L.K.S. Audio MH-DA004 Dual ES9038PRO DAC - Van Damme's double impact?
Jan 13, 2019 at 6:48 PM Post #1,771 of 4,419
Let me start by saying that I don't have a solution, but it may help to better understand the LKS setup. I'm using Windows 7 pro with Foobar - maybe someone with Windows 10 can chime in.

Technically, it is the PC seeing the Amanero board. The LKS plays what the USB board sends out. The Amanero board has firmware that can be changed but requires the Amanero board and its power supply to be removed from the LKS to perform a firmware change/reinstall (the top panel and rear panel of the LKS will need to be removed to get to the screws of the Amanero board and power supply). He might try reinstalling the Amanero board firmware. Links to the procedure can be found in this thread.

Post 329 has the firmware procedure:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/l-k...es-double-impact.840938/page-22#post-13762204

Amanero generic firmware procedure & update tool:
https://www.amanero.com/howto.htm

Amanero firmware can be downloaded here:
https://amanero.com/combo384_firmware.htm

Drivers:
https://amanero.com/drivers.htm

Jan 13, 2019 at 7:14 PM Post #1,772 of 4,419
LKS 004 Won't connect to PC with USB

Hey, I Built a custom windows 10pro PC for a guy in Canada, AMD Ryzen 2700X, 16GB ram, Optane M2 OS SSD Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7 MB, windows 10pro, HQPlayer, Roon, Fidelizer pro 8.3. After build I ran this PC in my system with a T+A Dac 8DSD using T+A drivers, upsampling to DSD512 I had zero issues connecting to and playing music with my T+A. I also used the windows WASPI driver to connect via USB to a berkeley Alpha USB to AES or SPDIF converter again no issues connecting. Before shipping the PC to him I removed the T+A drivers and installed directly from Amanero's website the Combo384 Win 10 driver.

Now he gets the PC and connects to LKS004 (brand new w upgraded USB board) and has issues getting PC and dac (USB connection) to see each other. Occasionally the PC and Dac see each other then the connection drops (no music being played). He has tried numerous USB cables and played with DPLL and none work except the LKS supplied cable briefly and only occasionally sees the PC but then the connection drops. With his son's help they have removed the Amanero driver and installed the 64bit driver from MU-sounds web site, no luck there either, same results. So they removed the LKS 64bit drivers and re-installed the Amanero Combo384 drivers.

I asked him to remove the cover of the LKS to check if the power connection to the USB board is solid, he has yet to do so. He emailed Mu-sound but being the weekend has received no reply. I am over 2000 miles away from him so I cannot physically assist. Do any of you have any idea why the Dac is not seeing the PC and is unable to play music? Thanks for any assistance. Never had this issue with the Gustard I owned and those drivers required you to turn off windows driver signature to install.
If I remember correctly, you have to have the LKS004 connected via USB to PC to install the windows 10 driver correctly. That may be why your first attempt did not work. The correct driver is definitely from the Amanero website, the one specially say for Windows 10. After installing, you may have to disconnect the USB cable and then reconnect for the driver to be activated. If that doesn't work, you have to try reflash the LKS004 firmware. Unfortunately reflashing LKS firmware requires removing not just the cover but also the back panel.

Jan 13, 2019 at 7:25 PM Post #1,773 of 4,419
Thanks @Monolithic and @xiamen. Based on what he sees in device manager it definitely appears to be a driver or dac USB card issue. The dac is brand new he just got it right around Xmas, would hate for him to have to flash the firmware, fortunately he is an electrician by trade so that maybe in his skill set. He has uninstalled and then re-installed the drivers several times, I would assume the dac was connected at least once but not sure so I will confirm with him and make sure he does so if he has not already. That seems strange tho as I just updated a friends PC who has the gustard X20 and I reinstalled his singxer su-1 driver before sending back and he had no issue with PC and SU-1 seeing each other.

This guy did order the Gustard u16 and hopefully it arrives next week. Does anyone here use the u16 with the LKS, if so any tips on getting that up and running correctly.

Jan 25, 2019 at 11:17 AM Post #1,778 of 4,419
Mine has arrived today. I hope to be able to get it up and running later tonight.

Jan 26, 2019 at 11:22 AM Post #1,779 of 4,419
The LKS is up and running and sounds magnificent. It's definitely a detail-monster and the amount of ambient information and decay in, for example, cymbals is amazing. Dynamics are also first rate. However, it's not bright or harsh, it just presents the recording as-is. I'm running it on S/PDIF via BNC from Spotify and Qobuz hi-res streams. I2S will come later.

I'll write more when I've gathered my thoughts but first impressions are that this was exactly the DAC I wanted.

Jan 26, 2019 at 1:54 PM Post #1,780 of 4,419
OK, so I got the USB firmware reinstalled on the 004, and now the USB works and is recognised by my laptop using USB>USB connection. But I have a problem!
As soon as I switch to the microrendu 1.4 the LKS 004 USB switches to unlock, and stays that way even if I reboot everything!
The music is playing from my server on WLAN through the router and coming out the speakers on the laptop OK, but the amanero has disappeared from the sound selector?
Both LAN lights are on; on the rendu, but there is no communication to the 004 DAC?
Anyone have experience with this or knowledge/suggestions etc?
The rendu is using the MPD/DLNA app in the device "ACTIVE"!

Thanks in advance!

Jan 27, 2019 at 2:20 PM Post #1,781 of 4,419
OK, so I got the USB firmware reinstalled on the 004, and now the USB works and is recognised by my laptop using USB>USB connection. But I have a problem!
As soon as I switch to the microrendu 1.4 the LKS 004 USB switches to unlock, and stays that way even if I reboot everything!
The music is playing from my server on WLAN through the router and coming out the speakers on the laptop OK, but the amanero has disappeared from the sound selector?
Both LAN lights are on; on the rendu, but there is no communication to the 004 DAC?
Anyone have experience with this or knowledge/suggestions etc?
The rendu is using the MPD/DLNA app in the device "ACTIVE"!

Thanks in advance!

Microrendu is Linux based, check that the firmware you loaded on the Amanero is compatible.
Discussion on the various versions than work with Linux.
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=151737.20

Alternatively contact Amanero directly

Jan 27, 2019 at 2:34 PM Post #1,783 of 4,419
is the amanero compatible with what? (please)
Cheers!
Amanero has several versions of the firmware for the card, some versions have problems with the Linux operating system used by the rendu.

The post attached discusses some of that, either Amanero or Sonore (rendu manfacturer) may be able to give you more info on which are the relevant versions.

You previously re-loaded the firmware for your card on Windows to get it going, find out what version that was and use it as the starting point when talking to either Amanero or Sonore.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2019 at 3:03 PM Post #1,784 of 4,419
Amanero has several versions of the firmware for the card, some versions have problems with the Linux operating system used by the rendu.

The post attached discusses some of that, either Amanero or Sonore (rendu manfacturer) may be able to give you more info on which are the relevant versions.

You previously re-loaded the firmware for your card on Windows to get it going, find out what version that was and use it as the starting point when talking to either Amanero or Sonore.
OK cheers!
the firmware is: CPLD_for_1080 MCLK Pin6 output 22.5792 Mhz / 24.576 Mhz - Prescaler - Firmware 1.096c3w2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back