L.K.S. Audio MH-DA004 Dual ES9038PRO DAC - Van Damme's double impact?
Dec 8, 2018 at 3:50 PM Post #1,696 of 4,419
I misread this! - I thought you meant 2 pins higher up that are not part of the J4 cluster (4 pins). But as you know there are no pins above that J4 cluster of "4 pins". So, you must mean two pins within the J4 cluster, like this:

As a matter of completeness, check the other 2 pins, these are the power supply pins for the CPLD/FPGA, both sides (PSU and USB boards) should read 4.7V

Dec 8, 2018 at 4:20 PM Post #1,697 of 4,419
As a matter of completeness, check the other 2 pins, these are the power supply pins for the CPLD/FPGA, both sides (PSU and USB boards) should read 4.7V
on the top side: pins 1, 2 & 3 have 4.7v.
on the underneath side pins 1 & 3 have 4.7v.
However, I found it hard to get a good contact on those tiny pins (LOL), so I may not be correct!
do you have any idea what I can do now? I bought it new from somewhere in china, but I can't remember where exactly! Don't know if it would have a 3 year warranty? Replacement? Repair?
Looks like I'm stuffed for Xmas music wise! Unless I get a sonore ultradigital to go with the rendu, making it into an i2s device.
many thanks, much appreciated & very grateful.

Dec 8, 2018 at 5:16 PM Post #1,698 of 4,419
on the top side: pins 1, 2 & 3 have 4.7v.
on the underneath side pins 1 & 3 have 4.7v.
However, I found it hard to get a good contact on those tiny pins (LOL), so I may not be correct!
do you have any idea what I can do now? I bought it new from somewhere in china, but I can't remember where exactly! Don't know if it would have a 3 year warranty? Replacement? Repair?
Looks like I'm stuffed for Xmas music wise! Unless I get a sonore ultradigital to go with the rendu, making it into an i2s device.
many thanks, much appreciated & very grateful.

The replacement board is about 160USD, I think it is worthwhile to see if you can get it replaced under warranty.

Sonore Ultradigital is a modified Singxer, in many respects what the SU-1 should have been, taking out the extra interfaces for AES, toslink etc means less overall RF noise.

Just over the horizon is the Singxer SU-6 with the much better CCHD-957 and their homemade crystal oven.
However they added too much fluff like extra I2S outputs, I am waiting to see if they are able to do a better job at keeping RF noise under control, the extra fluff does not help, internal pictures suggest it is XU208 based so no DSD1024

I2S input on the 004 is very sensitive to RF noise, this can make it sound worse than $99 USB "DAC-on-a-stick" devices

DSD1024 support seems to be absent in the Singxer line at the moment

Better designed competitors to the U16 will be appearing, I am waiting for someone to make a U16 like device with galvanic isolation on the I2S output.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2018 at 5:50 PM Post #1,700 of 4,419
The replacement board is about 160USD, I think it is worthwhile to see if you can get it replaced under warranty.

Sonore Ultradigital is a modified Singxer, in many respects what the SU-1 should have been, taking out the extra interfaces for AES, toslink etc means less overall RF noise.

Just over the horizon is the Singxer SU-6 with the much better CCHD-957 and their homemade crystal oven.
However they added too much fluff like extra I2S outputs, I am waiting to see if they are able to do a better job at keeping RF noise under control, the extra fluff does not help, internal pictures suggest it is XU208 based so no DSD1024

I2S input on the 004 is very sensitive to RF noise, this can make it sound worse than $99 USB "DAC-on-a-stick" devices

DSD1024 support seems to be absent in the Singxer line at the moment

Better designed competitors to the U16 will be appearing, I am waiting for someone to make a U16 like device with galvanic isolation on the I2S output.

Plenty to think about here! Many thanks for all your support!

I'll consider the Amanero 'dead' and use your info to help me make the next decision! Got the rendu cheap but now the cost escalates anyway, thus wiping out my bargain buy! Unfortunate turn of events, something to ponder on a sunday afternoon. One door closes and another opens! But now to bed in UK.

Many thanks!

Dec 8, 2018 at 10:34 PM Post #1,701 of 4,419

please can you tell me the 2 probe combinations of the completeness tests?
e.g. pins 1+2, 1+3, 1+4; OR 1+2 & 3+4 etc.
i.e. what are the pin test configurations please?
Just to make sure, for certain!
This has only just occurred to me!

Many thanks!

Dec 9, 2018 at 12:34 AM Post #1,702 of 4,419
please can you tell me the 2 probe combinations of the completeness tests?
e.g. pins 1+2, 1+3, 1+4; OR 1+2 & 3+4 etc.
i.e. what are the pin test configurations please?
Just to make sure, for certain!
This has only just occurred to me!

Many thanks!
On the PSU board, J4 Pins 1 and 4 are connected together as are 2 and 3, there are only 2 options.

Dec 9, 2018 at 9:49 AM Post #1,703 of 4,419
On the PSU board, J4 Pins 1 and 4 are connected together as are 2 and 3, there are only 2 options.
Right:
...on both the amanero board and the PSU board I can now confirm the readings are 4.70v on pins 1/2 & 3/4 respectively. Had a little more patience today to get a proper contact on the pins with the probes, using a gunsons pocket meter 2, VOLTS DC: 0 20V Accuracy + 0.8% + 2 digits Impedance 1 Meg ohm.
https://www.machinemart.co.uk/AspSiteAssets/download_files/G4143_Instructions.pdf
gunsons 2.jpg

...many thanks!

