KSC35 vs KSC75
Feb 20, 2006 at 1:35 PM Post #16 of 34
they are cheap, they have super high price to performance ratio, they come with lifetime warranty (althought buying a pair would be probably cheaper than sending it back to koss). we aint hyping this up, i think the px100 was more overhyped than this back then. the ksc75 deserves the attention. I'm gonna start recommending every new comer to get a pair for kicks.

Feb 20, 2006 at 1:43 PM Post #17 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by afbug
I had none.
frown.gif
How i wish i can be crazy.
tongue.gif

ha ha ha........

where to get it free !!
I want more than dozen

if I wish to get free
am I crazy??

eggosmile.gif

Feb 20, 2006 at 1:48 PM Post #18 of 34
TenaciousO may be right regarding the "mob effect" of lust for the KSC75.

I agree that cans like the Grado 60 and Senn 280 are better.

However, can you tell me what other audio device(s) have the bang for the buck of the KSC 35/75? Most feel the Grado 60's knock on the door of high end, but the are still 4-5 times the price of the KSC 75's.

Feb 20, 2006 at 1:52 PM Post #19 of 34
They do deserve the attention because they are probably the best headphones one can get for under $50 while only costing $20. I just think that some of these comments concerning the sound quality of the ksc35/75, like "these offer 99.999% the sound quality of my orpheus" or "you'd have to spend $10k to better the sound quality of the ksc35/75" (exaggerated for effect), are a bit too much. I'm not saying that the ksc75s aren't worth it. It's great because it's cheap, portable, and sounds good. I'm just saying that some of the comments made about its sound quality are a bit misleading. But hey, I guess they are concerned about their wallets.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kin0kin
they are cheap, they have super high price to performance ratio, they come with lifetime warranty (althought buying a pair would be probably cheaper than sending it back to koss). we aint hyping this up, i think the px100 was more overhyped than this back then. the ksc75 deserves the attention. I'm gonna start recommending every new comer to get a pair for kicks.

Feb 20, 2006 at 1:53 PM Post #20 of 34
The SR60 beat a lot of headphones in the 0 - $150 range. They are excellent, but hardly portable. It is like comparing apples with oranges.

Feb 20, 2006 at 2:02 PM Post #21 of 34
indeed, but there's only 1 post with such exeggeration
biggrin.gif

the px100 was even more exegerrated, "these sound too good and should be banned from street" ....man i think the ksc75 should then be forsaken from earth, only aliens use them. *cough* exegerration *cough*
tongue.gif

Feb 20, 2006 at 2:30 PM Post #22 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJGeorgeT
The SR60 beat a lot of headphones in the 0 - $150 range. They are excellent, but hardly portable. It is like comparing apples with oranges.

Perhaps I'm being obtuse, but you guys are missing my point. I am not making an argument against the value of the ksc75. Just the opposite, I wholeheartedly agree that the ksc75 is an excellent bargain headphone, and I understand the ethusiasm that it engenders. I am only responding to some statements comparing the sound quality, and just that single aspect, of the ksc35/75 with other higher priced headphones. For instance, I don't know how one can state with a straight face that the hd650 driven by a decent amp offers only a 15% improvement over an an-amped ksc35/75. From my own past experience, a hd580 driven by only a go-vibe was head and shoulders above both an amped and un-amped ksc75.

I just realized that I haven't responded at all to the original question. When I first bought the ksc75, my first impression was that it didn't sound quite as good as the ksc35, but I had been without the ksc35 for a while by that time so it might have just been a false memory. In any event, even if there is a difference, I'm confident that the difference is so minor that it should be a nonfactor, and your decision should depend on some other considerations. The ksc75 definitely has better construction, and it should last longer than the ksc35. The ksc35 is built cheaply, and either a clip will break off or a driver will blow out in due time (both happened to my pair). The advantage of this cheap construction is that the ksc35 is lighter and thus may prove to be more comfortable for long listening sessions, although I must say that I never once found the ksc75 uncomfortable. The ksc35 is also better for listening while lying down because the ksc75 has a tendency to lift off the ears due to its weight. Hope this helps.

