ksc75 is a giant killer part 2
Jul 8, 2005 at 8:39 PM Post #16 of 99
The portapro 2's sound exactly like the ksc75. If I'm not mistaken, they use the exact same driver. The difference being the headband vs ear clips. I own both and prefer the portapro 2 due to the headband. The adjustable clips drove me crazy (constantly trying to find a "better fit").

Jul 8, 2005 at 8:58 PM Post #17 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by rreynol
The portapro 2's sound exactly like the ksc75. If I'm not mistaken, they use the exact same driver. The difference being the headband vs ear clips. I own both and prefer the portapro 2 due to the headband. The adjustable clips drove me crazy (constantly trying to find a "better fit").

Don't the portapro2 cost twice as much though?
confused.gif

Jul 8, 2005 at 10:32 PM Post #18 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blooze
Hentai - how do they compare with the KSC 50's?

I have both. KSC50 fits MUCH looser, so its a broader soundstage, less focused and theres slightly less bass. The 75 can be bent for custom fit. If you want a looser more open, KSC50 like sound, bend the earclips for a looser fit. If you want more bass and midrange projection, bend for a tighter fit.

Identical titaium drivers inside, it comes down to how they fit on your ears.

Garrett

Jul 8, 2005 at 11:04 PM Post #19 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
I have both. KSC50 fits MUCH looser, so its a broader soundstage, less focused and theres slightly less bass. The 75 can be bent for custom fit. If you want a looser more open, KSC50 like sound, bend the earclips for a looser fit. If you want more bass and midrange projection, bend for a tighter fit.

Identical titaium drivers inside, it comes down to how they fit on your ears.

Garrett

Thanks Much!

Jul 9, 2005 at 7:41 PM Post #20 of 99
With all this KSC-75 love going around, I pulled my pair out (been using SR60's lately), and hooked them up to my iPod mini. No amp, just the simplest of setups. I hit "shuffle songs" and have been listening for a couple hours and every style of music - whether it's funk, metal, rock, r&b, or anything in between (bjork, prince), and all of it sounds better straight out of the iPod mini's headphone jack that it does amped with a Porta Corda II through SR60's, DT770-80's or HD580's. The best balance of nice warm bass, detailed, but with enough high end and mids. I can hear just as much detail as I can with my other cans when they are amped.

To my ears, it's just the perfect fit. I think it's funny that I've got $500-600 worth of headphones and a nice portable amp, and what sounds best is a $15 pair of headphones. There's something about it all that really scares me. All this headphone and amp owning, and I always come back to the same family of Koss drivers for the sound that is the best for my ears.

I've really been wanting to get back into another hobby of mine (guitar playing) and have been financially strapped from doing so. To think I could get a decent guitar and amp, AND still have a headphone setup that sounds excellent to me (and not just "good", but the best combination out of the stuff I own), it's very tempting to ditch it all and just start playing again..

Jul 9, 2005 at 9:21 PM Post #21 of 99
Assuming the KSC-35 is similar to the KSC-75, these are absolutely marvelous headphones for the price asked. Comfortable and good sound. For instance, while the Sennheiser HD 25-1 prevails in some areas (at a multifold of the Koss's price), the Koss sounds more effortless and more open, which suits really suits classical music. Listening to Hilary Hahn's Bach violin concerto, the KSC-35 is definately ahead of the HD 25-1 or Shure E3.

No head-fier should be without them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 9, 2005 at 9:25 PM Post #23 of 99
I also bought the Koss KSC-75 recently and they definetly sound great for their price. The only concern I have is how do you adjust them accordingly so they don't slide off your ears while lying down or moving around alot?? Other than this, I enjoy listening to them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 9, 2005 at 9:57 PM Post #24 of 99
I bent the bows in so they're tighter to the driver. I tightend the square angle at the top of the bow, where the metal is exposed. Next I twisted the bows so the drivers a little forward of my ear canal. I then tightened the arc of the bows. I'd try them on after each bend until I got a snug yet comfy fit for my ears.

