Koss Portapros Sound Better Than Koss PRO/4AA's
Dec 19, 2010 at 9:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

tmblack

New Head-Fier
My new Koss Portapros sound better than 70's Koss PRO/4AA's.
Is this a general concensus? Not even close in every way.
In smoothness,  frequency highs and lows and mids.

Dec 20, 2010 at 2:31 AM Post #2 of 16
The 4AAs need a lot of burn in and a powerful amp to sound ideal. That aside, they're two completely different sound signatures. The 4AA goes for detailed transparency while the Portapro has more of an active, bassy sound. It all depends on the kind of tastes a person has. The 4AA is magical with a tube amp. For being rolled out in 1970 it's still surprisingly competent. It outclassed most of its contemporaries back then and can still hold its own in my collection today. It's also worth noting that the Portapro design is 14 years newer and there was a lot of advancement in magnet and driver technology in those years between.

Dec 20, 2010 at 1:27 PM Post #3 of 16
I must have a poor sample of PRO/4AA.
Do the PRO/4AAA have the same size or larger drivers than the PRO/4AA?
The older PRO/4AA drivers did not look to have big magnets, What modern headphones have you compared them to in sound accuracy?

Dec 20, 2010 at 1:35 PM Post #4 of 16
I've been wanting the Pro4AAAT's for a long time now (2 years), but after reading some reviews I just decided to stop wishing.
Now what I want is the Pro4AA (the first 80's one), with one piezo-tweeter and a cone woofer in each earpiece, and oil-filled earpads. That was then. But Koss seems to be stuck at that time. That's probably why the Pro4 line is pretty ignored today.
That said, I want an ESP950.

Dec 20, 2010 at 1:41 PM Post #5 of 16
I think the AAA driver might be wider, but I don't have my set here to measure. I'm almost positive it has smaller magnets than the AA since it weighs quite a bit less. The huge voice coils and magnets in the 4AA are what make them so heavy.

In terms of modern cans I would say they have a bit of similarity with the K501s. The soundstage and detail are inferior but it's still got the same kind of light, clear tone. The AAA has a more rounded sound for sure. More bass and similar detail, but with a darker tone so the fine detail isn't as obvious.

I should mention Koss recently did a complete rebuild of my AAs and replaced the drivers, wiring, and everything else. You could always send them out and they'd do the same for you. They only charge $6 to cover the return shipping. If nothing else it would be a good opportunity to compare the drivers of newer vintage. They'll sound like rubbish for at least 100 hours and if they don't get enough power.

3602, just to clear things up the 4AA was introduced in 1970 and the AAA in '79. I think you're thinking of the AKG K340 as the only dual-driver design I know of Koss producing is a modern IEM.

Dec 20, 2010 at 1:51 PM Post #7 of 16
I always thought the 4-X was a dynamic model. That is indeed interesting, I'll ask the rep at Koss about them when I swing by there in the near future. I might have to try tracking a set down.

Dec 20, 2010 at 6:07 PM Post #8 of 16
Yeah this intrigues me too. I know the PRO4AA has heavy drivers. Without the drivers the whole enclosure is very light.

QuantumCarrot, where do you live in Milwaukee exactly? I live in the Riverwest area off of North Pierce St. It would be rad if you lived really close.

Jan 20, 2011 at 12:40 PM Post #12 of 16
I also recently got my 4AAAs rebuilt. The sound is much different before burn-in but they're improving little by little as the hour start to rack up. My AAs weren't very nice to listen to until I got them over probably 80 hours.

Jan 20, 2011 at 7:01 PM Post #14 of 16
For the 4AAs, the new drivers were earwrenchingly harsh and tinny. Over time they mellowed out and now they're some of my most transparent headphones. The highs can still be a little grating sometimes but there's a lot of detail and clarity in the sound.

The 4AAAs in their current state are pretty awful. Very muddy and boomy, but they're starting to clear up little by little. Their original drivers were slightly different from those that came in the later, black version of the 4AAA. I'm pretty sure the new drivers they installed are of this later version. The changes were aimed at making them easier to drive and already I've noticed improved bass response and impact. I'm hoping they end up sounding better than they did when I first got them(with their production drivers). The original drivers seemed old enough for age to have impacted their sound quality and one ended up completely dying, so it's hard to say.

May 17, 2011 at 4:48 AM Post #15 of 16
I am presently burning my Koss Pro4AA's and have to say.. they are growing on my head.. I've read all sorts of reviews saying that they are uncomfortable.. I have to say they are a little bit cumbersome.. but at the same time easy to get used to.  Presently waiting in the mail for my portapro's and looking forward to hearing what people are raving about. I like the fact I look like I'm going to jump into a tank right outta my chair.  Unfortunately, I need a better source or amp to make these babies sing..

Quote:
The 4AAs need a lot of burn in and a powerful amp to sound ideal. That aside, they're two completely different sound signatures. The 4AA goes for detailed transparency while the Portapro has more of an active, bassy sound. It all depends on the kind of tastes a person has. The 4AA is magical with a tube amp. For being rolled out in 1970 it's still surprisingly competent. It outclassed most of its contemporaries back then and can still hold its own in my collection today. It's also worth noting that the Portapro design is 14 years newer and there was a lot of advancement in magnet and driver technology in those years between.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back