Koss Porta Pro Wireless Review
May 6, 2019 at 5:10 PM Post #31 of 39
It looks to me like the Koss BT221i has the same drivers (or at least driver family) as the PortaPro, KSC 75, etc. Can someone confirm? I have KTXPro1 and KSC75s (and Grados, Sennheisers, Etymotic, etc. etc.) and have to admit that the convenience of Bluetooth is tempting, even if it's not the ultimate in sound quality. Can someone confirm that the BT221i drivers are related?
Thanks,
Pete

P.S. On Amazon I see a review that says the sound is considerably worse than the PortaPro/KSC35/KSC75, so maybe it's best to live with a wire. Any other experience/opinions?

P.P.S. I also see Massdrop has a KSC75X, with different cosmetics and adds a button and mic, for pennies more than the regular 75. Now if my stupid iPhone had a regular headphone jack......

That might be my review on Amazon.. I had the 221is, they are not the same drivers. They're terrible all around, and I had problems with my pair connecting to BT. For BT at home as a longtime Koss fan, I'd go PortaPro Wireless or bust. Beats are going to be superior in a lot of ways for BT, but won't get them for $80. I'd put money up that the PortaPro wireless sounds better (not that Beats sound bad anymore). For calls on the go and general practicality, the LG Tones HBS-835S is tough to beat.

Right now that's what I have on hand for wireless, HBS-835S, and I tend to reach for my Koss BT539iw at my desk (which don't sound that great but have a lot of great features for traveling like the 3.5mm pass-through to a second set of headphones, which helps with using the same iOS device with another person). I don't have the PortaPro Wireless yet, kind of hoping for a redesign, they're pretty odd. Main reason to pick them up is that Koss wisely allows you to put the drivers into KSC35/75 clips. That's probably how I'd end up using a pair, snapping the drivers into the my KSC35 hardware.

May 6, 2019 at 6:19 PM Post #32 of 39
That might be my review on Amazon.. I had the 221is, they are not the same drivers. They're terrible all around, and I had problems with my pair connecting to BT. For BT at home as a longtime Koss fan, I'd go PortaPro Wireless or bust. Beats are going to be superior in a lot of ways for BT, but won't get them for $80. I'd put money up that the PortaPro wireless sounds better (not that Beats sound bad anymore). For calls on the go and general practicality, the LG Tones HBS-835S is tough to beat.

Right now that's what I have on hand for wireless, HBS-835S, and I tend to reach for my Koss BT539iw at my desk (which don't sound that great but have a lot of great features for traveling like the 3.5mm pass-through to a second set of headphones, which helps with using the same iOS device with another person). I don't have the PortaPro Wireless yet, kind of hoping for a redesign, they're pretty odd. Main reason to pick them up is that Koss wisely allows you to put the drivers into KSC35/75 clips. That's probably how I'd end up using a pair, snapping the drivers into the my KSC35 hardware.
Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I was hoping to avoid going all the way for the PortaPro Wireless, but with the idea of putting them into the KSC clips I’m more intrigued than I was. So thanks for spending more of my money! :wink:
Once again, I appreciate the time and effort in letting me know your experience.
Pete

May 6, 2019 at 6:46 PM Post #33 of 39
It looks to me like the Koss BT221i has the same drivers (or at least driver family) as the PortaPro, KSC 75, etc. Can someone confirm? I have KTXPro1 and KSC75s (and Grados, Sennheisers, Etymotic, etc. etc.) and have to admit that the convenience of Bluetooth is tempting, even if it's not the ultimate in sound quality. Can someone confirm that the BT221i drivers are related?
Thanks,
Pete

P.S. On Amazon I see a review that says the sound is considerably worse than the PortaPro/KSC35/KSC75, so maybe it's best to live with a wire. Any other experience/opinions?

P.P.S. I also see Massdrop has a KSC75X, with different cosmetics and adds a button and mic, for pennies more than the regular 75. Now if my stupid iPhone had a regular headphone jack......
The Radsone ES100 would cure all your problems.

Sep 21, 2020 at 6:08 PM Post #37 of 39
1600726037547.png

Saw that these were never mentioned after the realization that the 221i was the lower driver. There has been a wireless KSC35 for some time.

Sep 21, 2020 at 7:19 PM Post #38 of 39
I have those, and I recommend you get the PortaPro wireless instead and using the KSC75's clips on them by availing the drivers off the headband and attaching them to the clips.

The get 12 hours battery, while KSC35 wireless only gets about 6.

Sep 21, 2020 at 7:36 PM Post #39 of 39
That might depend on what you want and where you are coming from. If you want to spend less you might not want to get the PP wireless plus the KSC for close to double if you add both in since not everyone has the 75 to use the clips.

I don't want the two pods so, yes a second pod gives double the battery, I would only want to deal with the one I couldn't get away from but not the second if I don't have to. 6 would be fine and I would have a charge case so it would not really matter. Also, while I might be in the minority, I like the 35 clips better than the 75 clips.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back