Jul 9, 2005 at 10:45 PM Post #26 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by appar111
With all this KSC-75 love going around, I pulled my pair out (been using SR60's lately), and hooked them up to my iPod mini. No amp, just the simplest of setups. I hit "shuffle songs" and have been listening for a couple hours and every style of music - whether it's funk, metal, rock, r&b, or anything in between (bjork, prince), and all of it sounds better straight out of the iPod mini's headphone jack that it does amped with a Porta Corda II through SR60's, DT770-80's or HD580's. The best balance of nice warm bass, detailed, but with enough high end and mids. I can hear just as much detail as I can with my other cans when they are amped.

To my ears, it's just the perfect fit. I think it's funny that I've got $500-600 worth of headphones and a nice portable amp, and what sounds best is a $15 pair of headphones. There's something about it all that really scares me. All this headphone and amp owning, and I always come back to the same family of Koss drivers for the sound that is the best for my ears.

I've really been wanting to get back into another hobby of mine (guitar playing) and have been financially strapped from doing so. To think I could get a decent guitar and amp, AND still have a headphone setup that sounds excellent to me (and not just "good", but the best combination out of the stuff I own), it's very tempting to ditch it all and just start playing again..

Sell it, man! Your wallet and other hobbies will love you for it. Especially if you are good at guitar.
icon10.gif

Jul 9, 2005 at 10:54 PM Post #27 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by YamiTenshi
Don't the portapro2 cost twice as much though?
confused.gif

Not exactly. KSC-75's cost me 20 shipped (couldnt find them locally) and the Portapro2's were 29.99. It doesnt matter how cheap they are if you cant enjoy the sound because you're constantly messing with the clips.

Jul 10, 2005 at 12:50 AM Post #28 of 99
thanks to you guys and this thread, i just picked up a pair from circuit city out of curiosity.
icon10.gif
overall, they sound pretty darn good from my gilmore lite and are really comfortable but i still prefer the sound of the ksc35 even though they're less comfortable. out of the box, they fit really loosely on my ears and thus i noticed a loss of bass but if i pushed them too close to my ears, the bass gets a bit boomy. i'll have to find a middle position where the bass will be to my liking.

as far as them being giant killers, i don't know if i'd go that far since they don't resolve details as well as even the ksc35, which i think also has tighter and more extended bass but for $20, they're a great set of cans. in fact, they'd be perfect for someone starting in head-fi. i think i'll be keeping these to kick around.

Jul 10, 2005 at 3:24 AM Post #29 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by fureshi
thanks to you guys and this thread, i just picked up a pair from circuit city out of curiosity.
icon10.gif
overall, they sound pretty darn good from my gilmore lite and are really comfortable but i still prefer the sound of the ksc35 even though they're less comfortable. out of the box, they fit really loosely on my ears and thus i noticed a loss of bass but if i pushed them too close to my ears, the bass gets a bit boomy. i'll have to find a middle position where the bass will be to my liking.

as far as them being giant killers, i don't know if i'd go that far since they don't resolve details as well as even the ksc35, which i think also has tighter and more extended bass but for $20, they're a great set of cans. in fact, they'd be perfect for someone starting in head-fi. i think i'll be keeping these to kick around.

Pssst.... bend the earclip for a tight fit and mod them to bring out the details, increase clarity, and re-distribute the spectrum for a less bass heavy signature. IMHO you havent fully heard this little driver till you mod them. Not quite giant killers, but IMHO theyre not that far off in many ways. Modded, the treble sparkle is remarkable.
IMHO of course.
Garrett

Jul 10, 2005 at 3:29 AM Post #30 of 99
I too picked up a set from Circuit City today (only place in town that carried them). I only have a discman and a CMOY at this point, but they sound pretty darn good! Better through the CMOY definitely. It's going to take some work to get the fit adjusted right. I'm glad I got them for my upcoming trip so I don't have to take my AKG's.

appar111 - I used to play guitar, too, in a band with my brother. Haven't picked my axe up in a couple of months, but I've managed to keep most of my equipment (Les Paul Custom, 5150 combo, Vibrochamp, etc....) and refuse to get rid of it to finance another hobby. Sometimes it's better to make the music than listen to it!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back