Koss KSC75's. Dont Forget This Giant Killer in all the ''Hidden Gem'' Hype.
May 4, 2013 at 4:08 AM Post #46 of 1,437
I think I've got all of the headphones I need at this point. I consistently enjoy open headphones, it seems. 

There seem to be certain inherent limitations to closed designs (lack of air flow), and IEM's (tiny drivers), which are always going to compromise sound quality. And of course, the cost to solve or minimize such problems drives the cost of these types designs through the roof. 

I still have to mod my sportapro's as well as my jvc 700's. Both of these are already excellent, IMO. I really wonder why people don't simply get these excellent headphones, perform some minimal modifications and call it a day. 

In the future, I will consider the grado sr60i's as well as the koss ksc 75's. I am quite happy with my current lineup of headphones and players however. 

May 11, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #47 of 1,437
I have had my KSC75s for a couple weeks now and its true love! haha these things are seriously awesome. Anyways, I like them so much that I ordered my mom a pair for mother's day. When I got them she thought they were really cool looking (go figure) and she said that they would be great for her work. She does medical transcription so she's listening to headphones all day and the headphones she has right now are absolutely terrible. So she got them yesterday (I ordered them from my dorm and had them sent to her with a happy mother's day message.) and she loves them! She was really surprised too so I'm feeling quite proud of myself for spreading the koss love!

May 11, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #48 of 1,437
Quote:
I have had my KSC75s for a couple weeks now and its true love! haha these things are seriously awesome. Anyways, I like them so much that I ordered my mom a pair for mother's day. When I got them she thought they were really cool looking (go figure) and she said that they would be great for her work. She does medical transcription so she's listening to headphones all day and the headphones she has right now are absolutely terrible. So she got them yesterday (I ordered them from my dorm and had them sent to her with a happy mother's day message.) and she loves them! She was really surprised too so I'm feeling quite proud of myself for spreading the koss love!

Oh Oh. Wait till she starts asking you for a headphone amp, and a dac, and a new source
biggrin.gif

May 12, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #50 of 1,437
Well well... look what arrived

Where are the sportapros? Why on my head of course!
beyersmile.png

May 13, 2013 at 6:34 AM Post #53 of 1,437
Sure.

Before:

After:

General Comments:
I like how they look with the KSC-75 drivers, the grey/silver accents give the sportapro an additional layer of interesting contrasting colour. Aesthetic improvement there for sure.

Test Method:

Since the intended purpose of this test was to be a quick comparison, the KSC-75 drivers were compared to the KSC-35 drivers out of the iPhone 4S at a matched volume output (exactly the same).

The combinations tested are:
SportaPro Stock (KSC-35 drivers)
SportaPro with KSC-75 drivers
KSC-75 Stock

SportaPro Stock

Out of the box, they remind me of the Heir Audio 8.A. Mind you, the technical capability of the 8.A. is some orders of magnitude higher, such as detail retrieval and general speed. However the treble presentation is very similar. We have the "speakers behind you" approach where there is not enough treble sharpness and certain instruments do not sound natural and true to life (e.g. cymbals and the "ss" in voices). The KSC-35 drivers do however, shine with an upfront and live midrange and strong bass for the driver size. The bass quantity and low end attack are quite commendable, and moreso compared to the KSC-75 with sportapro headband and KSC-75 stock. However, the bass has got a bit of a flab to it (boom) and is not as tight and clean compared to the KSC-75.

KSC-75 Stock

I have owned the KSC-75 previously for over a decade until they decided to give up on me this year. So I had purchased another set for the love of my first real experience into high-"er" quality sound. The differences between the classic KSC-75 and the new one are mainly in the plug which has gone from being angled to a straight plug. The rest remains the same thankfully. In terms of the sound, its the good old KSC-75 sound we all love, bright, upfront mids, strong low end attack, clean bass quantity, sharp but relatively tame treble. As a classic, I don't need to review the sound in-depth, but the sound is enjoyable having bent the clips for a tighter fit.

SportaPro with KSC-75 Drivers

It definately sounds like a refined stock SportaPro. The key differences are the cleaner overall presentation. Tighter bass, with crisp treble are the defining attributes. I had also noted more natural tonality in voices. Compared to the stock KSC-75, the headband adds a magnitude higher (I can't quantify this with numbers lol) amount of bass quantity (still slightly less than KSC-35 drivers) and improves the attack transients. The additional pressure of the drivers to the ears appears to be responsible for this. In addition, there is an improved sense of ambience. Airyness remains very similar to the stock KSC-75. If I were to summarise, it can be considered as a KSC-75 with more bass without sacrificing the core and stock sound.

I might also like to add that you can actually bend the stock KSC-75 clips to get more bass, but comfort and fit suffer from this, and the clips loosen up over time (in my decade of experience or so lol)

The comfort of the sportapro headphone is higher than the stock clips that came with the KSC-75. A notable feature of the sportapro headband is its ability to transform into a "behind the head" form factor, so that it doesn't mess up your fancy hairstyle.

