KSC75
May 3, 2010 at 9:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

SirJulius

New Head-Fier
So I just got these in the mail today and when I first put them on I honestly couldn't tell the difference between those and cheap in ear headphones sound wise. I just returned some Senheiser HD201's, and I felt like that had SO much more bass and clarity. Infact, all over ear/on ear headphones I've tried sound better than these.

Would a long burn-in period make all that difference? I was expecting something amazing (I've only owned $30 and under headphones) and with the praise I see around the boards I thought these would be the best I've owned; but I must say I'm disappointed. It feels like they're all highs with muffled bass and mids. Am I the only one that feels the same way? Am I just missing the greatness that everyone hears?

May 3, 2010 at 10:07 PM Post #2 of 13
I'm new here, but I wonder where you bought them from (could they be fake?)
Also, what amp/source are you using them with (Not that I know a good amp/source from a bad one!)

May 3, 2010 at 10:10 PM Post #3 of 13
Well from all comparison test I've done I've used my mp3 player and my laptop as a source. I bought them off of amazon.com (as amazon being the actual seller, not a third party) so I'm hoping they're legit.

May 3, 2010 at 10:20 PM Post #4 of 13
All this is relative praise. I've tried the HD201s, albeit amped, and they (obviously) sounded better. But I got the KSC75s when they were $5 at ratshack, so they were the best value anywhere remotely close to that price. Especially with quarter modded pads and Kramer modded. I suggest you try those two mods before completely dismissing them. They really helped open them up. Again, everything said here should be taken with a grain of salt. We all have different preferences in sound.

BTW, what mp3 player?

May 3, 2010 at 10:41 PM Post #5 of 13
I actually use my phone as an mp3 player when I test in stores. But since I got these I've been using my computer's stock sound card to listen to them. I don't hate them though, I guess I just expected so much out of them. Right now I'm letting them burn in, and I plan to use to them to when I work out or in public areas (I can never do closed headphones in open areas, I get paranoid that someone would run up behind me with a chainsaw).

May 3, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatmarley /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most laptop DACs are not very good (Mines rubbish) That could be the problem.

Not at this level. Well to affect the sound more than a little.

And I still suggest to do the mods I said. They're both free mods.

Dec 4, 2010 at 9:07 AM Post #8 of 13
I think the newer KSC75 isn't as good as the older ones. I bought a newer pair this year with a slightly different cable and it just isn't quite as good a my older pair which I bough around 2007.

Dec 4, 2010 at 2:56 PM Post #9 of 13

Quote:
I think the newer KSC75 isn't as good as the older ones. I bought a newer pair this year with a slightly different cable and it just isn't quite as good a my older pair which I bough around 2007.

Quote:
So I just got these in the mail today and when I first put them on I honestly couldn't tell the difference between those and cheap in ear headphones sound wise. I just returned some Senheiser HD201's, and I felt like that had SO much more bass and clarity. Infact, all over ear/on ear headphones I've tried sound better than these.

Would a long burn-in period make all that difference? I was expecting something amazing (I've only owned $30 and under headphones) and with the praise I see around the boards I thought these would be the best I've owned; but I must say I'm disappointed. It feels like they're all highs with muffled bass and mids. Am I the only one that feels the same way? Am I just missing the greatness that everyone hears?

Did you guys notice vocal/bass distortions with your KSC75s on bass-heavy songs? I've had 3 pairs of new KSC75s pass me and they all have this problem.

Dec 4, 2010 at 3:01 PM Post #10 of 13

Quote:

Does the newer KSC75 also come with a straight plug? My newer Portapro's cable is thinner than the older ones and have a straight mini plug instead of the L plug.

Dec 4, 2010 at 3:06 PM Post #11 of 13

Quote:
Quote:

Does the newer KSC75 also come with a straight plug? My newer Portapro's cable is thinner than the older ones and have a straight mini plug instead of the L plug.

It does. That and it has some serious driver problems (at least the ones I've had).

Dec 5, 2010 at 6:55 AM Post #12 of 13

Quote:
Quote:

Yes the one with the new straight plug.

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Did you guys notice vocal/bass distortions with your KSC75s on bass-heavy songs? I've had 3 pairs of new KSC75s pass me and they all have this problem.

Yes the low end is definitely not as clear. Its muddy. The highs seem not quite as "3D". I've burnt them in for nearly 100hrs and they're still not as good as the older pairs from 2006-07.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back