PLEASE NOTE: the NIrsoft test was done with the amanero/PSU outside of the chassis, was that correct?

...are these the latest boards?
DSCN0080.JPG

cheers!

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2018 at 4:00 PM Post #1,704 of 4,419
Right:
...on both the amanero board and the PSU board I can now confirm the readings are 4.70v on pins 1/2 & 3/4 respectively. Had a little more patience today to get a proper contact on the pins with the probes, using a gunsons pocket meter 2, VOLTS DC: 0 20V Accuracy + 0.8% + 2 digits Impedance 1 Meg ohm.
https://www.machinemart.co.uk/AspSiteAssets/download_files/G4143_Instructions.pdf

...many thanks!

PLEASE NOTE: the NIrsoft test was done with the amanero/PSU outside of the chassis, was that correct?

...are these the latest boards?

cheers!

The USB interface can be tested outside of the chassis.

Boards in the picture are the latest ones.

These 2 additional things that you can try.
1)Get an unused USB cable like the one you used to connect to the computer, cut off the computer end plug and strip back the insulation to get to the 4 wires, check that the wire ends have continuity with the pins on the USB socket on the other end. Turn the USB board over, there is a cluster of 4 pins under the USB socket.

2)There are 6 voltage regulators on the board check they are working correctly. These are the little rectangular ICs with 5 pins.
You will have to temporarily solder 4 wires between the PSU board and the USB board to connect both ends of J4.
The spring contacts on the pin sockets can stretch and deform easily, be careful about sticking wires into those.

Pins1 and 3 should be 4.7V, pin 5 should be 3.3V.
regulator pinout.png

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2018 at 6:00 PM Post #1,705 of 4,419
Plenty to think about here! Many thanks for all your support!

I'll consider the Amanero 'dead' and use your info to help me make the next decision! Got the rendu cheap but now the cost escalates anyway, thus wiping out my bargain buy! Unfortunate turn of events, something to ponder on a sunday afternoon. One door closes and another opens! But now to bed in UK.

Many thanks!
Have you tried installing the amanero driver onto your windows pc (not the rendu) and connect it to the lks004 by usb already?

Dec 9, 2018 at 7:08 PM Post #1,706 of 4,419
The USB interface can be tested outside of the chassis.

Boards in the picture are the latest ones.

These 2 additional things that you can try.
1)Get an unused USB cable like the one you used to connect to the computer, cut off the computer end plug and strip back the insulation to get to the 4 wires, check that the wire ends have continuity with the pins on the USB socket on the other end. Turn the USB board over, there is a cluster of 4 pins under the USB socket.

2)There are 6 voltage regulators on the board check they are working correctly. These are the little rectangular ICs with 5 pins.
You will have to temporarily solder 4 wires between the PSU board and the USB board to connect both ends of J4.
The spring contacts on the pin sockets can stretch and deform easily, be careful about sticking wires into those.

Pins1 and 3 should be 4.7V, pin 5 should be 3.3V.

hi,
1) the continuity is good/fine on all four pins.
2) on the diagram, what is: "EN"?
didn't realise there were any spring contacts! ~ thanks for warning.
I'll do the soldering tomorrow, bit late now ('here').

....many thanks for continued support. :)

Dec 9, 2018 at 8:41 PM Post #1,708 of 4,419
yes thanks! - already done that.

cheers!
I assume you have checked voltages from the red/white wires etc. Then I say the problem lies with the Amanero. Your hope will be it's not hardware but firmware corruption. That's known to be the culprit. To "fix" that, just reflash the firmware, could be to the same version. Not a straight forward task. You need to remove the cover and the back panel first. There are instructions in one of Whitgir's earlier post.

Dec 9, 2018 at 8:52 PM Post #1,709 of 4,419
Hello fellow audio enthusiasts,

Please indulge me as I have a few questions.
Does anyone here utilize the volume control on the LKS004 and not a pre-amp? I have my balanced outputs(XLR) plugged directly to a 2 channel amp(Marantz mm7025), which in turn power a pair of Bowers & Wilkins 705 S2's. Secondly each unbalanced RCA is going to an SVS SB-2000 subwoofer, left rca to one sub, right rca to the other sub.
Having bypassed my pre-amp the sound is so much better, its jaw dropping and the L.K.S. handles outputting all four signals beautifully.

Question 1: Should i be running a splitter to each sub's left and right input or just run the single rca cable to the lfe input .
Question 2:Should I be utilizing a crossover and could you point me to a simple one? My subs dont have speaker wire terminals to act as a pass through and im afraid that my B&W's are acting as large speakers, receiving the full signal.

Again it sounds great I'm just always looking to improve.

Thank you for your time.
I would think that depends what pre-amp you are bypassing and comparing to. There are pre-amp out there that costs many times the price of the LKS004. With the lfe, I'm intrigued. I always though red book cd or sacd don't have lfe outputs, just movies. May be you are just directing the low frequencies to the SVS SB-2000 as well to give the bass a boost?

Dec 9, 2018 at 9:17 PM Post #1,710 of 4,419
I assume you have checked voltages from the red/white wires etc. Then I say the problem lies with the Amanero. Your hope will be it's not hardware but firmware corruption. That's known to be the culprit. To "fix" that, just reflash the firmware, could be to the same version. Not a straight forward task. You need to remove the cover and the back panel first. There are instructions in one of Whitgir's earlier post.
"I assume you have checked voltages from the red/white wires etc". ....maybe not? I'm not quite sure of what you mean?
cheers!

PS: could not re-flash! see pic:
firmware update.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back