Koss KSC75's. Dont Forget This Giant Killer in all the ''Hidden Gem'' Hype.
Apr 10, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #646 of 1,437
afbug, that is super helpful!

Yes, I'd be adding bubble wrap. That's going to be tight. It looks like it might be just about be do-able. It would be much more promising if Parts Express could ship me just the headband. I'm still waiting to hear if that's a possibility. 

Luckily, I'm not trying to make a living out of this.
Good research project to test the waters ... Findings so far ... they're murky and full of red tape and fees.

Thanks again, really useful.

C.

Apr 24, 2015 at 2:09 AM Post #647 of 1,437
Just a brief update.

So, it turns out that I can do the headband only option, BUT it means importing a very large quantity of these things - warehouse anyone?

Before I do such a stupid thing, I'm going to run a little trial. I'm going to run the trial based on the prices I could do if I imported a sickeningly large quantity of the headband only. My cost of goods is not finalised, since I don't have the shipping costs in yet (so I've had to estimate those - and I may be well out), but based on my estimate these are the current most likely prices I could do:

All prices inclusive of shipping and this is for the parts express headband only:

UK:

1 x Headband = £3.50 (ish)
2 x Headband = £5.20 - £5.50 (ish)

That's really my aim, to sell 2 x headbands for the same price that Parts Express sell 1 headphone for.

Over 2 units may push the price up as the package will likely go over 100g -- and who wants 3 anyway.

International (excluding US -- but including Canada & waynes world) :

1 x Headband = GBP 6.00 (ish)
2 x Headband = GBP 8.00 (ish)

Please don't quote me (yet) on these prices (they may have to go up - they won't go down much if at all -- unless they decide to ship for free), but this is what looks do-able.

As a point of reference, the Parts Express Amazon price for US (inclusive shipping - for the full headphone, which no one is interested in) is $7.94, which is approx: £5.40.

I'm going to set up a mini shop on my site (it will be a little cheaper from me direct), but also do this via eBay. Possibly Amazon UK at a later stage.

I wonder how niche this headband mod thing is? If it's like 100 enthusiastic people worldwide, I'm about to lose a good amount of money.

Anyone have any guesses, what the demand is?
Also, is there a definitive list of all the makes that are compatible with this headband?
Here are the ones I know of:

1. Koss KSC75
  2. Koss Porta Pro
  3. Koss Sporta Pro
  4. Yuin G1A
  5. Yuin G2A ?
  6. Koss KSC35 ?

Any more (also, have I got the bottom 2 right?)

Thanks for all your help. Greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

C.

Jun 24, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #648 of 1,437
First post and I'd just like to thank this forum. I've read many threads on here, sometimes just to see what gear is available that I can dream about.
Mostly to garner opinions,  reference details about headphones I'm thinking of getting, I was going to go down the in-ear route, I've only ever had the old style ear bud type, The reason being it's warm in this room and over ear headphones are like earmuffs for cold weather, a lot of sweat and discomfort.
I decided against in-ear but I will get a entry level decent set soon just to be sure, I didn't like the idea of the covers getting stuck in my ear or having things inserted into my ear.

So I chose the KSC75, because it would be cooler than having a headband or pleather against my ears.

I've ordered a DAC/headphone amp combo so this will improve what I'm already witnessing...

I received my Koss earphones today and the best word I can use to describe the sound is beautiful.

I come from a sound engineering background but I'm not really after transparent non coloured headphones, these strike a nice balance, they are fun and full of energy while remaining very detailed and responsive at all frequencies. Plus really cheap.

Jun 24, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #649 of 1,437
Double posting here.
I've seen the headband mod, I find these comfortable as is though, I ordered the Sporta pro and will order the Porta pro.
^
Introduction to my question and reason for the double post. is it fairly easy to attach two female jack outs to the clip on earphones so then I could just buy a strong cable and not have to worry about wires getting snagged? Instead of wiring a better cable to the drivers I'd rather be able to attach two sockets for a detachable cable.

