Koss Pro/4AAA - 70's vintage cans
Jan 13, 2008 at 3:17 AM Post #31 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by itza2mer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I share your opinion about the MDR-V6 phones. They're better suited for audio editing then for casual listening.

I guess that explains why you always see them on Radio Talk Show Hosts.

Jan 24, 2008 at 10:17 AM Post #32 of 130
Just a suggestion for anyone that orders replacement earpads for their 4AAA phones: Order 2 pair. I have found that lower bass response is highly dependent upon how well 'inflated' the earpads are. I recently ordered 2 sets, and out of the 4 earpads one wasn't filled with quite as much air as the other 3 earpads. The 'lack' of air does effect the tightness and clarity of the lower bass. Since it only costs me $10 for 2 pair, I didn't complain to Koss. However if it happens in the future, I will.

Jan 25, 2008 at 3:01 AM Post #34 of 130
From Koss.com, $5 for a pair.

I have two 4AAA phones. Once I have the time to compare the difference between the two 4AAA's in the next few days, (one has the old earpads, the other the new ones) I will follow up in this thread.

Jan 25, 2008 at 5:15 AM Post #35 of 130
Late seventies. An old Marantz Receiver. My Trusty Thorens Tuntable . When the AR's fell silent in the eve. Plunged into the 4AAA's. Man that brings back the Memories. Most of them smoke filled memories. If ya' get my drift.

Jan 29, 2008 at 5:47 AM Post #37 of 130
Old pads: midrange seems 'warmer', natural.
New pads: slightly more detail, a tad more 'in your face'.

Granted, I'm comparing two sets of 4AAA's, so that in inself 'taints' my listening 'experiment'. I'm nitpicking the difference between the two 4AAA, which is really very subtle at best. As long as the old earpads aren't 'hardened' up, and the lower bass extention is still there, I would not replace the old earpads.

Jan 29, 2008 at 6:47 AM Post #38 of 130
Whenever I listened to the TD80 at Barnes and Noble, I thought it sounded kinda bad, and was really heavy. The really lousy audio samples they have, though, certainly weren't helping.

Jan 29, 2008 at 10:56 PM Post #39 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by itza2mer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Old pads: midrange seems 'warmer', natural.
New pads: slightly more detail, a tad more 'in your face'.

Thanks for sharing your experience.
I had the same impressions on changing Sextetts pads. You confirmed my thoughts about this subject.

Mar 30, 2008 at 11:11 PM Post #40 of 130
Sorry to threadomance, but I've recently gotten a vintage pair (my mother claims she'd bought them in the late seventies, '80/'81 at the latest) of these working again. The right driver had gradually fallen silent (finally went about ten years ago!), and my recent exposure to the headphone world has gotten me interested in getting them back up and running. Turns out it was merely a bad solder joint in the right channel wire.

Now all I need to find are some replacement pads. The ones on here are kinda rock-hard. They're kinda wierd, stuck on with some sort of adhesive like a big sticker.

Mar 30, 2008 at 11:37 PM Post #41 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by moogoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry to threadomance, but I've recently gotten a vintage pair (my mother claims she'd bought them in the late seventies, '80/'81 at the latest) of these working again. The right driver had gradually fallen silent (finally went about ten years ago!), and my recent exposure to the headphone world has gotten me interested in getting them back up and running. Turns out it was merely a bad solder joint in the right channel wire.

Now all I need to find are some replacement pads. The ones on here are kinda rock-hard. They're kinda wierd, stuck on with some sort of adhesive like a big sticker.

PRO4AAA replacement pads sold for $5, free USPS first class shipping:
:: KOSS :: Welcome

Nov 13, 2009 at 4:49 AM Post #42 of 130
Quote:

PRO4AAA replacement pads sold for $5, free USPS first class shipping:
:: KOSS :: Welcome

Sorry to dig up this thread again. But I'm at my wits' end looking for some replacement cushions. The Koss site doesn't carry them anymore. Customer service wasn't too helpful either.

Any third-party companies make some that work? Anyone (itza2mer maybe?) have some spares of their own?

Thanks for helping
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 13, 2009 at 5:00 AM Post #44 of 130
Those are the double-A's, I have the triple-A's. Different cup shape. I mentioned on the phone that the new PRO/4AAAT's look to use the same cushions, but the rep said that the ones I need are slightly more "square." Sure enough, when I checked, she was right.
frown.gif

Nov 13, 2009 at 5:23 AM Post #45 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by gubes42 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry to dig up this thread again. But I'm at my wits' end looking for some replacement cushions. The Koss site doesn't carry them anymore. Customer service wasn't too helpful either.

Any third-party companies make some that work? Anyone (itza2mer maybe?) have some spares of their own?

Thanks for helping
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't have any good spares at this moment. I made molds a while back, was planning to make a test batch of cushions, but don't have the supplies at this moment.

Wouldn''t be a perfect fit cosmetically, but you could 'get by' and use 4AAAT cushions until a better alternative comes up. KOSS still has some in stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back