass – Koyaanisqatsi – Prophecies: wonderful massed voices stage left, each voice easily distinguishable, basses singing at the end. Wagner – Gotterdammerung – Solti, VPO: staggering brass section climaxes in this amazing old Decca recording. Shostakovich – Symphony No. 10 – Jarvi, SNO: massively dynamic rendering of Shostakovich's contempt for Stalin. Durufle – Requiem – Malmberg, SRC: the layered choir and organ in this BIS recording make for an achingly gorgeous rendition of this work. Vivaldi – The Four Seasons – Drottningholm, Sparf: another favourite BIS recording of mine and it passes the test, sounding stupendous with ultra-vivid lead violin, explosive dynamics and deep continuo organ.

Conclusions

A comprehensively equipped DAC for those with a highly resolving system. Very dynamic and highly detailed, it will match those who prefer an upfront presentation and will best suit a neutrally balanced system. Because of the edge detail and attack, it’s likely to sound too bright in an already harsh or brightly lit system. This is the first DAC with Sabre chips that I have found to be natural sounding, yet it retains their known ability in the resolution department.

The only real difficulty you will have is no ability to get a demonstration anywhere, unless you know someone who owns one (!) I did my research and took a punt and it paid off. I bought it through Amazon so as to get some buyer protection. It arrived surprisingly quickly from Shenzhen in China and was exceptionally well packed.

Most importantly, and the reason it’ll be staying in my system, is that the LKS delivers remarkable levels of musical insight. Some recordings are so vivid that you will hear everything the engineer intended, and perhaps some unintentional things, too! Some live recordings, both rock and classical, will pin you there in the event with an unforgettable musical experience. That, ultimately, is what hi-fi is all about.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2019 at 5:29 PM Post #1,788 of 4,419
Well written review that absolutely mirrors my impression of this very value priced dac. Based on the limited but positive feedback I also jumped on this dac. So glad I did, my hd800 feed by my gustard h20 are mind bending in a great way. Having owned a oppo ha1 a North Star 192 a antelope zodiac plus and now a holo kte it is my favorite headphone dac. The spring won out for the big living room rig.

Jan 31, 2019 at 8:26 AM Post #1,790 of 4,419
Whitigir. How hard is it to change clock, I am not afraid to take off cover and change a opp amp (plug aand play). But would be very hesitant to take my soldering iron to a PCb. I do not have your level of skill.

Jan 31, 2019 at 8:44 AM Post #1,792 of 4,419
I read somewhere (may be Ric's site) that if I'm not using the USB interface (I have the standard one, not Amanero) it's best to remove the board. Can anyone confirm whether it's worth doing? I have no need for USB.

Jan 31, 2019 at 9:07 AM Post #1,794 of 4,419
From Ric's site "If you are not using the usb input then it will sound better if you either disconnect the power supply from the more expensive board or remove the board all together if you have the cheaper usb board."

Jan 31, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #1,795 of 4,419
Thanks whitigir but that is way above my pay grade! I will just have to make do with as is which is incredible!!! I do run the usb from laptop thru a iso regen which did make a positive impact. I have a singxer 1 but have not tried to put in chain as due to my cave man level computer skills. When u start talking drivers and computer gooblygook I’m instantly confused. It took me while to get my laptop to talk to lks but finally after 100 What’s I got it and am very happy with sound. I envy ur computer and electronic skills

Jan 31, 2019 at 12:18 PM Post #1,796 of 4,419
How much better is a replacement clock over the 82fs jitter of the stock one?

Feb 1, 2019 at 9:00 AM Post #1,798 of 4,419
How much better is a replacement clock over the 82fs jitter of the stock one?

far less than changing to quality interconnect and power cord. I have replaced the original crystek 575 to 575x. the difference is minimal.
some people criticize its light in bass, my lks004 has never been light. its full and rich. if anyone feels light, you better change your cables.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2019 at 5:38 PM Post #1,799 of 4,419
I read somewhere (may be Ric's site) that if I'm not using the USB interface (I have the standard one, not Amanero) it's best to remove the board. Can anyone confirm whether it's worth doing? I have no need for USB.
I just disconnect the power supply leads to the Amanero (BTW, the standard USB is Amanero, the upgraded one just upgrade the clocks on the Amanero). Can't say I can hear the difference, very subtle if any (difficult with no A-B testing). Theoretically, it removes electrical interference noises from the USB. So at least it makes you feel better. To remove the board, you need to take off not just the cover but also the back panel. You may end up wanting to have to do it sometime, so worth working out how to do that.

Feb 1, 2019 at 5:40 PM Post #1,800 of 4,419

Users who are viewing this thread

Back