ksc75 is a giant killer part 2
Jul 10, 2005 at 4:01 AM Post #31 of 99
I have my eye on an OLP John Petrucci model... it played wonderfully for $350. Just need to find a decent small amp... maybe a Roland Cube.

Jul 10, 2005 at 5:32 AM Post #32 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by appar111
I have my eye on an OLP John Petrucci model... it played wonderfully for $350. Just need to find a decent small amp... maybe a Roland Cube.

I'm not a huge fan of amp modeling, but have you tried the Line6 POD? Awesome, as you can use your headphone setup now
k1000smile.gif
and later incorporate it into a guitar amp setup as a signal/effects processor.

On another note about the KSC 75's. Are the earpiece metal shafts that go into the piece that holds the actual driver supposed to rotate a little? I think I may have worked it a little loose when adjusting the earpiece. Not a problem as of yet (just bent the earpiece in a little more).

Jul 10, 2005 at 6:46 AM Post #33 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Pssst.... bend the earclip for a tight fit and mod them to bring out the details, increase clarity, and re-distribute the spectrum for a less bass heavy signature. IMHO you havent fully heard this little driver till you mod them. Not quite giant killers, but IMHO theyre not that far off in many ways. Modded, the treble sparkle is remarkable.
IMHO of course.
Garrett

yup, i've already done it! much better bass and mids but i'm looking forward to hearing how it sounds after burn in.

Jul 10, 2005 at 7:58 AM Post #35 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blooze
I'm not a huge fan of amp modeling, but have you tried the Line6 POD? Awesome, as you can use your headphone setup now
k1000smile.gif
and later incorporate it into a guitar amp setup as a signal/effects processor.

Like my POD. Sounds stellar with my MS2, I love the high gain marshall models, as well as the AC30. IMHO the morley JD10 is also a great simulator, but doesnt have the modulation/delay effects of the digital Line6 stuff.

I used it with my little marshall MG15... It was my main rehersal rig for a while while my drummer was using a roland digital kit through a small roland keyboard amp. I got tired of lugging my carvin tube amp around, only to use a small fraction of its output.

Garrett

Jul 10, 2005 at 12:23 PM Post #36 of 99
Any idea how do KSC75 compare to AKG K24p? I've recently "migrated" to K24p from Sennheiser PX100, and enjoy it VERY MUCH with my iAudio U2 (unamped of course).

Jul 10, 2005 at 12:31 PM Post #37 of 99
i've had two sets of the KSC-75's. the first pair snapped without much effort. they were also super uncomfortable, so i bought a second set because i liked the sound and thought they'd break in a little bit. i gave the second pair a few months of portable use, and ended up disliking them. they hurt my head! the pressure above the ears is insane, at least the way my head is shaped. isn't the entire body of the can plastic? if so, how can you really bend it, and have it memorize the new position?
These cans are also horrible for sleeping. you cannot sleep on your side, obviously. however, you can't sleep on your back either, because the small behind-the-ears strap will dig into the small of your neck, or dig into wherever you place them. every one i've had try out these cans loved the sound, but hated the comfort. maybe with mods it can be done, but out of the box i find them unusable. also - they leak way too much sound, definately not library friendly. i think canalphones are definately worth the investment compared to these. definately not giant killers ... think about what you're comparing them against! they may be good for twenty bucks, but they don't stand up to any headphone more expensive than the SR-80's, which are far from giants anyway.

Jul 10, 2005 at 3:39 PM Post #38 of 99
Sounds like you're a canalphone person having mentioned sleeping and sound leakage.

