KOSS PortaPro 25th Anniversary Edition [Photos + Review]
Nov 3, 2009 at 2:59 AM Post #121 of 174
I have the ones from best buy. There are no signs of them being the anniversary edition. Everything the koss rep said to Sovkiller appears to be true. The circle behind the drivers, plastic behind the drivers, comfort zone switch, headband, and braided cable are all black. The koss branding on the side looks identical to the anniversary editions. The only extras they came with were a travel bag and 1/8 to 1/4 plug adapter.

Nov 3, 2009 at 3:37 AM Post #122 of 174
Did yours have the braided cable as well? It seems to me that either they had a few extra and decided to get rid of them...LOL...or maybe they redesigned them for more cable durability...

Nov 24, 2009 at 11:38 PM Post #124 of 174
Good review....oh so many months ago!! I actually owned a set of these in 1986. The year before I joined the Navy. I remember how much I loved them back then because I would put my sony walkman cassette player at full volume and the PortaPros took it like a champ! I am not sure what ever happened to them.

I had long since forgotten about these headphones until I was walking through the headphone section at Best Buy a few weeks ago. I was completely shocked!! First of all because they still made them and they look exactly the same! But second because they were only 39 dollars. I can't remember what I paid for mine in 86, but surely it was right around 15 dollars. Incredible that they have only gone up that much in over 20 years. Kudos to Koss!!

Like everyone else on this forum, I have my fair share of full size and IEM's. But I haven't stopped listening to my PortaPros since the day I got them. I also own the Senn PX100's and the HD238's. I choose the PortaPros without any hesitation at all!

They are so forward and in your face. If you like that sort of thing, these are the headphones for you. I do think that the bass in the PX100 is better. It's much fuller. But it also makes the mids and highs sound a bit mushy. (IMO). I think the overall sound of the HD238 is bigger, but not better. When I compare these 3 headphones, I try to listen to them all at the same volume. Not really possible. I do have to listen to the PX100's and 238's at a higher volume to get a decent amount of detail.

The PortaPro definitely does not have the biggest sound or the biggest bass of these 3 headphones, but they do offer the cleanest and best separation. In fact, after 3 weeks of everyday listening I am still amazed at the separation of these headphones. Amazing how well you can pick up every detail and every instrument. Pink Floyd's Pulse gives you a great range of instruments to test these headphones with.

BTW, I do not normally and not for the purpose of this writing use a headphone amp with my source. I listen to all of these straight out of my Sony S639. I do use the EQ settings however. I have an amp, I just usually am on the go too much to use it.

Nov 25, 2009 at 9:52 AM Post #125 of 174
I can only say I love these Phones too. I am at my 3rd pair now and they will always be in my inventory.

Nov 25, 2009 at 10:09 AM Post #126 of 174
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocksteady /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sorry for the confusion..the cable on mine are all black and covered in fabric.

They're not the limited 25th anniversary edition ones, although they still are the same PortaPros. It's missing some of the bling and the wire covering the anniversary edition has.

Nov 30, 2009 at 8:06 PM Post #128 of 174
Quote:

Originally Posted by fenixdown110 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They're not the limited 25th anniversary edition ones, although they still are the same PortaPros. It's missing some of the bling and the wire covering the anniversary edition has.

Yes, they're not the anniversary editions, I thought that was obvious.
beerchug.gif

Actually, they might not even be the same Porta pros. The other Porta pros that I have seen have a sensitivity rating of 101 db SPL/1mW. The black porta pros I had had a sensitivity rating of 103 db SPL/1mW. Well, at least that's what their packaging states. The sporta pros have the same sensitivity rating. I did some comparisons to the regular porta pros and posted about it here.

Dec 9, 2009 at 10:48 AM Post #131 of 174
Quote:

Originally Posted by nozr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really want these. WHY? smh

Great sound, great value for money, collectors item - what more can one ask for
regular_smile .gif

Dec 9, 2009 at 6:57 PM Post #133 of 174
Quote:

Originally Posted by nozr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you send in the 25th anniversaries for warranty do they send you back regular portapros?

I spoke to KOSS Europe because I had a pair run over by a truck. That was back in July. They said that by October this year they would have spareparts in stock for the 25th ED. So I think they will fix it with original spareparts and not jsut send a normal Porta Pro.

Dec 9, 2009 at 8:21 PM Post #134 of 174
How much of an upgrade would Shure SE210s be over portapros? I love my old pair but I feel it is time for an upgrade and the SE210s look right down my alley.

Dec 9, 2009 at 8:43 PM Post #135 of 174
Quote:

Originally Posted by zerodeefex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
....The braided cable is most of the reason I'd go for these. I've had a ton of koss cans die on me because of the shoddy cabling. I know, lifetime warranty, but waiting for a new set sucks.

Me too and I keep buying more sets. My PortaPro on KSC-35 clips gets far more use than any other headphone. The cable is starting to lose connection at the 3.5 jack so I think I will go for the newer version with the cloth cable. The cloth cable looks like it will tangle less when in the pocket. And yeah, I will put them on my KSC-35 clips. That way I can send in the old porta-pro to be replaced with the lifetime warranty and not have to wait for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back