L.K.S. Audio MH-DA004 Dual ES9038PRO DAC - Van Damme's double impact?
Dec 8, 2018 at 9:09 AM Post #1,681 of 4,419
The 2pins above J4 are the power supply pins.

I misread this! - I thought you meant 2 pins higher up that are not part of the J4 cluster (4 pins). But as you know there are no pins above that J4 cluster of "4 pins". So, you must mean two pins within the J4 cluster, like this:

amanero PSU5.jpg

Dec 8, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #1,683 of 4,419
Hello fellow audio enthusiasts,

Please indulge me as I have a few questions.
Does anyone here utilize the volume control on the LKS004 and not a pre-amp? I have my balanced outputs(XLR) plugged directly to a 2 channel amp(Marantz mm7025), which in turn power a pair of Bowers & Wilkins 705 S2's. Secondly each unbalanced RCA is going to an SVS SB-2000 subwoofer, left rca to one sub, right rca to the other sub.
Having bypassed my pre-amp the sound is so much better, its jaw dropping and the L.K.S. handles outputting all four signals beautifully.

Question 1: Should i be running a splitter to each sub's left and right input or just run the single rca cable to the lfe input .
Question 2:Should I be utilizing a crossover and could you point me to a simple one? My subs dont have speaker wire terminals to act as a pass through and im afraid that my B&W's are acting as large speakers, receiving the full signal.

Again it sounds great I'm just always looking to improve.

Thank you for your time.

Dec 8, 2018 at 1:55 PM Post #1,687 of 4,419
hi,
it measures 4.70 on the top and underneath (PSU top/USB bottom-underneath) removed from chassis.
Now what?
many thanks!
That is borderline and may cause unreliable operation

Switch the multimeter to the AC range and measure, the AC voltage between the points of J1.
I expect it to be at least 7V AC

10209356.jpg

With the board outside of the DAC, it might to useful to double check by plugging the USB interface into the computer.
The link below is a windows USB viewer utility from NirSoft.
Take the listing before and after you plug in the board, the Amanero USB board will show up on the list if it is working.

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html
64bit version: https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usbdeview-x64.zip

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2018 at 2:19 PM Post #1,688 of 4,419
That is borderline and may cause unreliable operation

Switch the multimeter to the AC range and measure, the AC voltage between the points of J1.
I expect it to be at least 7V AC

10209356.jpg

With the board outside of the DAC, it might to useful to double check by plugging the USB interface into the computer.
The link below is a windows USB viewer utility from NirSoft.
Take the listing before and after you plug in the board, the Amanero USB board will show up on the list if it is working.

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html
64bit version: https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usbdeview-x64.zip

hi,
the AC reading is 7.4v. don't forget the DC measurement could have DMM inaccuracy.
do you mean me to use the USB board on its own or still plugged into the PSU board please?

many thanks!

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2018 at 3:21 PM Post #1,692 of 4,419
Amanero's Vendor ID is 16d0.

Is the USB interface plugged into the PC and the red led on the PSU board glowing ?

what I did was: plugged one end of a usb cable into the laptop, then plugged the other end into the amanero usb board. The 4 pins between the boards were pressed firmly together and the PSU board's light was glowing red. I hope that is what you meant?
That vendor ID is not on the list as you can see. I did refresh a few times as well and tried with different usb cables also.
Many Thanks!

Dec 8, 2018 at 3:26 PM Post #1,693 of 4,419
what I did was: plugged one end of a usb cable into the laptop, then plugged the other end into the amanero usb board. The 4 pins between the boards were pressed firmly together and the PSU board's light was glowing red. I hope that is what you meant?
That vendor ID is not on the list as you can see. I did refresh a few times as well and tried with different usb cables also.
Many Thanks!
Is the the first time you used the USB interface?

The USB board is likely faulty as the USB root hub on the PC is not detecting it.

Dec 8, 2018 at 3:37 PM Post #1,694 of 4,419
Is the the first time you used the USB interface?

The USB board is likely faulty as the USB root hub on the PC is not detecting it.
Hi,
yes this is the first time I have tried it on the USB. I've been using coax and i2s up to now, for over a year! But I got a rendu cheap which is USB, just to compare to my DIY HTPC.
BTW: the behaviour of that output isn't the same as the others! i.e. the usb stays LOCKED all the time, whereas the others unlock when they are unplugged; is that normal?
Many thanks again, looks like you have helped me to unearth a fault!

Dec 8, 2018 at 3:44 PM Post #1,695 of 4,419
Hi,
yes this is the first time I have tried it on the USB. I've been using coax and i2s up to now, for over a year! But I got a rendu cheap which is USB, just to compare to my DIY HTPC.
BTW: the behaviour of that output isn't the same as the others! i.e. the usb stays LOCKED all the time, whereas the others unlock when they are unplugged; is that normal?
Many thanks again, looks like you have helped me to unearth a fault!

The USB interface reports unlocked if it is working correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back