Are you sure you're not talking about the KSC35 though? The 35 is all plastic and the bows can snap. The 75 uses a metal bow coated in rubber. You can adjust that quite a bit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by akio
i've had two sets of the KSC-75's. the first pair snapped without much effort. they were also super uncomfortable, so i bought a second set because i liked the sound and thought they'd break in a little bit. i gave the second pair a few months of portable use, and ended up disliking them. they hurt my head! the pressure above the ears is insane, at least the way my head is shaped. isn't the entire body of the can plastic? if so, how can you really bend it, and have it memorize the new position?
These cans are also horrible for sleeping. you cannot sleep on your side, obviously. however, you can't sleep on your back either, because the small behind-the-ears strap will dig into the small of your neck, or dig into wherever you place them. every one i've had try out these cans loved the sound, but hated the comfort. maybe with mods it can be done, but out of the box i find them unusable. also - they leak way too much sound, definately not library friendly. i think canalphones are definately worth the investment compared to these. definately not giant killers ... think about what you're comparing them against! they may be good for twenty bucks, but they don't stand up to any headphone more expensive than the SR-80's, which are far from giants anyway.

Jul 10, 2005 at 3:42 PM Post #39 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Like my POD. Sounds stellar with my MS2, I love the high gain marshall models, as well as the AC30. IMHO the morley JD10 is also a great simulator, but doesnt have the modulation/delay effects of the digital Line6 stuff.

Some of these simulators are pretty neat! My friend was recording a band in his studio and the guitarist's amp died. So they plugged his guitar in directly and my friend used the Amplitube plugin for ProTools and created a good simulated amp sound that the guitarist ended up liking more.

The same band recorded with him again, and this time the guitarist just left his amp at home.

Jul 11, 2005 at 12:36 AM Post #40 of 99
I needed something to play with while I save for a new home setup so I went to circuit city and bought some KSC-75's. Best sub $50 phones I've heard. Nicely detailed for the price. The bass is quite impactful. They really groove. So far electronica sounds the best, it's sweet and clear. Rock tends to be a little muddy and uneven so far. I've owned the gamut of cheap clip-ons and for what it's worth these are the most comfortable/positionable of that type to me.

Jul 11, 2005 at 4:28 AM Post #41 of 99
i've been listening to these for a few hours today and they keep getting better and better. i decided not to burn them in and just listen to them as the burn in proceeds. at first, they sounded a bit thin in the low end and was a little boring to me but after about one or two hours, they really started to sound more coherent. bass started to tighten up and mids and highs started to open up too and in fact, i can hear some of the sparkle that kramer is speaking of. i don't remember the highs being this clear on the ksc35 and it really makes vocals sound so good. i'm going to limit myself to this set of cans this week and see how much more they improve.

Jul 11, 2005 at 8:05 AM Post #42 of 99
These phones sound to good to be true. I gota go and get myself a pair and see what all this raving's about.

Jul 11, 2005 at 1:19 PM Post #43 of 99
Why i describe the ksc 75 is a giant killer is because its sound very enjoyable and sufficient clarity for portable. It is the headphone which we hope to obtain during our pre head fi days when we were unknown of higher grade headphones or skeptical of spending that much for headphones. It has no glaring weakness that all sort of music sounds right with these headphones. Its not as dark as senn nor as bright as grado.

Despite owning higher grade headphones, ksc75 still shines. Its for $20 and it rules , much better than hd201, mx500 , has the edge over px100, hd497.

It doesn't sound as thin as etymotics nor as muddy as shure e2c.

However all these are imho ,i don't expect it to be the fotm. Those who don't own a ksc75 , give it a try , buy them for your self or as presents for your family or friends

Jul 11, 2005 at 11:46 PM Post #44 of 99
Just got these today at Circuit City (last pair) and they sound great. Not good when riding on my motor bike but just walking around, they are excellent. Oddly enough, the soft flex sleeves for my E2c's arrived today also and I tested them as well. The soft flex sleeves definately rock and should be included in the package. Much better than the foamies or the regular flex sleeves. Now, I'm gonna go ride my bike and test the isolation factor. I was going to return the E2c if the new sleeves didn't work well but I might keep them depending on how it goes on the bike.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back