Koss KSC75's. Dont Forget This Giant Killer in all the ''Hidden Gem'' Hype.
Nov 30, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #1,336 of 1,439
Looking for a PortaPro headband cushion suggestion. I just acquired a set with the boom mic and added a usb adapter so now I can have a high fidelity business communication headset for work. I can listen to long boring meetings and have good quality music playback at the same time. Blows any business headset out of the water and there are no gaming headsets that are this light and comfy.

My general approach to the PortaPro headband is to get it adjusted (about a 1" gap between the sliders) and use black electrical tape to freeze it at that size. I also wrap tape around the plastic buttons. This eliminates any head scratching or hair pulling (not that there is much to pull...). Add a set of Yaxi pads (PURPLE!) and life is perfect...or is it?

I have never worn this headset for the type of extended wear that it is now getting and I am looking for more comfort. Has there been a documented solution that emulates something like the 4part "bumps" of a Sennheiser HD-600 or something similar? This would take these to next level. I even thought about adapting a set of the Koss temple pads but they are too stiff for the application.
Cursory google search leads to many unproductive threads. Rather than chasing rabbits I figured I should ask here, "the Source". :dt880smile:

Nov 30, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #1,337 of 1,439
Dec 1, 2021 at 2:29 AM Post #1,339 of 1,439
Guys? Has anyone seen differences going balanced with the 75s? Especially with the BTR5? I ordered an mmcxed pair from our friend @Zerousen yesterday to use with my balanced Fiio LC-RC cable. I hope the angled mmcx connectors of the cable sit well with the headphones...

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2021 at 10:22 AM Post #1,340 of 1,439
Hi, I don't know if this is the right section, hopefully it is.

I'm trying to solder a KZ Aptx Bluetooth adapter on my KSC75, but I encountered something I wasn't expecting.

PXL_20211208_150522939.jpg

As you can see, the adapter (on the left) has 4 wires meanwhile the Koss only has 2.

Which one I need to solder?

edit: nevermind, I trashed the driver while trying to desolder the old wires.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2021 at 12:14 AM Post #1,342 of 1,439
You posted this two years ago... How'd the Sharpie oil painted KSC75's turn out?
Actually, great! They're still totally black and that is after heavy use. HOWEVER some black rubbed off on my Yaxi pads. Not a lot but thought I should mention it.

Jan 11, 2022 at 4:06 PM Post #1,344 of 1,439
Hey guys, I have a problem and I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas or solutions for it.
I have 9 pairs of KSC-75's and KSC-35's where the plastic "tabs" that attach to the ear clips or headband have worn off to the point where they do not stay attached to clips, or a headband anymore. My most recent pair of KSC-35's lasted TWO WEEKS before this happened.
They're cheap headphones, the cost of replacing them is no big deal, but I don't like making e-waste.
These are the only decent headphones I have found that I can comfortably wear all day due to an injury to my skull (using the parts express headband) most headphones have too much clamping force on the side of my head, and IEM's don't agree with the injury either. Permanent, not temporary so I need a solution.
I've ordered a few headbands and they all seem to damage the right ear upper tab quickly.

Two questions:
Any ideas on how to repair these tabs, or is there a way to replace the entire housing with something more durable? I've seen 3d print files but I question the durability if I'm already having issues.
Any alternatives to the Parts Express headband I should try out, that might not damage my ear tabs as quickly?
Not a huge fan of portapro/sportapro bands, tried 'em. They solve the damage issue but don't meet my comfort needs sadly.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2022 at 4:18 PM Post #1,345 of 1,439
Hey guys, I have a problem and I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas or solutions for it.
I have 9 pairs of KSC-75's and KSC-35's where the plastic "tabs" that attach to the ear clips or headband have worn off to the point where they do not stay attached to clips, or a headband anymore. My most recent pair of KSC-35's lasted TWO WEEKS before this happened.
They're cheap headphones, the cost of replacing them is no big deal, but I don't like making e-waste.
I know this is not what you want to hear, but maybe send them to Koss with their lifetime waranty and have them replaced? Send one or two to them to test the waters. I've used their lifetime warranty twice successfully.

