Ksc75
May 3, 2010 at 9:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

SirJulius

New Head-Fier
So I just got these in the mail today and when I first put them on I honestly couldn't tell the difference between those and cheap in ear headphones sound wise. I just returned some Senheiser HD201's, and I felt like that had SO much more bass and clarity. Infact, all over ear/on ear headphones I've tried sound better than these.

Would a long burn-in period make all that difference? I was expecting something amazing (I've only owned $30 and under headphones) and with the praise I see around the boards I thought these would be the best I've owned; but I must say I'm disappointed. It feels like they're all highs with muffled bass and mids. Am I the only one that feels the same way? Am I just missing the greatness that everyone hears?

May 3, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #2 of 12
I have a very old pair with probably 1000hrs on them... they sound completely different that a brand new pair I just bought to replace the old ones. I let the new ones play non-stop for about a week and they are MUCH closer to my oldies...

May 3, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #3 of 12
Wow, I like the HD201s, but they are absolutely muddy compared to the KSC75. No comparison. o_O

May 3, 2010 at 10:53 PM Post #4 of 12
Their bass is rather muddy and slow, but has good punch considering they're tiny and open. The highs sound a little sharp and lack sparkle but I wouldn't call them overpowering. Their midrange is their strong suit in my opinion. Besides the lack of detail that's expected for the price, the midrange has no flaws like the rest of the spectrum.

I also don't see the magic that others do. I still find them the best value in headphones, and I like them more than my old $25 Senn eH-150. I'll be getting rid of them once I get good in-ears, because they only find use in my noobie portable rig.

More bass does not mean good. The KSC75 has a good amount (volume) of bass. If you mean the HD201 goes deeper, then it probably does because bass is a strong suit of closed headphones at this price range. Give them a chance and they'll grow on you. Once you grow out of your desire for big bass, the strengths of the KSC75 will reveal themselves.

May 3, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #5 of 12
I also received KSC75 today.
I am absolutely stunned by the massive soundstage. I am used to closed headphones and these are my first open. Midrange is so good that it works very well on electronic music. Hihats and claps are wide with excellent snap and punch. Bass doesn't feel overpowering, I have very strong 3 channel amplifiers that give excellent control to drivers, that tames the bass. I would describe KSC75 sound digital like it is advertised. Highs are a bit metallic and bass is tight, but that will resolve during burn-in. I am so pleased that I put aside my Sennheiser HD 438 and Philips SHP2500.

May 3, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spacehead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am absolutely stunned by the massive soundstage. I am used to closed headphones and these are my first open. Midrange is so good that it works very well on electronic music. Hihats and claps are wide with excellent snap and punch. Bass doesn't feel overpowering, I have very strong 3 channel amplifiers that give excellent control to drivers, that tames the bass. I would describe KSC75 sound digital like it is advertised. Highs are a bit metallic and bass is tight, but that will resolve during burn-in. I am so pleased that I put aside my Sennheiser HD 438 and Philips SHP2500.

You need to listen to some more open headphones if you think the KSC75 has a monstrous soundstage. I find it on-par with my SR60i, smaller than my HF2, and lacks the imaging of both. And Grados are not legendary for their soundstages.

The KSC75 soundstage is more along the line of two blobs sitting on the ears, instruments in the blobs rather than around the head or out in the distance. Probably comes from both their very close proximity to the ear and the small size of the driver and enclosure.

May 3, 2010 at 11:12 PM Post #7 of 12
I disagree. The KSC75 has a VERY NICE soundstage for the price. They aren't small nor huge, but they do have a very good depth to them. They are also pretty good for gaming, when paired with Dolby Headphone. They have exceptional positioning, and clarity for such a low price. I can't even begin to compare the HD201 to the KSC75.

May 3, 2010 at 11:45 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head Injury /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You need to listen to some more open headphones if you think the KSC75 has a monstrous soundstage. I find it on-par with my SR60i, smaller than my HF2, and lacks the imaging of both. And Grados are not legendary for their soundstages.

The KSC75 soundstage is more along the line of two blobs sitting on the ears, instruments in the blobs rather than around the head or out in the distance. Probably comes from both their very close proximity to the ear and the small size of the driver and enclosure.

I would like to buy headphones that would have the same sound signature, but much better imaging. Any recommendations? I have thought about entry level Grados (SR60/SR80) but I have read that they are uncomfortable. I want that sparkle too. Sennheiser HD 438 have about everything right, but they just don't sound safe for me, they are so intimidating

May 13, 2010 at 5:11 AM Post #9 of 12

Quote:

It's funny... I just read this again after a while, and I noticed the other headphones you posted. I too own a SHP2500 (bought them like 4 years ago, long before I actually cared about the quality of the music) and I was thinking about buying the HD 438. Now I'm not too sure though, after reading what you said because I'm not so impressed with the KSC75.

May 21, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #10 of 12
bought myself a pair of koss ksc-75's about a year ago after hearing some pmx-100's and was looking for somthing in that quality range. put simply, compaired to the sennheisers, the ksc is absolute crap. granted they do have a smooth midrange and the heighs are detailed, but it just struggles in the base while the pmx's run rings around it in pretty much all aspects. a bit nitpicky but you CANNOT clean the diaphram. they superglued a steel plate over it with small holes so hair can get in but not out. just steer clear of them.

May 22, 2010 at 5:20 AM Post #11 of 12

Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head Injury /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I would like to buy headphones that would have the same sound signature, but much better imaging. Any recommendations? I have thought about entry level Grados (SR60/SR80) but I have read that they are uncomfortable. I want that sparkle too. Sennheiser HD 438 have about everything right, but they just don't sound safe for me, they are so intimidating

Yeah, you'd be looking at SR60/80 or Alessandro MS-1. They aren't necessarily uncomfortable, YMMV

Oct 27, 2010 at 4:52 PM Post #12 of 12

Quote:
bought myself a pair of koss ksc-75's about a year ago after hearing some pmx-100's and was looking for somthing in that quality range. put simply, compaired to the sennheisers, the ksc is absolute crap. granted they do have a smooth midrange and the heighs are detailed, but it just struggles in the base while the pmx's run rings around it in pretty much all aspects. a bit nitpicky but you CANNOT clean the diaphram. they superglued a steel plate over it with small holes so hair can get in but not out. just steer clear of them.

I disagree with this. It doesnt struggle with the bass. a lot of the issues with bass to people here are really due to incorrect fit on the ears. case in point, try pinning them  tighter aginst your ears and you will hear the bass. this is the main reason why some people modded theirs using headbands to tighten the fit a bit.

in fact, if you have a strong player, and you've adjusted the earclips tohave less space between your ears and the foam, you'd hear really good, tight, and clear bass. plus you get the trademark warm sound koss is known for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back