Kozee Sound Solutions ** MAJOR CS ISSUES - NOT RECOMMENDED (info in first post) ** Custom IEMs & Reshell review
Jul 26, 2011 at 1:23 PM Post #511 of 852

Quote:
Too early to say my friend. I'll give myself a week before I make any final judgement. As immaculate as I find the EX1000's sound, it'll be difficult to replace for these ears, be it Jh16's or not. I'll know in a few days time.
biggrin.gif

@music_4321: I'll post up initial impressions as soon as I can get to it my friend.

so you finally received the reshell from kozee?

Jul 26, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #512 of 852
Then just for you my friend, if I absolutely had to say anything this early on, it's as follows:

Before I say anything, I'd just like to point out that this is my first ever encounter with custom monitors. Yes, that includes demo units. That said, another point I'd like to mention is that because these are reshelled JH16's, my listening experience may not reflect that of someone who purchased directly through JH Audio, without having the internals switched over to an entirely new shell. Straight away the first thing I noticed is how flush they rest within my ear. There's no initial discomfort, and hasn't been for the past half hour or so. I could quite honestly say that listening fatigue is next no non-existent, though I'll know for sure in due time. Not to mention, much of that depends entirely on factors such as the impressions down to the custom shell itself. As per the build quality, it falls hand in hand with the comfort, as far as my ears are concerned. Pics soon to follow of course...

Having heard nearly every top tier universal, I thought I'd heard it all, per se. The JH16 yet again introduced me to a very unique presentation, which I feel is where it differs most from amongst everything else I've heard. While I certainly intend to do a comparison between the EX1000 and JH16's, it'll require a good bit of time and a wide range of tracks/genres. As of now, the 2 are entirely different in presentation, and it's best to describe one without the other involved. If I were to describe the JH16's presentation, I'd say everything seems to fall right into place. Then again, I feel the exact same with regards to the EX1000. The lows pack a mean punch (albeit quantitatively, not as big as the JVC's/Atrio's) without missing any detail. The mids are very intimate, albeit not overshadowing the lows by even the slightest. The highs on the other hand are not the least bit fatiguing, albeit I've come to find that the phrase "trash in, trash out" could quite easily have been a disclaimer printed in large on the box of the JH16's. Where the EX1000 was much much more forgiving, the JH16 seems to bring out not only the best of the track, but also the worst. Our friend music_4321 once provided me with some wonderful insight that I'll never forget, and sicne then, made me appreciate just how much of an influence the tracks mastering/recording plays in relation to the sound perceived by the listener. It's made all the more obvious with the JH16's. On a similar note, my current source is the FiiO E7 plugged directly into my desktop PC's sound card, which, in the eyes of many, is a weak one I'm sure. Nonetheless, with all the universals I've come to own, I've always been content with the results. The JH16's may very well be the exception, since all the nuances, both good and bad, are brought forth effortlessly.

It will definitely take some time for the JH16's unique presentation to settle in. For me to get past the 'out of head' feel the EX1000 brings... well, that's a feat which more than a dozen other top tier universals have failed to accomplish, to say the least. Upon first listen, did I fall head over heels for the JH16? Hardly. It was moreso, hmm, how different! For the time being, my EX1000's reign the absolute supreme in terms of SQ, and once I'm able to sit and properly A/B each one, I'll post whether they're both here to stay, or whether one is bound to walk the infamous FS plank.
smile.gif

Jul 26, 2011 at 2:37 PM Post #514 of 852

Quote:
Then just for you my friend, if I absolutely had to say anything this early on, it's as follows:

Before I say anything, I'd just like to point out that this is my first ever encounter with custom monitors. Yes, that includes demo units. That said, another point I'd like to mention is that because these are reshelled JH16's, my listening experience may not reflect that of someone who purchased directly through JH Audio, without having the internals switched over to an entirely new shell. Straight away the first thing I noticed is how flush they rest within my ear. There's no initial discomfort, and hasn't been for the past half hour or so. I could quite honestly say that listening fatigue is next no non-existent, though I'll know for sure in due time. Not to mention, much of that depends entirely on factors such as the impressions down to the custom shell itself. As per the build quality, it falls hand in hand with the comfort, as far as my ears are concerned. Pics soon to follow of course...

