Koss Pro/4AAA - 70's vintage cans
Sep 21, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #106 of 130
Some years ago i picked them up on eBay in unused "in a box" condition. A couple of months ago i was in need money and think to sell them, but then I try them to check before selling how it's working ...WoW!!! They sounds so goood!  So now i'm happy owner of a pair this great vintage ears "from the box". :) 
sorry for my English )))

Oct 21, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #107 of 130
I understand if you don't like them you would probably rather got a 40% off coupon or something.

The one's I got were the 4AA on Amazon, a beige color,

http://www.amazon.com/Koss-Pro-4AA-Studio-Quality-Headphones/dp/B00004Z7G9

they sound pretty good not near my ESP-950

but for work they are good and not worn out like the ole Pro 4x/Plus

May 2, 2016 at 1:41 PM Post #110 of 130
Koss needs to reproduce the Pro4aaa and the HV-1a headphones with the correct drivers. They would make a pile of money if they did it correctly. Ido not know who is in charge now, but retro is big money, and if built to the correct specs for us here at head-fi, and the word got out that they were not just a copy like these Pro4aa that I purchased recently. All mids, I have an older pair of the aa's and I think I will put the older drivers in the new frames, and offer some better pads will ya!!!!! C.

May 3, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #111 of 130
I would definitely go for a redux of the HV-1A since there may be no premium open back headphone in their current line.

May 6, 2016 at 4:14 PM Post #115 of 130
$5.00 for a pair of pads for the Pro4aaa, includes shipping. How can you beat that. Just listening to the Pro4aaa's that I just received a couple of hours ago. Great lows, mids and zero highs. The highs have improved with some burn in time. Probably have not been used in ages. And people eay these are heavy, not when compared to the Pro4aa's, the aaa's must weigh at least a pound more. C.

May 14, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #116 of 130
These are a unique but very very good sounding headphone. Think High-Fidelity Beats -- extremely huge bass, but extremely tight, well-extended, low distortion bass. Nice midrange and good treble extension too. Speedy, clean, and deceptively spacious sounding. Also, these have insane build quality and isolate better than any other over-ear I've ever used. I have safely used these as hearing protection while mowing the lawn!

A close friend of mine used a phrase to describe how these sound and I haven't been able to get it out of my head since: "Wild Beast". Definitely accurate.

My measurements (replaced earpads w/ new ones from Koss):

EDIT: Here are Tyll's measurements for comparison. Largely similar results though Tyll had a bit of issue getting them to seal with the old pads:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/KossPro4AAA.pdf

A couple notes: the large rise in 2nd order distortion below 300Hz is an artifact of the vacuum-seal exhibited by the vinyl earpads. A similar effect is witnessed with other headphones that use this type of earpad and is simply a limitation of my microphone. Actual distortion performance is reflected in 3rd, 4th, and 5th harmonics.

There are three different versions of the 4AAA. This is a Series 2 model, which has the best version of the old Koss drivers. The first two have customizable transducer damping via a screw-on clamp -- I have my pair tuned ever so slightly tighter than stock. You want a cheap bass cannon? These can be customized to basically any amount you want and the bass does not EVER bottom out. 

Square Waves unavailable for now; will add later. Also, I accidentally captured distortion quantized in SPL, not percentage. Will change later.

Do not underestimate how difficult these are to drive. They are high impedance and need some serious juice to get going. They absolutely sing out of an Audio-GD SA-31. Not so much out of a FiiO. Your source needs to be pretty darn good too.

Sep 4, 2016 at 6:00 PM Post #117 of 130
takato14 Thank you! Great and useful info.

There are three different versions of the 4AAA. This is a Series 2 model, which has the best version of the old Koss drivers.

whether it is possible to distinguish visually from a photograph? On eBay pics for example?
Thanks

Nov 1, 2016 at 9:37 PM Post #118 of 130
A close friend of mine used a phrase to describe how these sound and I haven't been able to get it out of my head since: "Wild Beast". Definitely accurate.

I agree! 

Nov 5, 2016 at 2:05 AM Post #119 of 130
  takato14 Thank you! Great and useful info.

There are three different versions of the 4AAA. This is a Series 2 model, which has the best version of the old Koss drivers.

whether it is possible to distinguish visually from a photograph? On eBay pics for example?
Thanks

I actually have a little infograph to show this off. Here:

Left is series 3, right is series 1. No matter what you do, do not buy a series 3. They sound disgusting.

There is no clear outer distinction between series 1 and 2 drivers. You have to get lucky.

Nov 11, 2016 at 9:04 AM Post #120 of 130
takato14 Thank you! First picture - membrane grids difference - I know, but second pic, about bracket - it's new for me.
Great pics - thanks 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back