Koss Pro/4AAA - 70's vintage cans
Nov 13, 2009 at 5:41 AM Post #46 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by itza2mer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't have any good spares at this moment. I made molds a while back, was planning to make a test batch of cushions, but don't have the supplies at this moment.

Wouldn''t be a perfect fit cosmetically, but you could 'get by' and use 4AAAT cushions until a better alternative comes up. KOSS still has some in stock.

Thanks, I think that's what I'm gonna try. It's only 5 bucks, right? I'll let you know how it works out.
popcorn.gif

Nov 13, 2009 at 1:41 PM Post #47 of 130
Soon as I get the supplies, and I find the right combo for fit, seal, comfort, and sound, I'll start making up some custom earpads for the 4AAA's. Could be 3-4 more weeks, but I need to get going on this. For now, car repairs come first! I'll update when I make some progress on the earpad front.

Why Koss doesn't bring the original 4AAA design back, I'll never know. I guess more of a demand for the retro 4AA's. Oh well

Nov 16, 2009 at 10:21 PM Post #50 of 130
Ordered supplies to make earpads, should have a 'prototype' in a week or 2. I'm going for seal and fit first. Comfort is the tricky part, then again the original pads aren't that comfy. Maybe I can improve on that, but the seal is the important part. Need a good seal around the ears for the bass to sound full and rich.

Nov 17, 2009 at 1:56 AM Post #52 of 130
I had inherited both the aa & the aat from my father who obtained them around 1980. They were in terrible condition. I sent them to koss about 8 years ago in a box with $5 and they refurbished them with new drivers, headband, and new cable. They even returned the crappy radio shack termination on the end of them that I sent them with. They're good cans for 70's rock / 80's pop. I used both versions for club dj work for a number of years doing techno & progressive house sets. I'm more intimately farmiliar with the aa than the aaa versions. The aaa kept dying on me & I gave up on them. The aa has a huge spike around 6-8khz.

The heaviness in the cans comes from a large traditional material magnet. The heaviness made them prone to breaking if you drop them from low heights.

I think they're a novel can to keep around, despite their odd sound signature.

Nov 18, 2009 at 12:01 AM Post #53 of 130
Vort3xxX darn shame about the 4AAA dying on you back in the day. Were they the brown ones, or the black ones? For the most part, they used different drivers. I've dropped my 4AAA several times, and they still work fine.

gubes42, too soon to tell how much I'll sell them for, have to figure out what It's gonna cost me to make first. I'll sell them for more on ebay, but discount them to Head-Fi members that PM me.

Nov 18, 2009 at 12:48 AM Post #54 of 130
Quote:

Vort3xxX darn shame about the 4AAA dying on you back in the day. Were they the brown ones, or the black ones? For the most part, they used different drivers. I've dropped my 4AAA several times, and they still work fine.

I had

4/AAA 1995
4/AAA 70s
4/AA 70s

I still use the 4/aa solely by virtue of their durability when not dropped / abused. the 1990's black ones fell apart quickly for me. I sent them back twice & then decided to upgrade when it was time to fix them again. The adjustment pegs broke, the wires broke, and the pleather fell apart on them. The black 1990s one was my least favorite of the 3.

Nov 18, 2009 at 4:13 PM Post #56 of 130
Yeah, the build and quality went downhill on Koss phones starting in the early-mid 80's thru the 90's. From what I've read, the company lost focus of what made them big in the first place, quality headphones. They expanded and branched out into other audio equiptment areas, but sales were bad, and it almost killed the company.

Nov 19, 2009 at 7:52 PM Post #57 of 130
Okay, got the basic supplies delivered to me today. Will make test pads from molds next couple days. Looking at the supplies I just received, I'm probably gonna have to charge more than the $5 that Koss used to sell their pads for. However, I don't want to price gouge. For now, I'm looking at what it's gonna cost me to make 1 pair of pads, and then figuring what to charge to help me break even after adding shipping costs. I'll update once I've made 1 pair of earpads that I've tested and happy with.

Dec 15, 2009 at 11:50 PM Post #59 of 130
Made prototype earpads, but have one main bug to work out. Earpads are comfortable (more than stock), but materials I used for earpads doesn't let the earpads stick to the phones. I'll figure it out

Jan 16, 2010 at 6:52 AM Post #60 of 130
Quote:

Vintage Koss Pro4 AAA's:
muspics70s_prod_12_lg.jpg

I happened across a pair of these at a Goodwill store for 3$ but go figure they're at Goodwill for a reason. They're in real good condition but it turns out that the blue side, the one with the cord going through it has no sound whatsoever coming through it. I would like to fix this but cannot find the problem? Does anyone know something I could try to fix this? Ive tried to wiggle the wire in every spot but I hear no crackle or no sign anywhere of any loose connection. Can anyone help please? Any ideas?

These are super awesome old school headphones and I want to get them working to listen to my vinyls and crank some Rush and Styx.
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back