Koss UR55 - Odd Rattling?
Aug 11, 2010 at 7:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Gotmilk

New Head-Fier
So, yeah. The left speaker of my Koss UR55 headphones seems to have one or two little bits/pieces rolling around inside it. No idea how they got there, and it was after I got home from the mall today, seeing as I didn't notice any rattling before.

I'd open up the cup, but I don't see any screws anywhere on it, except for the couple of tiny screws around where the Y-shaped piece meets the top part.

Help, anyone? It's really annoying to listen to tiny pieces rattling around to the slightest head movement.

http://news.ferra.ru/images/262/262309.jpg - Is what they look like, btw. I don't know how anything could have gotten inside them, seeing as the grilles' holes are really small, and there's no way to get anything around the fuzzy part as it's glued or something.

Aug 12, 2010 at 1:08 AM Post #3 of 12
I don't think there is anything I can do to help. I have the Koss UR-55 and have never had this problem before. Is there any way you can take them back and exchange them? That's one idea. Even if you don't have your receipt you still might be able to do this. If that doesn't work I'm sure Koss could do a warranty claim.

I'm not actually sure how to open up the headphones, sorry.

Aug 12, 2010 at 1:43 AM Post #4 of 12
I actually heard the same thing w/ the Koss DJ100s as I packed them for return.  I thought, oh well, doesn't matter now.

Aug 12, 2010 at 3:35 PM Post #8 of 12
Well I WOULD return them, but I bought them while I was in Chicago, and now I'm back home, and I doubt I could return them to a local Best Buy.

@ Olimoronio

I can't seem to "twist apart" any part of the headphones.

EDIT: Managed to pry apart a small separation between the headphones and the cup with my thumbnails, but couldn't open it. Wedged a tiny screwdriver inside and shook the headphones a bit, and apparently whatever was inside came out because there's no more rattling noise.

Aug 12, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #9 of 12

Quote:
They probably twist apart. If you do get them apart please take a pic of the driver and post it.

Thanks.

Wish you said something earlier.  Its 2 or 4 small screws, don't recall.  Although the enclosure is machined aluminum the internal structure and housing is all plastic.  
frown.gif

Aug 12, 2010 at 4:07 PM Post #10 of 12

Quote:
Well I WOULD return them, but I bought them while I was in Chicago, and now I'm back home, and I doubt I could return them to a local Best Buy.

@ Olimoronio

I can't seem to "twist apart" any part of the headphones.

EDIT: Managed to pry apart a small separation between the headphones and the cup with my thumbnails, but couldn't open it. Wedged a tiny screwdriver inside and shook the headphones a bit, and apparently whatever was inside came out because there's no more rattling noise.

You should see if they take the return.  If not then nothing is lost.  Just use the Koss warranty at that point.

Aug 12, 2010 at 7:23 PM Post #11 of 12
Best Buy will take returns from any store. I've done this several times. Even Wal-Mart does this.
At Best Buy years ago I even was able to return an Ipod Touch unopened without a receipt. It's easier for them if you paid with a credit card. They were able to look up the record of my purchase. If you use their reward zone thing they're also maybe more likely to accept it as a return.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back