KOSS PortaPro 25th Anniversary Edition [Photos + Review]
Jan 27, 2010 at 9:33 AM Post #151 of 174
hi i did side by side test with the KOSS PortaPro and the Shure SRH840.The amp USED is the iBasso D4 .now the KOSS PortaPro can hold there own in the test . they are both new right out of the box. will update when burned in

Apr 13, 2010 at 2:06 PM Post #152 of 174
nice one
I had one of these things

Apr 13, 2010 at 2:13 PM Post #153 of 174
Just read the whole thread. Can get enough of these cans and the deserving praise instilled. So much for so little. And the Koss customer service and Lifetime Warranty is amazing. They will be my only portable cans for a long while.
biggrin.gif

May 17, 2010 at 12:37 AM Post #155 of 174
I love these cans!  In fact, the best testament to their quality is how perfect they are when playing the DJ Max games on my PSP-3000.  I got a warmer, punchier sound, and more importantly I got wonderful sound separation; that is a BIG deal for me with that game series since some note patterns shift to sounds not immediately apparent with lesser IEMs or cans.  I beat about three or four personal records the night I first got these!  That's considering the 800-1000+ song playthroughs I've made in most of the games in the series on the PSP, so basically I've played most of the songs many, many times and had hit score walls up until then. Thanks to the PortaPros, I got to enjoy the music even more and was able to hear those necessarily details in the note patterns :)

I think I messed mine up though because I left them running music for about 24 hours recently.  I forgot to shut my work laptop off one night and when I got back late the next day they were still pumping out the music.  Now they don't have the same kind of punch to my ears :frowning2:  Think Koss would give me a replacement under their warranty, or do they usually only replace them for more severely damaged PortaPros?  I don't want to be a jerk and have to sit on them to get them replaced, but I've got about 12GB of music on my Sony NWZS545 that isn't quite the same without them :|

May 17, 2010 at 3:28 AM Post #156 of 174
KOSS have a great customer service. Quiet often they will replace parts and repair your broken Porta Pros - which is strange. It is probably cheaper to replace the whole unit than to change small broken parts including the manual labor time it takes. But for me they have been helpful and helped me out. They do take it very seriously even though it is just a Porta Pro. This is also what makes a truly fantastic company and a fantastic product to which I will always be loyal. 

May 17, 2010 at 2:36 PM Post #157 of 174
Thanks rasmushorn!  I guess I'll start with their customer service first - maybe it's just me and my ears since I've had a cold the last week or so.  My ears are off-and-on clear or slightly dulled these days.

Update: I was able to get an immediate response from Koss' online customer service chat link a moment ago.  Without hesitation they said to just send them on in with the $6 shipping and handling fee!  That's not necessarily a guarantee that my headphones are truly busted, but that's a more than fair price for them to at least look at them and send them back to me.  I think I'm gonna buy some KSC75's off of Amazon right now to show my continued support (and to have a Koss product to listen with while my PortaPros are shipped off).  Thank you, Koss!

Jun 28, 2010 at 9:07 PM Post #158 of 174
Just got my 25th Anniversary Edition of the PortaPros and want to report that they remain one of most favorite cans.   The sound for this kind of money plus the portability is simply astonishing.   What's lovely is the cord on this baby is mercifully short (and cloth) compared to the way too long cord long used on the original (which I always broke/tripped over).   Well done Koss!   You hardly look a day over 24.

David Simon
New York

Jun 30, 2010 at 10:14 PM Post #159 of 174
In case some of you are looking to score a pair or one for backup, Best Buy has them for $30 with Free Shipping. I doubt this is going to last for long, but it's a superb deal and there's no better time to buy.

Jul 1, 2010 at 12:00 AM Post #160 of 174
That's a terrific deal!  I paid about $50 for mine there earlier this year (had to fly out a couple days later for an important trip).

FYI folks, the PortaPro in the picture is that of the anniversary edition.  The one BestBuy has in stock is likely the current all black version with thin silver lining of the driver and completely black cloth-covered cable.  Not that the colors matter, but I figured I'd chime in just in case since the all black version with the thin silver lining of the driver is the one that's in stock at my local BestBuy (Tukwila, WA).

Jul 1, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #161 of 174

Quote:
That's a terrific deal!  I paid about $50 for mine there earlier this year (had to fly out a couple days later for an important trip).

FYI folks, the PortaPro in the picture is that of the anniversary edition.  The one BestBuy has in stock is likely the current all black version with thin silver lining of the driver and completely black cloth-covered cable.  Not that the colors matter, but I figured I'd chime in just in case since the all black version with the thin silver lining of the driver is the one that's in stock at my local BestBuy (Tukwila, WA).

Really, that's a shame, since I bought the BestBuy deal expecting they were the anniversary edition.. :frowning2: The image on BestBuy clearly shows the 25th anniversary text, so hopefully they're carrying the special edition online. I'll report back then they arrive next week.

Jul 2, 2010 at 5:02 PM Post #162 of 174
I bought the black ones a while ago... they are not the limited edition 25th ones; They are however very nice, with an all black cloth cable, and a black coating over most of the metal... the plug has improved to as you can see from the pictures. It is now a very small straight plug that fits in recessed 3.5mm jacks. Sadly, they are now dissapearing from local B-Buys, and I had to order one offline for a birthday; needless to say, it will be there late.

Jul 8, 2010 at 11:29 PM Post #163 of 174
Finally received my black portapros from BB. Indeed they aren't the special anniversary edition, but they are still black and have the nice cabling. This doesn't really matter anymore, since they're sold out anyways and I doubt they'll be getting more in.

This is my first pair of portapros, and the folding/extending mechanism confuses me, as the headphones are always a tight fit into the pouch and contain a lot of pressure, as the hook easily comes apart. Is this normal? I don't want to be killing my new cans.

Jul 9, 2010 at 4:48 PM Post #164 of 174
Yes they are very tight... I typically have to stretch the vinyl on the case to make it fit better. Make sure they are folded into a ball, and you should be good to go... and by the way, if the cable ever frays, gets caught on velcro, ect. heat is your friend, hold it near a candle and the fray will disappear.

Jul 19, 2010 at 8:25 PM Post #165 of 174
Only just found about these 25th anniversary edition's while searching for some new regular PortaPro's on the web, great review bty, I'm definitely grabbing myself a set of these, the Koss PortaPro's are favourite headphones bar non so far, been using them for around 20 years on and off now, I've had to purchase many pairs though over that time period, they may sound great built their build isn't unfortunately, but at least they are pretty cheap.

I've owned many different brands and types of headphones and even though I've heard and owned better in terms of SQ, there's something about the Porta Pro's sound that I just love, it's so rich and comforting, it feel like the audio is cuddling you :p, they are just about the most non-fatiguing headphones I've ever listened to.

The amount of people I stunned with these can's over the years is silly, I love meeting people that have never heard them before, I've had people tell me they look like cheap generic headphones from a pound (dollar) store before, I just hand them over to let them have listen to and their face is usually a picture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back