Kramer-mod... KSC75...
Oct 20, 2011 at 10:43 PM Post #391 of 542

I used 28 AWG and it seems to be okay. Sound is better imo. larger spectrum and the bass is thumpin even though they are poorly mounted to my ears. My next project is to get some Skullcandy agents and mount the drivers in them. Then do some heavy moding and get some damn sexy headphones. I like the skullcandy look but hate the skullcandy durability and sound. The agents look promising because the headband is made of metal like my aviators. Hopefully it works since they are both 40mm. Any tips?

Dec 10, 2011 at 11:08 AM Post #392 of 542
i am new to this mod. Just order the clip-on and want to start modding. below are questions:

1. Where can i get better cables like see everyone uses?
2. where can i get plugs that will work with iphone b/c it is recess?
3. any videos or instructions in taking it apart and soldering?

I hope have you guys help me find good deals on varity of options for cables and plugs.

thank you in advance for the help. I'll post my pictures once the mods are completed

I might need to get a new solder gun too.

Dec 10, 2011 at 12:22 PM Post #393 of 542
Nov 21, 2012 at 9:49 AM Post #394 of 542
I did the Kramer mod as soon as I got these headphones and really liked the result.  I wanted to try a different earpad because I wanted a touch more bass response and maybe some isolation.

I found the Sennheiser PX200 Earpads at B&H and gave them a shot (these are originals in sennheiser packaging fwiw).

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/357359-REG/Sennheiser_089332_H_89332_Ear_Cushions.html

First and foremost I'm a novice so keep that in mind as you read my impressions.

At first I really liked them, the lower end of the spectrum was so much more powerful and isolation was significantly improved.  But after I listened for a while my disappointment grew.

Surprisingly, considering the thinner than stock stretchy material now covering the drivers, the highs seem less "sparkly."  The bass is significantly more present and the body of male vocals is stronger as well, which i suppose is expected.  I cut away the stretchy material and the sparkle is there, but overall the sound feels muddy; more isolated, certainly, but not what I was hoping for.  The only way I can seem to put it into words is it almost felt like pointing a speaker into a bucket.  Suddenly everything was competing instead of complementing.

In the end, I'm not sure if that makes me a fan of open headphones or if these just weren't designed to have that kind of earpad.  But I've learned what I personally like about these headphones.

I also recabled them with some 28 AWG silver strand wire from navships on ebay and the microphonics were just awful.  I plan to either return to the original cable or maybe use another cable around the house.  I'm sure I could reduce it with some paracord and heatshrink, but I didn't really notice an improvement in quality so it was something of a letdown.

Anyways I hope this helps anyone considering mods for the KSC75, I am still blown away by the sound quality even with all of my "disappointment" in certain adjustments I've made, and best of all a few short moments of effort return me to the sound I want to hear.  Thanks to Kramer and everyone at Head-Fi for the cool ideas.

Dec 12, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #395 of 542
the earpad has a BIG difference on sound. If anyone can find an earpad with the thickness about the same as the one kramer has, let me know. I can't find any earpads for the KSC12.

After doing the cheap partsexpress headband mod, the ksc75 was closer to my ear and the treble sparkle was lost. I wan't it back while using the headband so I need to find a thicker earpad.

Dec 12, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #396 of 542
Quote:
After doing the cheap partsexpress headband mod, the ksc75 was closer to my ear and the treble sparkle was lost. I wan't it back while using the headband so I need to find a thicker earpad.

Did you do the kramer mod? If not, instead of that you can try removing the plastic driver covers and replacing them with steel mesh.

Dec 12, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #397 of 542
I did the Kramer mod.I may end up putting the a stock clips on because it sounds kinda muddy with the headband on. how does the mesh compare to the Kramer mod? I may be deaf but I didn't hear too much difference after drilling the holes. Maybe it is because I did 2 mods at once.

Feb 9, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #398 of 542

Wow great work with metal mesh! Did you use the original grill for the rim? Or is that some other material? If so, please let me know what you used. Thanks

The Kramer mod didn't do much for me either AZNracerx1989. It's not the first time I read that the mod didn't seem to do anything to sound quality. 

Feb 9, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #399 of 542
Quote:

Wow great work with metal mesh! Did you use the original grill for the rim? Or is that some other material? If so, please let me know what you used. Thanks

The Kramer mod didn't do much for me either AZNracerx1989. It's not the first time I read that the mod didn't seem to do anything to sound quality. 

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking, but here's a pic of the driver with metal mesh covering the driver:

I just removed the plastic driver covers, cut out the metal mesh to the appropriate size, and crazy glued it onto the driver rim. You would want to do a better job than I did, and try not to have any mesh-ends sticking out (like the ones at the bottom of the photo), because they get snagged on the pad material easily.

The metal mesh + parts express headband (to get the drivers tighter on the ear) makes for a fantastic sounding headphone. I still shake my head to think of how inexpensive these are and how good they sound. I have been listening a lot lately to my new ATH AD900X 53mm open headphones (first open backed headphones), which I think are awesome. But now I just tried the KSC75's on my laptop via the ELE DAC (amazing $20 usb dac) and my Fiio E11 portable amp to thow in a bit of bass boost ($40), and they really are producing a ridiculously good sound. If the ksc75's had been the last headphones that I had ever got (instead of just the first lol), it wouldn't have been such a bad thing!

Feb 9, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #400 of 542
Crazy glue huh? And you get a brighter sound? What cushions are u using? The Kramer mod did nothing for me, so I am looking for another mod. Do you have the ProtaPro's too or just the 75's? I just ordered the 75's with the $2 headband. Can't wait to hear the sound!

Feb 9, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #401 of 542
Hmmm. I have owned the Porta Pro since it existed (probably sold more of those for Koss by demo than any of their sales channels:))and find it really interesting that the KSC75 mods all START with the grille and cushions. We did that to the Porta and Later Sporta Pro's simply because we had to. There really was no other way to tune that (KSC35) driver.

With the 75 the game has changed and for the better. BEFORE doing any surgery to the grille or any other thing, may I humbly suggest you grab a stick of BluTack and begin by covering off some of the ports on the REAR of the housing. there is an amazing amount of tuning that can be done this way, as either by design or pure happenstance the good folks at Koss have given a phenomenal array of ports on the rear to be played with.

Feb 10, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #402 of 542
Yes, you may humbly suggest that lol! Makes me want to run out and buy another pair for Blu Tac modding purposes!

Feb 10, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #403 of 542
The nice part of this type of mod is you can reverse it:) You can also spend endless hours covering various combinations of ports. And we havent even got to the felt disk part .....yet:wink:

Feb 10, 2013 at 12:44 AM Post #404 of 542
Yup! Just stalked you over to the foobar dolby thread. I use foober, so whatever you guys are talking about over there sounds enticing. I think though that I'll have to attempt grokking it all in the morning lol!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back