KOSS PortaPro 25th Anniversary Edition [Photos + Review]
Dec 10, 2009 at 1:36 AM Post #136 of 174
I bought the new Porta Pro at Best Buy this evening. I really like the new cloth covered cable. It has a much nicer feel to it than the classic rubber. The smaller jack casing seems like it will be less prone to breaking than the older version; the new jack is better suited for portable use.

Dec 14, 2009 at 9:34 PM Post #137 of 174
Sorry I have been away from the forum for a week or so, that's because I've been enjoying my PortaPros! Wlai, they are in fact the 25th Anniversary edition, brand new...so I recommend anyone that wants a pair to go through Compass.com as the price is much lower than any other advertised I have seen, $44.93 + s/h. As these are my first PPs, I absolutely love them! For portables, these cut the cake on a cheap budget.

I first got into Head-fi by getting a Mini3 amp + pr of DT770 pro 80s, and as the PPs can't compare to that setup they are actually closer than I would have thought in overall performance. Bass is bold but not bloated. Mids are clear and separation is good. Highs are rolled off, but do the job for majority of music. All selections I have tried them with are very pleasant to listen to with my iPod out of the standard headphone jack. Volume is great, more than needed out of both my 1st gen iPod Touch and 160 gb Classic (the first 160 gb, the fatty).

Just thought I would let members know that Compass.com is legit, fast shipping, and they are in fact the 25th Ann. editions, so jump on it.

Thanks.
Happy Listening,
Scott

Dec 17, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #138 of 174
Picked up a pair last night from Best Buy as well. I must say I'm quite pleased with them. Listening to some Bjork right now. It's a very full, rich sound. Pretty comfortable too.

Dec 22, 2009 at 1:17 AM Post #139 of 174
Just got the Best buy ones...
A friend picked some up for us and brought them across the border to me (in Canada)

In my opinion this has almost all of the benefits of the anniversary edition (cloth cable, black trim) without the price.

The Anniversary edition would be cool to keep as a showpiece but I'm trying to reduce clutter! For every day use, these are great. I love the cloth cable. The silver flecked anniversary one looks cooler but the Best Buy version is still cloth and much nicer than plastic.

Dec 22, 2009 at 8:12 PM Post #140 of 174
happy_face1.gif
Diggin' it! Listening to my D2+ through them and very impressed; now I see (hear?) why PPs have had such a following. I had no idea what I was missing. I usually listen on my Klipsch Custom 2 and while they do sound better they isolate too well for some situations. With these PortaPros I get decent sound quality and can still hear what is going on around me. And the all black theme works with my all black D2+. The original design was kind of kitschy looking what with the silver band and blue plastic parts IMO. Maybe a certain geeky cool factor to some?

Dec 22, 2009 at 9:27 PM Post #142 of 174
I have always really liked the PP's. Way underrated, well maybe not now. In some ways I like them better than my HD650's and find the sound just as open. I have done some modification, like taking out a 2cm round section of the foam and keeping less pressure on my ears for less heavy bass. With these simple modifications I would be happy with them and my JH13's.

Jan 4, 2010 at 7:59 AM Post #143 of 174
I just bought a pair of Portapro's from best buy last week and must say im amazed at the sound quality, granted I have them hooked up to a non-amplified source (Logitech Z5500 PC audio) They actually sound better than my Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro's (80ohm) but im sure thats mainly due to amplification issues(?)

Anyhow, for the price ..these Koss phones' are very impressive!
9492391_ra.jpg

Jan 4, 2010 at 8:08 AM Post #144 of 174
my PP 25th + grado comfies ^__^

65140125.jpg

Jan 4, 2010 at 9:56 AM Post #145 of 174
Quote:

Originally Posted by mathesar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They actually sound better than my Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro's (80ohm) but im sure thats mainly due to amplification issues(?)

I would prefer listening to music through Porta Pros over DT-770 at any time from any source - anywhere that does not need sound issolation
smile.gif

Jan 4, 2010 at 9:01 PM Post #146 of 174
I just got a pair from Bestbuy as well. They don't sound as good as my IE8s. Do these need to burn-in as well? I don't hear the bass everyone else is talking about...

Jan 5, 2010 at 5:36 AM Post #147 of 174
Quote:

Originally Posted by ceekay84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got a pair from Bestbuy as well. They don't sound as good as my IE8s. Do these need to burn-in as well? I don't hear the bass everyone else is talking about...

The bass here is controlled and punchy when called on. They do an ample job on songs that require strong bass. When you buy the porta pro you are not buying for the booming bass. You are buying for the mids, highs and the ability to separate instruments. Just listen to all the detail when you have them on.

Jan 5, 2010 at 8:30 AM Post #148 of 174
Quote:

Originally Posted by ceekay84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sounds strange!? I remember them having great bass right from the beginning. They might not be as detailed as IE8 but should certainly have bigger bass. Something could be wrong. Maybe you should utilize the Lifetime Warranty KOSS offers and try a new pair.

Jan 6, 2010 at 1:45 PM Post #149 of 174
Pretty surprised that this thread still manages to live to this day! Thanks to those who appreciated the review.

My 25th LE is still going strong along with my regular pair as well, and still liking the sound! Though was abit upset about the resemblance of the best buy edition which stole some thunder from the LE heh.

Btw, ceekay84. Out of curiousity, what's the level of the bass knob you had set on the IE8?

Jan 6, 2010 at 11:11 PM Post #150 of 174
Quote:

Originally Posted by Whenesday /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Btw, ceekay84. Out of curiousity, what's the level of the bass knob you had set on the IE8?

Minimum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back