Having heard nearly every top tier universal, I thought I'd heard it all, per se. The JH16 yet again introduced me to a very unique presentation, which I feel is where it differs most from amongst everything else I've heard. While I certainly intend to do a comparison between the EX1000 and JH16's, it'll require a good bit of time and a wide range of tracks/genres. As of now, the 2 are entirely different in presentation, and it's best to describe one without the other involved. If I were to describe the JH16's presentation, I'd say everything seems to fall right into place. Then again, I feel the exact same with regards to the EX1000. The lows pack a mean punch (albeit quantitatively, not as big as the JVC's/Atrio's) without missing any detail. The mids are very intimate, albeit not overshadowing the lows by even the slightest. The highs on the other hand are not the least bit fatiguing, albeit I've come to find that the phrase "trash in, trash out" could quite easily have been a disclaimer printed in large on the box of the JH16's. Where the EX1000 was much much more forgiving, the JH16 seems to bring out not only the best of the track, but also the worst. Our friend music_4321 once provided me with some wonderful insight that I'll never forget, and sicne then, made me appreciate just how much of an influence the tracks mastering/recording plays in relation to the sound perceived by the listener. It's made all the more obvious with the JH16's. On a similar note, my current source is the FiiO E7 plugged directly into my desktop PC's sound card, which, in the eyes of many, is a weak one I'm sure. Nonetheless, with all the universals I've come to own, I've always been content with the results. The JH16's may very well be the exception, since all the nuances, both good and bad, are brought forth effortlessly.

It will definitely take some time for the JH16's unique presentation to settle in. For me to get past the 'out of head' feel the EX1000 brings... well, that's a feat which more than a dozen other top tier universals have failed to accomplish, to say the least. Upon first listen, did I fall head over heels for the JH16? Hardly. It was moreso, hmm, how different! For the time being, my EX1000's reign the absolute supreme in terms of SQ, and once I'm able to sit and properly A/B each one, I'll post whether they're both here to stay, or whether one is bound to walk the infamous FS plank.
smile.gif

Wow, that was certainly quick! Thanks for your initial impressions. Perhaps not appropriate, but you may want to post your initial findings on the EX1000 thread, too. Then again, you may want to give it a few more days. Thanks again.

Jul 26, 2011 at 3:48 PM Post #515 of 852
Always my friend. I too feel it's best to give it some time to settle in, since I'm just as prone as anyone else to the FOTM. At the very least, I'll post back after a weeks time or maybe a tad bit earlier on if I'm that eager. I'll post pics soon enough, and meanwhile, I'll stick to the discussion at hand. I honestly hope all others still playing the waiting game are able to work things around as quick as I was able to; quick in Kozee terms of course, which was exactly 5 weeks from the time Adam received them and began working on them till they were shipped back to me. I should mention that a tiny black plastic piece surrounding the region where the cable inserts into the earpiece chipped off, though it seems to make little to no difference at all since it isn't part of the shell itself, but surrounds the cable input, and isn't nearly as bad as it may sound. It's rather insignificant, albeit noteworthy in case I forget to mention it later.

Jul 26, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #518 of 852
Apologies for the quality; had but only my outdated 5MP Casio camera around. In the very last picture, on the black piece surrounding the wire input, the chipped off portion I was referring to earlier can be seen at the bottom right corner.

P.S. the camera flash always accentuates the actual transparency of the shell, but I adjusted the tone/contrast to reflect the actual reshell as close as I could get it.
biggrin.gif

Jul 26, 2011 at 7:53 PM Post #520 of 852
Being that these are my first ever customs, it took me a while before I was able to conclude that no matter how much I tampered with the fit, the right shell encloses my ear slightly more than the left shell does, which is throwing off the balance altogether. In turn, the music sounds slightly more fuller through the right earpiece than the left, and while the distinction is minimal, it's noticeable nonetheless, and too distracting for my ears. Hence I've no choice but to send them back, unfortunately. And from my initial experience, the sooner in, the sooner out.

P.S. Those are starting to look edible. Keep them far far away from my eyes!

Jul 27, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #523 of 852
@FullCircle
The drivers are embedded in wood? If so, that's insane.

@i2ehan
Those look pretty smexy :) Too bad you had to send em back though. I'm waiting for my audiologist to come back from vacation so I can get my ear impressions done...

Jul 29, 2011 at 4:36 AM Post #524 of 852
finally my reshelled tf10 arrived today. and what else can i say than: it is worth waiting. really perfect work. i wanted kozee to tune the sound to my liking and they matched my wishes outstandingly. now the tf10 sounds better than my ue11 to me.

Jul 29, 2011 at 5:51 AM Post #525 of 852
Quote:
finally my reshelled tf10 arrived today. and what else can i say than: it is worth waiting. really perfect work. i wanted kozee to tune the sound to my liking and they matched my wishes outstandingly. now the tf10 sounds better than my ue11 to me.

eek.gif
 Congrats my friend! If only we can push Adam to offer better CS, then I don't see what's stopping him, really. I wasn't dissapointed with the JH16 reshells either. Besides, it's all too often that the fit doesn't turn out right the first time around (as was my case). Hopefully, the wait won't be nearly as long & difficult to bear this time around.
smile.gif

P.S. If and when time permits, please post pics!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back