Koss KSC75's. Dont Forget This Giant Killer in all the ''Hidden Gem'' Hype.
Nov 3, 2020 at 4:49 AM Post #1,261 of 1,437
My KSC75 arrived a few days ago. I was keeping my expectations in check to not give in to unwarranted hype, but they're a good bit better than I expected. I can also confirm that the Hama Basic4music headband on the EU amazons fits just fine.

I did somehow manage to break off a bit of the little nub on the drivers that clicks into the headband, probably when removing them from the original earpieces. This makes it so the left driver does click into the headband and stays there, but it's very easy to pop it out. The right driver that wasn't damaged is in there super securely though, it was even kinda difficult to get it in. Not a big deal, but still a bit annoying.

Nov 3, 2020 at 2:51 PM Post #1,263 of 1,437
I don't have the rounded style headband to compare, but I think it's really comfortable, and I have a larger head. Fully extended the headband is just right for me.
Yeah, after my initial disappointment with it being different, I think it may be even more comfortable while still applying an appropriate amount of pressure.

Nov 3, 2020 at 3:48 PM Post #1,264 of 1,437
My KSC75 arrived a few days ago. I was keeping my expectations in check to not give in to unwarranted hype, but they're a good bit better than I expected. I can also confirm that the Hama Basic4music headband on the EU amazons fits just fine.

I did somehow manage to break off a bit of the little nub on the drivers that clicks into the headband, probably when removing them from the original earpieces. This makes it so the left driver does click into the headband and stays there, but it's very easy to pop it out. The right driver that wasn't damaged is in there super securely though, it was even kinda difficult to get it in. Not a big deal, but still a bit annoying.
Hey man, thanks for the info, got an infinite supply of those cheap ass Hama headphones here where I live :) They fit KSC75 perfectly!

Nov 7, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #1,265 of 1,437
How come tamborines sounds good with these, while cymbal splashes sounds wierd and smeared? Anybody else finds the cymbals a bit wierd especially when there are multiple instruments playing? its the only instrument I find that sounds lucklaster with the ksc75s

Nov 10, 2020 at 8:50 PM Post #1,266 of 1,437
I'll be swapping between the KSC75s and my Skullcandy Grinds (I know, Skullcandy doesn't have a good reputation here but these are legit, especially for sub $20 open box you can get on eBay).
I actually returned the Grind after 1 day. Didn't really dig the sound signature.

Is it impossible to find an IEM that matches the airiness of ksc75 vocals presentation?

edit: with my all iems experience, havent find anything yet. Maybe kse1200 has that airiness but I hardly recall it, the one thing that i remember, even it is very airy, the vocals are little bit thin
I'm also on the lookout for IEMs matching the KSC75 signature. Have you found one since your last post? Bonus points if wireless!

Got a picture? Always interesting to see new headband combinations with the 75s!

Nov 11, 2020 at 7:31 AM Post #1,267 of 1,437
I actually returned the Grind after 1 day. Didn't really dig the sound signature.

I'm also on the lookout for IEMs matching the KSC75 signature. Have you found one since your last post? Bonus points if wireless!

Got a picture? Always interesting to see new headband combinations with the 75s!
Sadly no. Haven't found anything near to it yet. Probably due to open back. Isine20 can be good as well.

Nov 13, 2020 at 8:02 AM Post #1,268 of 1,437
Ask and you shall recieve. Others might be able to say if these are just rebranded partsexpress headbands or if they're something different.
IMG_20201113_135713.jpg
IMG_20201113_135805.jpg
IMG_20201113_135725.jpg

Nov 13, 2020 at 5:00 PM Post #1,270 of 1,437
Nov 15, 2020 at 11:46 AM Post #1,271 of 1,437
Been a while since I have posted on this thread. Things have come and gone but I keep coming back to the KSC75 and basic Grados (SR80e). They share a commonality of midrange presentation, endless opportunity for modification, and a bang for the buck that far exceeds their selling price.

After a lot of playing around I have found, for myself – ymmv, that the drilling of the KSC75 cover plate stops at a pseudo clover leaf. Anything beyond that may alter, but for me, will not subjectively improve the sound. This configuration really optimizes the bass and even outs the overall tonal balance. Whereas I have found that my preference on PortaPro drivers is to leave the plate stock.

Lots of pad experimentation. Quarter mods, reverse quarter mods, Grado flats ('comfies”) on top of the stock Koss pads, Grado L-Cush on top of the stock Koss pads, Geekeria S-Cush replacements (which have a center hole) over the stock Koss pads. But the running config that has dominated is a set of Sennheiser HZP32 pads over the stock Koss pads. Until now.

GET THE YAXI PADS! End of. They are the solution. I got a set Friday and all other options are now obsolete. Immediately ordered more. I only regret that I don't like any of the colors other than black...except the Acid Purple – that they do not make for the Koss. HOWEVER...they now make a Grado pad, somewhat an S-Cush, stiffer but also softer. For now they are my goto pads on the SR80e.

The other mods to the SR80e...vented the drivers. Stock there are two vent holes. I opened up three more per driver. LF response dramatically improved. Damped the ear cups and the back of the drivers with adhesive backed felt. Replaced the headband with a padded sheepskin band from Amazon. Screw Grado for not putting a padded headband on the 60/80/125 headphones. Cheap bastards. But still, these relatively inexpensive changes fundamentally change the comfort and SQ. Makes me less and less curious about trying a set of RS2e or Hemps. I mean I'm still curious, just not $400 curious.

A note on the headband. The current generation PE headband with the angled bend is, imho, superior to the earlier curved headband. It doesn't require that I tape it in place to set the position of the drivers and it stays put on my cranium better. As to the PP band (I keep a set of KSC75 on a PP band in the office) I find using electrical tape across the top to keep the size exactly where I need it eliminates all hair pulling issues (not that there is much there to be pulled...).

I have somewhat abandoned the base KSC75 for the MassDrop KSC75x, solely for the color. I much prefer the black to the stock silver. I did just recently try the KSC75x for phone use. Connected to a lightning adapter into my iPhone7 the inline mic works surprisingly well. The only control on it is to connect/disconnect the call, and that is fine. I have no issue using the phone to control mute and volume.

What I REALLY want is to convert the KSC75 to mmcx so I can use more robust cables but I have not been willing to instigate the surgery. Doesn't seem like there are any practiced hands selling it as a service. :frowning2:

dCy4mAy.jpg

tyc5Yzs.jpg

Dec 15, 2020 at 11:30 AM Post #1,274 of 1,437
I think Id like to turn my sportapro into a bluetooth pair, since I also have ksc75 on headband. Not sure how I'll do it though. An easy way would be attach a bluetooth dongle to the headband with a short cable. I really do like the headband when worn in the back of head position cuz I can't feel it at all and feels out of the way and very secure. I could use the dongle with other gear if I did it that way.

By the way I got some new pads for my ksc75 from here, they are big and thick but not quite as large as the yaxi judging by the pics. I think I will buy another set and do the coin mod with them just so less foam thus less friction which might make them a little less prone to getting hot or itchy, but they are pretty good as they are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back