Koss Porta Pro Wireless Review
May 2, 2018 at 9:49 AM Post #17 of 39
Can Joe or someone PLEASE confirm that the drivers can be snapped off, so I could attach them to the KSC75 clips? Both the Sportapro and Portapro can do this. Just wanna make 100% certain the wireless stuff isn't on the headband itself. This would make the Portapro wireless, my fave headphone of ALL TIME, if so. Wireless version of this is all I could ever ask for.
The PortaPro Wireless's headband system is physically identical to the PortaPro's. They use the same pop-in mounting system for the earpieces, so if you could do that with the old PortaPro you should have no trouble doing it with the Wireless. There's some added weight from the battery pack, so you could notice that the left side weighs down on the ear more than the right with your proposed modification.

May 2, 2018 at 9:59 AM Post #18 of 39
There's some added weight from the battery pack, so you could notice that the left side weighs down on the ear more than the right with your proposed modification.

I weighed @AxelCloris' wired Porta Pro at 66g. My Porta Pro Wireless is 70g. It's a pretty minimal difference, but yeah -- it makes sense that there would be a slight difference if you do that mod.

May 2, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #19 of 39
It's not to have a cable or attached cord, a LOT of small housed/driver wireless products like the LG Tone or Apple iBeats have cables that sit on your neck. There's also some kind of Japan Exclusive LDAC dongle that also sits on your neck and has a 3.5mm plug in I think or something I dunno

Either way based on what others in the industry are doing... the little neck dangling cable isn't uncommon on smaller products. I only wish it was a smidgen longer but who knows, maybe comfort wise it does just fine though my neck is kinda thick. Still I might even get a pair of these to replace my Corded MassDrop Porta Pro [which also have the inLine Mic +CableControls]
I don't have a problem with wires on bluetooth devices, but that wire looks pretty bulky.

May 2, 2018 at 6:43 PM Post #20 of 39
I don't have a problem with wires on bluetooth devices, but that wire looks pretty bulky.

I don't notice the wire, but I don't do a ton of crazy head movement when I'm at the office either. (I'm largely in front of a computer, and not needing to do any fast left-right movement, or god forbid I verb and run...) I've had these things on my head almost non-stop at the office, as @AxelCloris can attest. Obviously, though, everyone is different, and it might be too bulky for you.

And I know people have a concern with the wire, but it keeps the controls and mic where I can easily use them without changing the Porta Pro aesthetic. (Note: I do wear the cable in the front. ) but Wireless is referring to not being connected to the source. :) Anyway, I liked the wired Porta Pro, and I've obviously been digging the Porta Pro Wireless too.

May 2, 2018 at 10:41 PM Post #21 of 39
I don't notice the wire, but I don't do a ton of crazy head movement when I'm at the office either. (I'm largely in front of a computer, and not needing to do any fast left-right movement, or god forbid I verb and run...) I've had these things on my head almost non-stop at the office, as @AxelCloris can attest. Obviously, though, everyone is different, and it might be too bulky for you.

And I know people have a concern with the wire, but it keeps the controls and mic where I can easily use them without changing the Porta Pro aesthetic. (Note: I do wear the cable in the front. ) but Wireless is referring to not being connected to the source. :) Anyway, I liked the wired Porta Pro, and I've obviously been digging the Porta Pro Wireless too.

honestly I don't really even notice the wire with the Classic Corded ProtaPro xMD that I have [which has the mic controls] so I'm sure others using this likely won't notice it as much as they fear they will

Jun 17, 2018 at 1:08 AM Post #22 of 39
2vuh3r7.jpg

Just in case anyone was wondering like me, yes it works. You can make it even more portable by snapping the drivers off and attaching the KSC75 or KSC35 clips.

This is why I say having a wire is a huge benefit as opposed to having all the mechanics on the headband.

Jun 17, 2018 at 1:34 AM Post #23 of 39
2vuh3r7.jpg
Just in case anyone was wondering like me, yes it works. You can make it even more portable by snapping the drivers off and attaching the KSC75 or KSC35 clips.