Jun 25, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #650 of 1,437

Indeed.And the sportapro drivers are the same as the portapro drivers, so if you put them on the ksc75 ear clips, then you've suddenly got some ksc35's lol

I don't think the sportapro and portapro drivers are the same. I've removed both sets of drivers from the original headbands and attached them to partsexpress headbands and the portapro drivers are clearly darker and bassier. 

I have a strong preference for the ksc75 > sportapro > portapro drivers. 

KSC75 + PE headband are my primary headphones, with the SP drivers + PE getting good use, too. The portapro's? Not so much. 

I have the KTXPro1 coming in soon. 

The KSC75's modded or unmodded sound better than Grado 60e, egrado and Senn's Portapro rival (can't be bothered to check the model name/number right now). 

The (modded) 75's are hands down the best value in the headphone world. 

In some cases, you get what you pay for (Fiio's DAP lineup for example), but unless you want or need IEM's or closed headphones, the modded KSC75's are f'in' outstanding and offer perhaps the best price/performance ratio in hi fi electronics. 

Jul 19, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #652 of 1,437
Are there different versions of the ksc75? For example, my portapros have a small plug that fits into my iphone mophie case. I watched the koss video of the ksc75 and noticed what looked like a small straight plug. What I got was an L shaped plug. Does the straight plug exist on the ksc75? Is there any way to know this prior to buying?

Jul 19, 2015 at 11:38 PM Post #653 of 1,437
Are there different versions of the ksc75? For example, my portapros have a small plug that fits into my iphone mophie case. I watched the koss video of the ksc75 and noticed what looked like a small straight plug. What I got was an L shaped plug. Does the straight plug exist on the ksc75? Is there any way to know this prior to buying?

The Portapro's have a different driver than the KSC75.  It's a KSC35 driver used in the Sportapro's as well, but maybe quite not as similar as in the very original KSC35 setup..

The KSC75 and KSC35 drivers sounds and measure differently.  Best suggestion buy both and decide for yourself...

Jul 20, 2015 at 12:00 AM Post #654 of 1,437
I'm cool with the sound. I have the 3 current versions. Meaning, a pair of porta pro, sporta pro, and ksc75. I like them all a lot for outdoor workouts and walks to the grocery store etc. Even around the house. I take pair on every trip as well.

Just asking if the ksc75 comes with a straight thin plug (which is on my current version porta pros) rather than a bulky L shaped plug, which is what I ended up with.

Jul 20, 2015 at 2:56 AM Post #655 of 1,437
I purchased mulitple pair of KSC75's recently. They all come with L shaped plugs, not the small, thin straight ones.

I am extremely pleased with the KSC75 drivers paired with both the parts express headband and portapro headband.

Astonishing sound quality for the price. Paired with the Fiio X5, these modded headphones are absolutely brilliant.

My Grado SR80e's get very little headtime.

Jul 20, 2015 at 4:33 AM Post #657 of 1,437

I have several pair of Koss KSC75's and they each sound a little different. 

What does that fact have to do with the sportapro's and portapro's (and KSC35's for that matter) sharing the same driver? Or is that just an FYI? I would guess that something so cheaply made probably doesn't have the tightest manufacturing tolerances to keep costs down. If your KSC75's all sound slightly different then that would make sense.

Jul 20, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #660 of 1,437
I'm cool with the sound. I have the 3 current versions. Meaning, a pair of porta pro, sporta pro, and ksc75. I like them all a lot for outdoor workouts and walks to the grocery store etc. Even around the house. I take pair on every trip as well.

Just asking if the ksc75 comes with a straight thin plug (which is on my current version porta pros) rather than a bulky L shaped plug, which is what I ended up with.

I have porta pro's purchased last year and they also have L shaped plugs.

The KTX Pro1's have a straight plug.

edit: I don't understand your concern with a straight vs L shaped plug. The L shaped plug isn't particularly bulky; it's just L shaped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back