If you don't want to send them to Koss, you can try padding up the tab area with some tinfoil if you have enough plastic left in the socket. I've done this for a loose headband that isn't the Parts Xpress one. This will not last though, but it's a cheap way to temporarily get your ear clips or headband working.

Jan 11, 2022 at 4:23 PM Post #1,346 of 1,439
After 5 years of more music listening than I have ever listened in my 43 years of living and a few well regarded iems, headphones and speakers later, plus lots of experience of listening to HiFi and HiEnd systems, plus countless hours of reading and watching hundreds of other opinions on the matter, I have come to a point we're I can say I enjoy music through my phone, BTR5 and KSC75s on a headband more than anything else and they rarely leave my head nowadays. Not saying they sound better than anything else. Just that I enjoy them more than anything and will sell most of the rest soon. 🍻 Long live Koss!
I feel the same way. Chasing the dragon for the best headphone can be too much work (as well as costly!) and oftentimes that headphone is bulky and uncomfortable for long-listening sessions.

The KSC75s on a headband just works. No fatigue, lightweight, can leave them on all day and are easily replaceable if they break (I already have a bunch of 75 backups!).

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2022 at 4:31 PM Post #1,347 of 1,439
I know this is not what you want to hear, but maybe send them to Koss with their lifetime waranty and have them replaced? Send one or two to them to test the waters. I've used their lifetime warranty twice successfully.

If you don't want to send them to Koss, you can try padding up the tab area with some tinfoil if you have enough plastic left in the socket. I've done this for a loose headband that isn't the Parts Xpress one. This will not last though, but it's a cheap way to temporarily get your ear clips or headband working.

Trying to come up with a better solution than returning so I can mmcx mod a pair and not have to worry about that messing with the warranty or redoing it every time I get a replacement. The stock cord is a real achilles heel on these.
Does shimming it with foil like that make the headband noisy? I was thinking about trying something like that with shrinkwrap type material.

Jan 11, 2022 at 4:32 PM Post #1,348 of 1,439
I feel the same way. Chasing the dragon for the best headphone can be too much work (as well as costly!) and oftentimes that headphone is bulky and uncomfortable for long-listening sessions.

The KSC75s on a headband just works. No fatigue, lightweight, can leave them on all day and are easily replaceable if they break (I already have a bunch of 75 backups!).
Chasing the dragon... like all those ChiFi fans reading audio reviews/discussion instead of listening to music with headphones... smart ones read the reviews listening to music. Lol.

Have you tried Plantronics or Grado S Cushion earpads with your KSC75's? Is that the only model you like!?

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2022 at 4:40 PM Post #1,349 of 1,439
These are the only decent headphones I have found that I can comfortably wear all day due to an injury to my skull (using the parts express headband) most headphones have too much clamping force on the side of my head, and IEM's don't agree with the injury either. Permanent, not temporary so I need a solution.
I've ordered a few headbands and they all seem to damage the right ear upper tab quickly.

Two questions:
Any ideas on how to repair these tabs, or is there a way to replace the entire housing with something more durable? I've seen 3d print files but I question the durability if I'm already having issues.
Any alternatives to the Parts Express headband I should try out, that might not damage my ear tabs as quickly?
Not a huge fan of portapro/sportapro bands, tried 'em. They solve the damage issue but don't meet my comfort needs sadly.

My temporary bandaid solution (which I've been using for years lol) involves a rubber band. Find a thick rubber band, cut a small piece of it out, and place it over the tab on the driver. Then align it properly with the headband clip and push it in. For me, the driver stays in quite well (until the rubber band wears out).

Make the rubber band piece smaller than the one shown below (the white stuff on the driver is just paint lol):

20220111_133255_resized.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back