L.K.S. Audio MH-DA004 Dual ES9038PRO DAC - Van Damme's double impact?
Dec 20, 2018 at 6:31 AM Post #1,726 of 4,419
Can you describe the sound difference Crystec-Abracon more in detail?

Dec 20, 2018 at 12:06 PM Post #1,729 of 4,419
The next upgrade will be sps-500 psu.

Dec 20, 2018 at 10:03 PM Post #1,730 of 4,419
Yeh, clocking up or down stream are both important
Agreed.

SOTM SMS-200 ultra transport feeding SU-1 I2S + LKS 004 with the OCXO master clock is a great combo.
This setup is the first time I have seen positive results converting PCM->DSD .

Ultra version has the sCLK board providing the 3 clocks to the SMS200 board.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2018 at 12:38 PM Post #1,733 of 4,419
It is hard to get Crystek 950X and do you think that this would be ok for the newer 004:
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/abracon-llc/ABLNO-100.000MHZ/535-12347-ND/4240080
?
It is hard to get other parts for upgrading USB and LKS (diodes, caps etc.).
The ABLNO is a more aggressive version of the the 575, much better defined top end, much leaner bottom end.
Some consider the lean bottom end to be a shortcoming, if you like deep bass extension avoid this.

Attached picture is some of the XOs I have tried, have not mentioned them until now as I consider them to be less then ideal.
The picture was from when I experimented on the Yulong DA-8
6774682.jpg

More detailed comments here.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/lks-audio-mh-da003.745032/page-18#post-12666530

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2018 at 4:29 PM Post #1,735 of 4,419
I just bought one of these used. How can you tell if it's the standard USB or upgraded?

Another question is I have a Schiit Eitr already. Will it provide a benefit to run USB to the Eitr and then Eitr to coax on the DA004 versus using USB in? I'm assuming it would reduce jitter but I don't want to add something to the chain that won't provide a noticeable benefit. Or should I sell the Eitr and get something else? I'd consider $200-$500 range if it provides a clearly audible benefit.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2018 at 8:35 PM Post #1,736 of 4,419
Hi, my setup is foobar(usb)->LKS004.
Playing DSF file via foobar ... the channels are reversed (compare to PCM files).
Also tried DSD processor in foobar (i.e. PCM->DSD using foobar),
same result.

Attempt to correct the problem using foobar channel mapping:
foobar gives a table of 16 entries !!!

I tried 1. right 2. left (rest none) to noavail (still reversed !)
I tried MANY other combinations like 1. right 2. right 3. left 4. left (rest none),
thinking that there are two outputs (SE and balanced) per channel.

I am not sure why I got 16 entries ?

Dec 24, 2018 at 9:34 AM Post #1,737 of 4,419
I just bought one of these used. How can you tell if it's the standard USB or upgraded?

Another question is I have a Schiit Eitr already. Will it provide a benefit to run USB to the Eitr and then Eitr to coax on the DA004 versus using USB in? I'm assuming it would reduce jitter but I don't want to add something to the chain that won't provide a noticeable benefit. Or should I sell the Eitr and get something else? I'd consider $200-$500 range if it provides a clearly audible benefit.

The upgrade has two small stacked boards in the corner where the USB connection is. The upper board is the power supply and has a long wire extended to it from one of the transformers for power.

If you have the upgrade, you probably don't need anything else. But since you have the Eitr, why don't you just connect and listen? Otherwise there are many options as from LKS and Singxer. Do a search, first within this thread.

Dec 24, 2018 at 3:20 PM Post #1,739 of 4,419
The upgrade has two small stacked boards in the corner where the USB connection is. The upper board is the power supply and has a long wire extended to it from one of the transformers for power.

If you have the upgrade, you probably don't need anything else. But since you have the Eitr, why don't you just connect and listen? Otherwise there are many options as from LKS and Singxer. Do a search, first within this thread.

Thanks for the info on the upgraded USB.

My initial thought was if I have standard USB then Eitr it should be a benefit whereas if I have upgraded USB maybe not so much? I actually have tried listening with Eitr through Coax and then also just directly into the USB port and the differences seem very subtle even though I believe I have the standard USB, so it made me wonder if I might have the upgraded USB.

Just found someone did a review of a lot of these S/PDIF devices and subjectively ranks the Eitr very high, above Singxer SU-1 and F1 and on par with Mutec MC-3+. I don't know how reliably these types of reviews translate to the LKS though.

http://www.basshead.club/spdif-battle-mutec-singxer-lynx-rednet-et-al/

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2018 at 5:32 AM Post #1,740 of 4,419
Thanks for the info on the upgraded USB.

My initial thought was if I have standard USB then Eitr it should be a benefit whereas if I have upgraded USB maybe not so much? I actually have tried listening with Eitr through Coax and then also just directly into the USB port and the differences seem very subtle even though I believe I have the standard USB, so it made me wonder if I might have the upgraded USB.

Just found someone did a review of a lot of these S/PDIF devices and subjectively ranks the Eitr very high, above Singxer SU-1 and F1 and on par with Mutec MC-3+. I don't know how reliably these types of reviews translate to the LKS though.

http://www.basshead.club/spdif-battle-mutec-singxer-lynx-rednet-et-al/
It seems convoluted to go from usb to spdif then to lks004. It feels more logical to go from usb to i2s directly either via internal amanero or external singxer su-1 etc. Unless you beleive spdif has something over i2s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back