KOSS PortaPro 25th Anniversary Edition [Photos + Review]
Jun 29, 2009 at 1:38 PM Post #106 of 174
I got one of the limited editions and it really is a sweet gem and collectors item. My kids has the original versions for their Nintendo DS and Portable DVD's - Daddy has the limited edition now
wink_face.gif

web.jpg

Jul 12, 2009 at 9:39 AM Post #107 of 174
I've got PortaPro Ltd also...
And in my opinion, it sounded better than normal PortaPro...
The bass after break-in are not muddy (40+ hours), unlike the normal one...

Aug 13, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #108 of 174
sorry i didn't read through this thread, but I bought the PortaPro's today and didn't realize this was out. what are the differences between the two? anything worth the extra cost? the portapro's cost me $40

Aug 13, 2009 at 3:17 AM Post #109 of 174
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brohken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sorry i didn't read through this thread, but I bought the PortaPro's today and didn't realize this was out. what are the differences between the two? anything worth the extra cost? the portapro's cost me $40

Sentimental value, a different cable, a nice box, different color, and a coin....To me it was some kind of tribute to one of the best portable headphones that have endured for 25 years plus...for me it was worthy every penny, I love the PortaPro for what it is, and I think that it still offers a very good value for the ones who are looking for a decent portable....
wink.gif

Aug 13, 2009 at 5:28 AM Post #110 of 174
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sentimental value, a different cable, a nice box, different color, and a coin....To me it was some kind of tribute to one of the best portable headphones that have endured for 25 years plus...for me it was worthy every penny, I love the PortaPro for what it is, and I think that it still offers a very good value for the ones who are looking for a decent portable....
wink.gif

thanks but if the sound is the same I don't think it's worth it. at least not for me. no need for a koss branded coin.

Aug 13, 2009 at 5:34 AM Post #111 of 174
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brohken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks but if the sound is the same I don't think it's worth it. at least not for me. no need for a koss branded coin.

Then do not get it, just get a Grado RS lower model for about the same price, and suffer the sound...

Aug 13, 2009 at 5:35 AM Post #112 of 174
Quote:

wink.gif

I agree with that. I haven't purchased one of these but I have two PortaPros (the older version) and once I did a few changes, to me, the sound is transcends the money paid. They really do throw a nice soundstage and are just plain fun to listen to.

Aug 13, 2009 at 7:03 AM Post #113 of 174
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with that. I haven't purchased one of these but I have two PortaPros (the older version) and once I did a few changes, to me, the sound is transcends the money paid. They really do throw a nice soundstage and are just plain fun to listen to.

Absolutely agree. These headphones are a bargain. Just too bad my 25th ED got run over by a car during the summer
mad.gif

But KOSS promised me to replace the broken parts for at very little price. NOW THAT is customer service. Another reason I will stay loyal to this brand. Who else would take pride in repairing such a "cheap" product and doping it almost with love.

Aug 13, 2009 at 11:00 AM Post #114 of 174
any stores with these that ship worldwide? I just heard some portapros today for the first time and I was very impressed! much better sounding than Grado 325is to me hehehe
biggrin.gif

Aug 13, 2009 at 1:00 PM Post #115 of 174
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
any stores with these that ship worldwide? I just heard some portapros today for the first time and I was very impressed! much better sounding than Grado 325is to me hehehe
biggrin.gif

For the price yes - and maybe if Hip Hop is the only music you listen to. But other than that I wouldn't agree completely
wink_face.gif

Aug 13, 2009 at 9:44 PM Post #116 of 174
Quote:

Then do not get it, just get a Grado RS lower model for about the same price, and suffer the sound...

since when did Grado RS cost $40? I'm confused by what you're trying to tell me.

Nov 1, 2009 at 10:26 PM Post #118 of 174
Nov 3, 2009 at 1:21 AM Post #119 of 174
Quote:

Originally Posted by Makaveli6103 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Best But now carries Koss Portapros. I went and got a pair today and they are the black/silver 25th Anniversary color but come in the regular package.

Are you 100% sure, that it is the 25 Anniversary Edition? Would you mind to post pictures, sorry to ask you that, but I was one of the ones who paid premium prices for the "Limited Edition" and i feel really bad if this is true, to the point that I called fist them and the lady over the phone was really rude, and impolite, denying all responsibility, and arguing that they can not compete with their dealers, what for me was completely absurd, so I emailed them, expecting a little more luck, and all I got was this "professional typical" answer back:

"...The Porta Pro that you purchased at Best Buy was our standard Porta Pro that we sell on our web site for $49.99. Best Buy currently is selling them for the sale price of $39.99. This is a black version of our standard Porta Pro - it is not the 25th Anniversary edition, which has limited distribution and is available for $79.99 and comes with a commemorative coin, leather carrying case and in a black gift box. The Best Buy version that you purchased was blister packed and did not come with the other items. The picture that Best Buy on their web site is wrong - the silver band around the ear cup should not say "25th Anniversary" - we have contacted them and they are changing it. We have also confirmed with our sales department and have been told that the 25th Anniversary edition of the Porta Pro was never sold to Best Buy.

I am sorry for any confusion that this has caused..."

Honestly, I do not trust that answer completelly, specially after the argument over the phone with that lady, and the fact that they have done that before with the Portapro2 which they sold on Circuit City for a lower price awhile back...but if we can at least post an evidence of that they are the same, at least they will have no other option that accept the fact...BTW the carrying pouch is not leather, but cheap pleather, and the only use I found for it, was to carry the quarters for the parking meters on my car, as the headphones do not even fit properly here...BTW I will stop tomorrow by the Secaucus store in NJ, to see if i can grab one with the inscription on it, IIRC I recall they have it...

Here is the Best Buy picture, not sure for how long will be up there....
wink.gif

9492391_ra.jpg

Nov 3, 2009 at 1:29 AM Post #120 of 174
I didn't purchase them because I have more than enough cans and as much as I loved my portapros, I prefer the sportapros for running and working out since they stay on (I know I can pop the drivers onto the sporta headband, but I have more than enough cans).

BUT I CAN confirm even though 25th anniversary isn't printed on them, it uses the same materials and has the black/silver drivers along with the braided cable. Looks like the 25th anniversary + portapro 2s mixed together. Definitely the same damn thing, though, minus the 25th anniversary printing on the side. The braided cable is most of the reason I'd go for these. I've had a ton of koss cans die on me because of the shoddy cabling. I know, lifetime warranty, but waiting for a new set sucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back