Feb 20, 2006 at 3:19 PM Post #23 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by TenaciousO
Good gosh, some of these statements are plain ridiculous! The ksc35/75 are definitely really nice bargain headphones, but you have to have tin ears if you can't hear a substantial difference b/n the ksc35/75 and even a Grado sr60. At less than $100, there are a handful of headphones that are much better, including the sr60, hd485, eh350, dt231, k240s, hd280, ms1, and more. Again, the ksc35/75 are great bargain headphones, but let's be reasonable.

I disagree with you, ksc-35 is competitive vs. any of those phones (until you are getting into $$$ amps and sources). Vs. sr60 its a tradeoff between better highs (grado) and more bass (ksc). Senn 280 sound just plain honky while ksc35 has a natural sounding midrange so I would take the ksc35's any day of the week.

Biggie.

Feb 20, 2006 at 3:47 PM Post #24 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ
I disagree with you, ksc-35 is competitive vs. any of those phones (until you are getting into $$$ amps and sources). Vs. sr60 its a tradeoff between better highs (grado) and more bass (ksc). Senn 280 sound just plain honky while ksc35 has a natural sounding midrange so I would take the ksc35's any day of the week.

Biggie.

Okie dokie.
rolleyes.gif

Feb 20, 2006 at 4:36 PM Post #25 of 34
Remember, these are all just opinions. There is no "fact" when it comes to how we perceive something as subjective as sound. And it varies widely based on equipment and music type. I, for instance, listen to my KSC35/75 primarily at home, through an amp and with a 75ohm adapter. At that point, these are no longer $15 headphones. To my ear, with my setup, I prefer the KSC's to my DT231's (modded and unmodded) and my SR80's (I have every type of pads except Beyers). However, when I want to listen more critically, I will reach for my HD590's or DT831's, which are both clearly better (at least to me
wink.gif
).

Feb 20, 2006 at 6:19 PM Post #26 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by TenaciousO
Okie dokie.
rolleyes.gif

Constructive reply. Heres on right back at you champ.
rolleyes.gif

Biggie.

Feb 20, 2006 at 10:28 PM Post #28 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ
Constructive reply. Heres on right back at you champ.
rolleyes.gif

Biggie.

Well, if head-fi has taught me one thing, it's that we're all stubborn when it comes to our feelings about headphones. And as mektarus has mentioned, it's all subjective anyway so I saw no need to press the point. Haha.

jcc2k2, I'm glad that you were able to decide on which headphones you want. As for your question about burn-in, you're playing with Pandora's box.
icon10.gif

Feb 20, 2006 at 11:40 PM Post #29 of 34
Not a pandora box at all. Atleast shouldn't be. It's not like with cables where you need decent gear to hear the difference or golden ears.

jcc2k2@ just try it yourself. Listen for some various tracks with the phones out of the box for 15/30 mins whatever. Then let them burn in for 40 hours minimum (could be less, depends on the music you burn them in with i guess) then tell us if you noticed any changes.

For me the change was so obvious that i didn't really had the chance to doubt the fact that phones improve with time. Maybe it's harder to notice with more natural headphones but the PortaPro's bass is so bloated out of the box that it's really hard to deny the improvment.. Who am i kidding even the MX500 benifited from burn in and you can't get any cheaper then that in head-fi.

All that heapens IMHO is the driver "lossens up" a bit. Not so hard to believe as with other "pandora boxes"..
rolleyes.gif

Feb 21, 2006 at 1:09 AM Post #30 of 34
The KSC-75's bendable wire clips alone make it head and shoulders above the KSC-35's unbendable plastic clips, which were not designed to get the drivers in the proper position on my ears for me to hear them as they ought to be heard. As a result the 35's always sounded to warm to me.

Once I got the 75's and played around with their orientation over my ear, I was able to get them in a sweet spot and hear the best out of them. For unamped listening I feel they are unbeatable in terms of sound, price and convenience. Though the Grado SR-225's do beat them in terms of sound, it is not by nearly as wide a margin as their price would indicate, and the 75's are more comfortable and portable to boot. And when amped, the differences shrink even more.

The only aspect where the 75's are always beaten is in terms of soundstage and overall coherence, which they are not very good at. The soundstage sounds artifical and you feel as if though you are listening to two speakers, rather than a single, unifed soundfield.

But, I don't use the 75's for my critical listening. They are fun phones and have an unshakeable place in my coterie of headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back