This is why I say having a wire is a huge benefit as opposed to having all the mechanics on the headband.

As shown, that's with the KSC75 clips, correct?

Jun 17, 2018 at 3:51 AM Post #24 of 39
Jun 17, 2018 at 9:40 AM Post #25 of 39
2vuh3r7.jpg

I could do this. Does it lighten the overall headphone effect. Weight-wise?

Jun 17, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #26 of 39
I could do this. Does it lighten the overall headphone effect. Weight-wise?
Portapros in general don't weigh anything, but we're talking basically just two drivers and nothing else now. So it goes from lightweight to even more lightweight.

The main benefit I take from it is that the headphones won't move at all now regardless of what you do. You can put your head down in a pillow in any way, etc.

Its perfect for stuff like exercising too. Though as usual I always, ALWAYS suggest bending the clips inward so the drivers press up against the ears, since the KSC75 clips by default are super loose and separated from the drivers, where you lose the firm fit and most of the sound quality.

When people complain that the KSC75 has no bass and is too tinny, it's because there is a tremendous gap between the ears and the drivers, unless as stated you bend the clips inward.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2018 at 3:43 AM Post #28 of 39
These may be my replacement for my Koss BT539iw, which aren't very good but I wanted to go wireless and never looked back. Being as my KSC35s are my favorite headphones overall of all time, I'm sure I'll be picking these up.
I'm looking at a loadout of Koss BT221i for workouts (cheap and disposable, but not in-ear like so many), and Koss Porta Pro Wireless for PC/phone. I've been using LG Tones for years when I leave the house and expecting a call, and I'll probably keep a set of those around, just hate the in-ear part of those.

I had a pair of Koss from Radioshack in the 80s and they sounded really good for the price, I wouldn't say I'm brand loyal but I definitely look to them first. I love their 60ohm driver based products. Unless you need noise canceling I don't know why I'd bother with anything else! I can't even keep track of how many headphones I've bought and returned due to being letdown.. PortaPro based products will definitely never let you down at the price.

Nov 16, 2018 at 6:33 AM Post #29 of 39
These may be my replacement for my Koss BT539iw, which aren't very good but I wanted to go wireless and never looked back. Being as my KSC35s are my favorite headphones overall of all time, I'm sure I'll be picking these up.
I'm looking at a loadout of Koss BT221i for workouts (cheap and disposable, but not in-ear like so many), and Koss Porta Pro Wireless for PC/phone. I've been using LG Tones for years when I leave the house and expecting a call, and I'll probably keep a set of those around, just hate the in-ear part of those.

I had a pair of Koss from Radioshack in the 80s and they sounded really good for the price, I wouldn't say I'm brand loyal but I definitely look to them first. I love their 60ohm driver based products. Unless you need noise canceling I don't know why I'd bother with anything else! I can't even keep track of how many headphones I've bought and returned due to being letdown.. PortaPro based products will definitely never let you down at the price.
Yep. I'm about 8 years in on my current pair, and although I have many other headphones, these still get plenty of head time. Love them.

May 6, 2019 at 11:58 AM Post #30 of 39
It looks to me like the Koss BT221i has the same drivers (or at least driver family) as the PortaPro, KSC 75, etc. Can someone confirm? I have KTXPro1 and KSC75s (and Grados, Sennheisers, Etymotic, etc. etc.) and have to admit that the convenience of Bluetooth is tempting, even if it's not the ultimate in sound quality. Can someone confirm that the BT221i drivers are related?
Thanks,
Pete

P.S. On Amazon I see a review that says the sound is considerably worse than the PortaPro/KSC35/KSC75, so maybe it's best to live with a wire. Any other experience/opinions?

P.P.S. I also see Massdrop has a KSC75X, with different cosmetics and adds a button and mic, for pennies more than the regular 75. Now if my stupid iPhone had a regular headphone jack......

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back