Kozee Sound Solutions ** MAJOR CS ISSUES - NOT RECOMMENDED (info in first post) ** Custom IEMs & Reshell review
May 3, 2011 at 11:59 PM Post #271 of 852

Quote:
So I've had my re-shelled UE10Pro for a couple of weeks now and they are awesome.  I did realize that the right one quite easily loses the seal.  I know that Adam offers 90 day re-fit, but I'm curious if anyone has done any DIY procedure for minor fitting adjustment.  I understand that if the shells are too big then it must be sent back for refitting, but if it's a bit small there may be ways to remedy that.

Given how overwhelmed Adam is, I'm not sure if I really want to send these back for a minor adjustment.  Some thread suggested adding multiple layers of nail polish to fill in the necessary spots for better fit.  Has anyone done this?

If you look at the old threads for LiveWires and FreQ customs from back in 2008 or so, many people seemed to do the clear nail polish trick to add a little thickness to their customs. Usually on the canal area. There is actually other stuff that they said was better, some clear coat for models from the brand Testors if I recall correctly. You might try to look that up.
If the fit is too big, I think it has been suggested that many (but not all) audiologists have the tools available for minor adjustments, like buffing down or smoothing a certain section if needed. So either way there is a possibility of getting it sorted without sending it back. Although if it was me, I'd email Adam and get his approval on it. That way he knows what the deal is if they get messed up and you end up having to send them back anyway.

May 4, 2011 at 12:12 AM Post #272 of 852

Quote:
We see this time and time again. Whether it's custom IEM molds or a trigger job on a gun or machined tools.  They are great craftsman but terrible business people and not smart enough to realize the difference. But they do such great work that everyone makes ridiculous excuses for them.

Well, to be quite frank.  I don't really believe that I or any others have posted ridiculous excuses in this thread!
I do most certainly not have any kind of issue to wait for a product that I so far believe related to quality and price wise is while worth the wait!
Sure, no doubt about that Kozee has experienced an avid exposure via HeadFi that they related to the time frame probably wasn't quite ready for, but I have no doubt about that they in the long run will learn from this experience etc.  Of course, If I'm wrong, you win!  

May 4, 2011 at 6:26 AM Post #273 of 852
Is there a possibility of getting a TF10 reshell with the addition of a dynamic driver for increased bottom end? I'm interested in the concept of hybrids, but the price tag on UM Merlins is not particularly enticing. I enjoy the SQ out of my TF10 but rarely wear them because of the physical pain from the fit necessary for me to get a seal, so it's not like I don't need them reshelled anyway.

May 4, 2011 at 10:49 AM Post #274 of 852

Quote:
Is there a possibility of getting a TF10 reshell with the addition of a dynamic driver for increased bottom end? I'm interested in the concept of hybrids, but the price tag on UM Merlins is not particularly enticing. I enjoy the SQ out of my TF10 but rarely wear them because of the physical pain from the fit necessary for me to get a seal, so it's not like I don't need them reshelled anyway.

From what I know, Adam is experimenting with making dynamic custom IEMs, but there is no guarantee or ETA (if he gets it to work he will probably surprise us!).  There is another lower cost alternative to the Merlin which is the Thousand Sound TS842 and also the X3 bass drivers sound very "dynamic."  You can read my description of the X3 in the third post in this thread.

May 4, 2011 at 12:10 PM Post #275 of 852
Hi guys! How long is the delivery time for the kozee customs nowadays?

Has somebody from Europe ordered some customs? How long did it took to receive the impression kit and after sending it and after that how long did it took to receive your customs?

Thanks guys!

May 4, 2011 at 6:47 PM Post #276 of 852
I'll 2nd what Joe said. You don't necessarily NEED a dynamic driver for lows to get good results.... it certainly is one option, and when done well (Merlin) it sounds very good, but it's not the only game in town.

Kozee does not give the option to add drivers when they do reshells.

I did send Kozee a dynamic driver to experiment on for reshelling. If they figure out how to get good results, then that's good news for everyone. If not, no big deal. But there are tons of people out there who would like to get custom shells for their IE8, MTPC, Radius DDM, etc and if Kozee can figure out the trick to reshelling those, that will be huge. 

May 4, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #277 of 852

Thank you for the info and suggestion!
I will keep Adam in the loop if I decide to do anything on my own.  That is a great advice, and much appreciated!
j.
Quote:
If you look at the old threads for LiveWires and FreQ customs from back in 2008 or so, many people seemed to do the clear nail polish trick to add a little thickness to their customs. Usually on the canal area. There is actually other stuff that they said was better, some clear coat for models from the brand Testors if I recall correctly. You might try to look that up.
If the fit is too big, I think it has been suggested that many (but not all) audiologists have the tools available for minor adjustments, like buffing down or smoothing a certain section if needed. So either way there is a possibility of getting it sorted without sending it back. Although if it was me, I'd email Adam and get his approval on it. That way he knows what the deal is if they get messed up and you end up having to send them back anyway.

May 4, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #278 of 852

Quote:

I did send Kozee a dynamic driver to experiment on for reshelling. 

Hah!  I see what you did there.  Slick.  
wink_face.gif

May 5, 2011 at 1:52 AM Post #280 of 852

Quote:
Yep, since the ball kind of got dropped on our "high end driver" project, and nobody had much luck getting results, I figured it was worth a try. Have you gone any further with yours?

Nope, it's on the back burner atm.  I have other audio priorities ahead of the list and more non audio related ones before those.  >.<

I'll be keeping my good eye on you.  
blink.gif

May 5, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #281 of 852
I just won some TF10 on eBay, and cant wait for them to arrive to get reshelled.  Decided to go with Kozee since, since I will be working in Chicago for a while, wanted something local.  Anyways, emailed Adam, and he told me I can stop by the office to drop off the TF10 and get the impressions done there.  Now waiting for the buds to arrive.

May 5, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #282 of 852
Received my molding kit last night. I got two boxes totally four packages of the "putty". Is this correct? Don't I just need 1 package per ear? Am I supposed to return the other box?

May 5, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #283 of 852
I'm waiting for my mold kit.  A friend of mine ended up wasting a set before getting the ideal mold.  The first, according to him was a practice run without consequence.  Cool that Kozee provides more than enough to get the ideal mold and the fact it's included in the price of the remolding service. 

May 6, 2011 at 2:26 AM Post #285 of 852
Hey guys

I'm assuming that the postage cost in the checkout for a universal reshell is only for postage of the impressions kit and the final product...so on top of this, do you need to factor in the postage of the completed impressions and the universal earphones back to Kozee?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back