What I enjoyed most?

Definately the sportapro headband with KSC-75 drivers. The comfort of the headband and the cleaner presentation of the KSC-75 are a good combination. Whilst the KSC-35 drivers have more bass quantity at the expense of some overall clarity, I have found the stock sportapro to be enjoyable as well with certain genres of music.

May 13, 2013 at 7:55 AM Post #54 of 1,437
Such an awesome review, greatly appreciated. :)

Do you run these headphones unamped? I ask because our experiences differ just a bit. I think with a Fiio E6, the sportapro's definitely sound a bit warmer and brighter. A quarter mod can enhance this effect as well.

I'm also wondering if you've EQ'ed either the portapro's or sportapro's. I EQ the portapro's with a +1.5/+1 boost in the highs and a -1.5/-1 drop in the bass, and the result is pretty darn sweet without having to fiddle around with mods. 

May 13, 2013 at 8:14 AM Post #55 of 1,437
Quote:
Such an awesome review, greatly appreciated. :)

Do you run these headphones unamped? I ask because our experiences differ just a bit. I think with a Fiio E6, the sportapro's definitely sound a bit warmer and brighter. A quarter mod can enhance this effect as well.

I'm also wondering if you've EQ'ed either the portapro's or sportapro's. I EQ the portapro's with a +1.5/+1 boost in the highs and a -1.5/-1 drop in the bass, and the result is pretty darn sweet without having to fiddle around with mods. 

No worries!
beerchug.gif

I run most of my headphones unamped, because I prefer the convenience and portability. Most certainly, its not uncommon for an amplifier to change the sonic characteristics of headphones, depending on which amp you decide to use. I am most curious about the mods for the KSC-75, though can never bring myself to actually performing one since it is the fear of destroying the drivers that stops me haha.

I never EQ anything I have, speakers included (this being a big change compared to when I first found head-fi, big change in bank balance too lol). If a change in the sonic characteristics are required I can change between headphones/earphones and different speakers too (consider myself lucky
tongue.gif
). But a EQ can be very useful in adding more treble, bass or midrange (and vice versa), I used to own a Cowon G3 MP3 player that had EQ and all sorts of sound enhancements, but the EQ on the iphone is horrid. Theres a real science behind EQ-ing, I prefer boosting the frequencies, but sometimes the music will distort at louder volumes. Dropping the frequencies is better in that respect, but for the EQ's I have had experience with, makes the music sound darker and less enjoyable. In my opinion, the KSC-75 is good enough as it is, but it would be a good experiment to decrease the bass quantity of the sportapro, and see whether it brings out a bit more detail across the range.

May 13, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #56 of 1,437
Couldn't have said it better myself.

I wonder why Koss never packaged the 75 with the Sporta headband. It sure wouldn't cost them anything.

Now for our next trick. Try driving them off the speaker outs on that Rega Brio:)

http://www.head-fi.org/t/649107/speaker-amps-for-headphones

May 13, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #57 of 1,437
Quote:
Definately the sportapro headband with KSC-75 drivers. The comfort of the headband and the cleaner presentation of the KSC-75 are a good combination. Whilst the KSC-35 drivers have more bass quantity at the expense of some overall clarity, I have found the stock sportapro to be enjoyable as well with certain genres of music.

Great impressions! Everything you're saying seems about right. I can understand you enjoying the ksc75's on the sportapro headband, as I love mine on the parts express headband. I'll be getting the sportapro's very soon, and I'll be trying the ksc35 drivers on the ksc75 earclips, and also on the parts express headband (less pressure against the ears than with the sportapro headband I'm sure) to see how those combos work out.

I think that I may try this mod on them as well:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/124243/kramer-mod-ksc75/435#post_9302214

Cheers!

May 13, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #58 of 1,437
Can I listen to ksc75's for extended periods without fatigue ( a la grado brightness fatigue)?

I plan on listening at low volume, but want to be able to listen for extended periods. 

May 13, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #59 of 1,437
Quote:
Can I listen to ksc75's for extended periods without fatigue ( a la grado brightness fatigue)?

I plan on listening at low volume, but want to be able to listen for extended periods. 

I have never experienced fatigue with the 75's.

May 13, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #60 of 1,437
Quote:

They aren't fatiguing over extended periods of time. But if you have the clips bent tight against your ear you may feel some stress around your ear after a few hours.

Quote:
Couldn't have said it better myself.

I wonder why Koss never packaged the 75 with the Sporta headband. It sure wouldn't cost them anything.

Now for our next trick. Try driving them off the speaker outs on that Rega Brio:)

http://www.head-fi.org/t/649107/speaker-amps-for-headphones

haha, I think the current directly out of the amp will blow up the poor 60 ohm koss driver. 
deadhorse.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back